2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

doesn't surprise me (leading possession winner, most marks for us, most R50s on the ground and second most I50s and for what its worth second best DT score) another player whom is a step above SANFL footy, very good by AFL standard, building form after an injury...

The amount he is scapegoated and attacked on here, you pay very little to what most people say about him.
I like Jasper but he was putrid today that's the point best players rated on numbers in that dross is highly misleading.

Pittard named best?? Ffs. Stats always lie. I thought Snelling was good, better than him. Just because you touch the ball alot shouldnt get you a best on ground, what you F-ing did with it when you had it should!!

Yep, that's what I cannot accept Port people like Robbie Young forced to leave yet we have people on a AFL list with less talent and endeavor parading around as Port Adelaide footballers.

Yet theres people on this forum totally fine with it.

Apeartly Pittard, Frampton, Toumpas and others are more Port Adelaide than Louis Sharrad, Tommy Gray, Robbie Young, Luke Reynolds. Absolute BS!!

The AFL Reserves would be what the AFL is: VFL written large. The AFL Reserves do not happen because the 10 Vic clubs do not need it. They already have it...
But its not always about what the Vic clubs want. I think eventually all reserves sides will be aligned under one competition. Heck its already in the process of happening. First us and the Crows get specific reserves sides in the SANFL, then WCE and Freo get their the following season in the WAFL. The next logical step is ejection from the State leagues into a national reserves league. The language being used by CEOs, presidents and the AFL in recent times is very conducive to this becoming a reality.

But its not always about what the Vic clubs want. I think eventually all reserves sides will be aligned under one competition. Heck its already in the process of happening. First us and the Crows get specific reserves sides in the SANFL, then WCE and Freo get their the following season in the WAFL. The next logical step is ejection from the State leagues into a national reserves league. The language being used by CEOs, presidents and the AFL in recent times is very conducive to this becoming a reality.

I would go for it, don't get me wrong. I was just explaining why it hasn't happened yet.

It could even be a League just with the 8 interstate clubs; if there were money to pay for it (which is the only reason it is not in place yet, I assume). Two H&A round robins, plus 4 extra derby rounds, would give 18 Minor Round games for each club — 12 of those (2/3), in the clubs' respective home states. The issue is how to finance the 48 travels.

Last edited:

Apeartly Pittard, Frampton, Toumpas and others are more Port Adelaide than Louis Sharrad, Tommy Gray, Robbie Young, Luke Reynolds. Absolute BS!!

That is a ridiculous comment. People aren't fine with it but you have to accept the situation for what it is. Port Adelaide in the sanfl is not an independent club whose sole aim is to win a premiership. It is the Power's AFL reserves side so the bulk of its selection is predicated on the off cuts of the AFL squad and it exists to give senior experience to AFL listed players.

You will not see a traditional Port side in the sanfl again. Sharrad, T Gray, Young etc will go where there are opportunities. That's the reality.

There's been some moaning about the AFL game plan being the issue. More nonsense. Port tried to play direct attacking football early on and occasionally put together cohesive passages of play. But rarely. It's hardly surprising when there are maybe a handful of players from last year's grand final in the team.

And there's no structure forward or back because our drafting focuses so much on easy wins with high possession flankers/mids. Jimmy Toumpas is our CHB. Lindsay Thomas is our go to key forward.

We have to compete in a distorted marketplace for top up players because we have to pay them in refundable drink cans and bottles. And then we hamstring ourselves by topping up with a fleet of sub-180cm players.

Apart from all that, North Adelaide worked their arses off today. They ran hard, spread wide, overlapped, led up and made position all over the ground and gave us a flogging. They are very good. Our incoherent teamwork fell apart in the face of that onslaught as better sanfl teams than us have done this year.

And Jasper Pittard deserves a bit more respect too. He clangered a few times today but he put in all day and was a very sore boy at the end of the day. He was battered from pillar to post.

A couple of years ago the crows reserves were a bees dick from playing in a grand final. They are stone cold motherless last now. That's how quickly the wheel turns for the AFL reserves sides.

And you're so 'Port Adelaide' that you're a St Kilda supporter.

I don't think many care, and as the years go by far less will. It's the natural order of things. The magpie are the twos. Not many people turn up for what is consciously a level below the top. No one, absolutely no one - would be happy with our current reserves setup but as we know in this state, nothing is ever easy and nothing is ever efficient, fair or effective. People are going to care less and less as this setup continues but that's only going to hurt the SANFL, not us. (Well - except our development maybe.)

But let's be honest. Who wants to go and watch your side play with one hand tied and one leg missing every week because of stupid league rules. Not many. Sure, it's Port Adelaide but that's about where it ends. There is ultimately just far too much wrong with the state of our lot in the SANFL for people to get invested. Particularly the younger generations. In 10 years the crowds will be in the hundreds each week.

Sounds like a loveless marriage but both parties refuse to leave the house!

I think we would leave in a heartbeat if we could find a place to go. When the day we no longer need to share the roof with Lady Sanfool finally comes, she will still blame us for leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a ridiculous comment. People aren't fine with it but you have to accept the situation for what it is. Port Adelaide in the sanfl is not an independent club whose sole aim is to win a premiership. It is the Power's AFL reserves side so the bulk of its selection is predicated on the off cuts of the AFL squad and it exists to give senior experience to AFL listed players.

You will not see a traditional Port side in the sanfl again. Sharrad, T Gray, Young etc will go where there are opportunities. That's the reality.

There's been some moaning about the AFL game plan being the issue. More nonsense. Port tried to play direct attacking football early on and occasionally put together cohesive passages of play. But rarely. It's hardly surprising when there are maybe a handful of players from last year's grand final in the team.

And there's no structure forward or back because our drafting focuses so much on easy wins with high possession flankers/mids. Jimmy Toumpas is our CHB. Lindsay Thomas is our go to key forward.

We have to compete in a distorted marketplace for top up players because we have to pay them in refundable drink cans and bottles. And then we hamstring ourselves by topping up with a fleet of sub-180cm players.

Apart from all that, North Adelaide worked their arses off today. They ran hard, spread wide, overlapped, led up and made position all over the ground and gave us a flogging. They are very good. Our incoherent teamwork fell apart in the face of that onslaught as better sanfl teams than us have done this year.

And Jasper Pittard deserves a bit more respect too. He clangered a few times today but he put in all day and was a very sore boy at the end of the day. He was battered from pillar to post.

A couple of years ago the crows reserves were a bees dick from playing in a grand final. They are stone cold motherless last now. That's how quickly the wheel turns for the AFL reserves sides.

I think where the club went wrong was fighting so hard to keep the zones, something that was never going to hapoen, credit to em, but they were dreaming, what we shouldve done is protest the "top up" rules, if we want to pick em, we should! If AFL players arent performing they should be droped! The problem we have is we have to play an unbalaced side, we're either too tall or too small, we have to play players out of position because we HAVE to play em.

People think im against everything about the magpies being a power reserves side, im not! Im really not!! I just want change so we can have our cake and eat it too. We have a much better model than the crows, theres is a joke, but we're well off the VFL sides.

Trengove has been consistently very good, would be close to a call up I reckon!

I noticed we dominated the hitout stats, which excites me.

Couldn’t care any less about reserves results.

Sorry to hear of this debacle at Alberton.

There are always going to be point issues, folks taking time recovering confidence post injury, folks semi-checked out because thinking of opportunity elsewhere, folks told to “go back and focus on one thing”, A-grade level game plan being practiced with a fair set of B-grade level players, revolving door of B-coaches who want more independence to build their own CVs...

Still embarrassing though. But the answer is not to look at every brick wall as an opportunity to play at banging our foreheads. We’re not living in that world any more.

Bring on AFL reserves, it’ll surely have a sane, equitable top up model and help finally drain the SANFL swamp.

The “you learn the most by playing big bodies who hate you” argument is invalid currently because this year’s allowed mix of kids, amateurs and flankers, with the knife-twist of discouraging/excluding most long term “Magpie community” type top ups is mostly too weak to do much but practice AFL game plans of a sort. How productive is that learning when it requires doing training drills while ignoring scores and crowd abuse? Maybe it does strengthen mind and body in some ways. “Staying in the moment” and other current high-performance cliches.

On another, vaguer level you don’t learn “winning culture” if set up to be perpetually beaten up, you learn it IMO via a structure with goals properly set out of easy reach but not cynically unattainable.

Start a national AFL reserves and the player drain from the SANFL for top ups under a future model will sort the necessary competitive structure out. Won’t solve all the pathway issues on its own of course and I think “zones.next” per club with priority access via academies is going to be a fair bit of that.

Folks say VFL and WAFL are currently stronger than the SANFL yet those systems continue to produce more high quality draftees. We limp on with all the development drawbacks of being over-hobbled and yet the system doesn’t even produce “more, better” local draftees out of it all? If that isn’t the ultimate red flag for why the setup must change nothing is.

Just make this new comp stronger by draining the best remaining top ups out of the SANFL, equitably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear of this debacle at Alberton.

There are always going to be point issues, folks taking time recovering confidence post injury, folks semi-checked out because thinking of opportunity elsewhere, folks told to “go back and focus on one thing”, A-grade level game plan being practiced with a fair set of B-grade level players, revolving door of B-coaches who want more independence to build their own CVs...

Still embarrassing though. But the answer is not to look at every brick wall as an opportunity to play at banging our foreheads. We’re not living in that world any more.

Bring on AFL reserves, it’ll surely have a sane, equitable top up model and help finally drain the SANFL swamp.

The “you learn the most by playing big bodies who hate you” argument is invalid currently because this year’s allowed mix of kids, amateurs and flankers, with the knife-twist of discouraging/excluding most long term “Magpie community” type top ups is mostly too weak to do much but practice AFL game plans of a sort. How productive is that learning when it requires doing training drills while ignoring scores and crowd abuse? Maybe it does strengthen mind and body in some ways. “Staying in the moment” and other current high-performance cliches.

On another, vaguer level you don’t learn “winning culture” if set up to be perpetually beaten up, you learn it IMO via a structure with goals properly set out of easy reach but not cynically unattainable.

Start a national AFL reserves and the player drain from the SANFL for top ups under a future model will sort the necessary competitive structure out. Won’t solve all the pathway issues on its own of course and I think “zones.next” per club with priority access via academies is going to be a fair bit of that.

Folks say VFL and WAFL are currently stronger than the SANFL yet those systems continue to produce more high quality draftees. We limp on with all the development drawbacks of being over-hobbled and yet the system doesn’t even produce “more, better” local draftees out of it all? If that isn’t the ultimate red flag for why the setup must change nothing is.

Just make this new comp stronger by draining the best remaining top ups out of the SANFL, equitably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could even elevate the relevance of the Rookie Draft, becoming a Reserve Draft.

Those drafted in the Reserve Draft would be Reserve-only players, but clubs would have precedence for picking them in the main draft (just like current Academy players).

Trengove has been consistently very good, would be close to a call up I reckon!

I noticed we dominated the hitout stats, which excites me.

Couldn’t care any less about reserves results.

So you are happy if we have no depth, believe me if you had witnessed the last 2 games you would be worried !

So you are happy if we have no depth, believe me if you had witnessed the last 2 games you would be worried !

We don't have a 2nd team, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have no depth.

thank you FF

Drove from Victor to watch the game, was very disappointing. Credit to North, they were on our players to pressure almost every disposal, which we couldnt handle. Most depressing was how quickly and easily they moved the ball from defence to attack, often ending up lace out on the chest of a leading forward (oh to see that in any port side). I acknowledge our team is undersized and younger than many other SANFL teams, but if one aim is to have a similar game plan to the Power, then the Maggie’s have to be better at closing other teams down. Decision making and skills were atrocious, it was a perfect day for footy.

Agree with FF's comments.

Being Port born and bred has nothing to do with it. The PAFC does not have a say in the matter, Pittard, Frampton and Toumpas are all AFL listed players therefore they play. Sadly people on this forum have no say in the way the system operates and I am sure if most of us had our way players like Sharrad and Reynolds would still get a game with Port the SANFL but like the Club we have to go along with the current arrangement.

Personally I would be happy to sadly kiss the SANFL goodbye and have us play in an AFL Reserves competition. As it is we are being held to ransom by the SANFL and that is the BS part in it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back