2nds Port Adelaide vs WWT Eagles - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

My notes:

Evans was our best, played generally a class above the rest of our team all day.
Narkle was outstanding for a first up hitout. Some great ball use, I'm assuming that was a previous strength of his. His last quarter in the middle was part of a game changing spurt.
Hagan outstanding. Still 18 for another 4 months. Today 2 goals and 23 touches. Played inside and outside, and was generally everywhere. Looks like a long term better version of your McEntee type.
Dumont racked them up, but did a lot of the hard stuff without much polish. Pretty much the level he must maintain if he's to plug any injury holes at AFL level.
Mead, just completely lost on the wing. Not sure how many he had in the last, but was a big reason we got back into it when moved back on ball. Not sure where his career is at the moment.
Hayes, absolutely amazing last quarter, although a horror kick basically set off the chain of events where we lost the game. His early part of the game was just lazy, disconnected stuff in ruck, but that last quarter is the Hayes that should be playing AFL.
Jonas, a few moments of class, a few moments of stupidity, including giving away a killer goal in the last. Certainly hard to recall him after that.
Burgoyne on the wing had a few nice moments, a few really scintillating patches where he used his pace, but that wasn't the form of last year. I'm also not sure wing is his position. You can see the coaches are trying to find some wing depth with Burgoyne and Mead, but not sure either player suits it.
Fantasia was really poor. He has never been suited to the contested game and was just completely shut out. Good he got through, but I think our game has evolved past him as a type of player. I mean maybe at peak form he could replace Rioli, but he isn't replacing McEntee or SPP in their roles.
Jackson did one sublime piece of play, bursting out of a clearance and through a few players but was quite and pulled out early, I presume to be sub next week.
Visentini was pretty solid, and also dominant in ruck. Just looks pretty mobile out there as well.

Felt our top-ups were ok, other than Turner, he was horrible. Moore continues to play good roles for us shutting out Rowe. Szust is a real find.
Great review.
Jonas & Fantasia must be confirmed ins against Footscray then;)

My notes:

Evans was our best, played generally a class above the rest of our team all day.
Narkle was outstanding for a first up hitout. Some great ball use, I'm assuming that was a previous strength of his. His last quarter in the middle was part of a game changing spurt.
Hagan outstanding. Still 18 for another 4 months. Today 2 goals and 23 touches. Played inside and outside, and was generally everywhere. Looks like a long term better version of your McEntee type.
Dumont racked them up, but did a lot of the hard stuff without much polish. Pretty much the level he must maintain if he's to plug any injury holes at AFL level.
Mead, just completely lost on the wing. Not sure how many he had in the last, but was a big reason we got back into it when moved back on ball. Not sure where his career is at the moment.
Hayes, absolutely amazing last quarter, although a horror kick basically set off the chain of events where we lost the game. His early part of the game was just lazy, disconnected stuff in ruck, but that last quarter is the Hayes that should be playing AFL.
Jonas, a few moments of class, a few moments of stupidity, including giving away a killer goal in the last. Certainly hard to recall him after that.
Burgoyne on the wing had a few nice moments, a few really scintillating patches where he used his pace, but that wasn't the form of last year. I'm also not sure wing is his position. You can see the coaches are trying to find some wing depth with Burgoyne and Mead, but not sure either player suits it.
Fantasia was really poor. He has never been suited to the contested game and was just completely shut out. Good he got through, but I think our game has evolved past him as a type of player. I mean maybe at peak form he could replace Rioli, but he isn't replacing McEntee or SPP in their roles.
Jackson did one sublime piece of play, bursting out of a clearance and through a few players but was quite and pulled out early, I presume to be sub next week.
Visentini was pretty solid, and also dominant in ruck. Just looks pretty mobile out there as well.

Felt our top-ups were ok, other than Turner, he was horrible. Moore continues to play good roles for us shutting out Rowe. Szust is a real find.
Hayes outstanding last quarter but every time he takes a mark we must have a ball user running past for the handball because his kicking is woeful.
That kick you mentioned killed momentum missed the target by 30 metres.
Fantasia, be surprised if he played many more AFL games

Hayes stuff in the ruck, in the first few quarters was his problem. Continually tapping it to Eagles players, or pointlessly thumping it with no one else aware and Eagles players cleaning them up. He was terrible early, terrible. However his last quarter was outstanding. What needs to be asked, is why was he just playing his own game early.

Max gawn and the big O both routinely smash it forward. When you've got a dominant ruck it's a good tactic.

What should be asked is why aren't our sanfl duds taking advantage of it? Poor coaching?

So your writing Narkle off after one outstanding game? Motlop had 29 touches in an SANFL game? When?

Lol he had 29 KICKS (32 disposals overall) in the game against the eagles last year. Which we lost by 10 goals.

Had 29 and 2 goals in his other game against Nord last year

Lol he had 29 KICKS (32 disposals overall) in the game against the eagles last year. Which we lost by 10 goals.

Had 29 and 2 goals in his other game against Nord last year
LOL? You’re writing a player off after one game absolutely ridiculous

LOL? You’re writing a player off after one game absolutely ridiculous

As I said to the other guy, I'm not writing him off, I just think a small midfielder-cum-forward is a weird get given our list profile.

He's not getting a game as a mid unless we have butters, rozee and wines all go down at once.

He's 25, I doubt he's gonna suddenly improve from what he was at Geelong

I was sitting about 10 metres away from the last minute Scully contest, it wasn't a free. He fell over his own feet. That's not to say we weren't getting rogered by the umps for the first three quarters and 29 minutes, but the Scully contest wasn't a free.

I was sitting about 10 metres away from the last minute Scully contest, it wasn't a free. He fell over his own feet. That's not to say we weren't getting rogered by the umps for the first three quarters and 29 minutes, but the Scully contest wasn't a free.
Unfortunately Tom Scully had an absolute shocker today 1 possession for the whole game.

Max gawn and the big O both routinely smash it forward. When you've got a dominant ruck it's a good tactic.

What should be asked is why aren't our sanfl duds taking advantage of it? Poor coaching?
It's a good tactic if the team are aware of what you're doing, which certainly wasn't the case. Which is a worry, because it shows a disconnect there which probably highlights why he's not being picked.

Hayes stuff in the ruck, in the first few quarters was his problem. Continually tapping it to Eagles players, or pointlessly thumping it with no one else aware and Eagles players cleaning them up. He was terrible early, terrible. However his last quarter was outstanding. What needs to be asked, is why was he just playing his own game early.

I took the Jackson bit as a note that Boak won't be back this week and that Jackson will be sub.
Dead right about the taps going nowhere, we won the hit outs 54-19 !!
A bit like our appalling forward entries which we won 63 to 31 and lost! That is almost impossible to do.

It's a good tactic if the team are aware of what you're doing, which certainly wasn't the case. Which is a worry, because it shows a disconnect there which probably highlights why he's not being picked.

I wonder if that's a symptom of a lack of system/coaching though? We seem to have gone the absolute low budget option with the magpies and just seem to be throwing darts (excuse the pun) at the dartboard sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to focus off field. that loss was bitterly disappointing and it was not entirely down to the players. Tyson Goldsack's coaching, particularly in the first half was deplorable. He allowed the opposition to flood our forward 50 and had no counter. As I mentioned during the game there were times when the Eagles had as many as 14 players inside of our 50 waiting for the ball to come in. We were on top in the hit outs and got first use of the ball at the bounce often enough but in typical Hinkleyball fashion we ****ed around or fumbled which gave the Eagles time to set up in our forward 50.

After the game Goldsack had this to say...

“I just love the way they go about it; I love the way that our Magpies list of players turn up week in, week out.
We had guys like Tom Jonas back this week, Orazio Fantasia, Quinton Narkle for the first time, and they just slotted in and did what they do best. You know, it’s just a team of players that play a certain way and it doesn’t matter who it is or who it is against.”

Narkle was good particularly when he was used in the mid field but Jonas was OK and probably showed that the Port Magpies is the place for him and Fantasia kicked 0.1 from his 9 disposals. The way Goldsack is talking you would think we had won and I am pretty sure most of the supporters on this site would be pissed off with that effort.

Goldsack was obviously put into the SANFL role because he is one of Ken's 'yes men' who will do as he is told and coach to Ken's style of play and play players in positions Ken wants them to play in.

Incoming rant from a s**t game to watch.

We actively try not to win these games. Unless he is injured why is Jackson not out there?.

I get that we are developing but why is Hayes not rucking from he start of that quarter. Has shown on multiple games the ability to allow us to get a run on.

You know what until we decide that this club is about winning every time we take the field then we won't win when it matters.

Get us out of a competition where it matters if we win if you don't play to win.

Feel massively disrespected as a supporter.

Winning is a clear second priority. I don't have a problem with that. We're in the big league now and decisions have to be made around the senior side.

Incoming rant from a s**t game to watch.

We actively try not to win these games. Unless he is injured why is Jackson not out there?.

I get that we are developing but why is Hayes not rucking from he start of that quarter. Has shown on multiple games the ability to allow us to get a run on.

You know what until we decide that this club is about winning every time we take the field then we won't win when it matters.

Get us out of a competition where it matters if we win if you don't play to win.

Feel massively disrespected as a supporter.
Agree that I feel sold down :poov1: creek as far as coming to watch a side in the PB's not worry about the result. :(:mad:
Goes totally against the ethos of what the PAFC exists for.

However, I also understand that the bigger picture is the AFL side, so fair enough.

As such, I can't be bothered watching the Maggies any more. :sadv1::weary:
I'll just get too angry and foul mouthed!

Wish for anything that I could watch a side in black and white tear up the comp once more, like he good old days, but alas it is never gunna happen again............. :tired:

Agree that I feel sold down :poov1: creek as far as coming to watch a side in the PB's not worry about the result. :(:mad:
Goes totally against the ethos of what the PAFC exists for.

However, I also understand that the bigger picture is the AFL side, so fair enough.

As such, I can't be bothered watching the Maggies any more. :sadv1::weary:
I'll just get too angry and foul mouthed!

Wish for anything that I could watch a side in black and white tear up the comp once more, like he good old days, but alas it is never gunna happen again............. :tired:

Not in the sanfl.

The sanfl is a development comp 100%.

Winning is a clear second priority. I don't have a problem with that. We're in the big league now and decisions have to be made around the senior side.

Yep get that.Dont disagree with it but that is not my point (or points).

Point one.

We say we value the magpies, the snafl and the competition but take clear actions to show that we don't. In a competition where we have made an agreement to play to the line, there is still emotional attachment and value in us winning.

Again and for the elimination of any doubt I get it, it's about the A's , and the greater good but when you ask people to come and watch and you take people off who can win you the game, play people in positions that disadvantage your team, or have them sit out where they don't get a game and it disadvantages the team it is difficult to watch just look at the magpies game day thread .

It ain't going to change, it ain't going to happen, and it is what it is.... but contrarians be damned when you feel like you just have to reply......my point stands

Point two.

Success breeds success. A culture of winning valuing your teammates and playing for
the guernsey can be a powerful thing towards a successful culture. Playing to win instead of meeting your kpi to me is a much better result in the long run.

Didn't play at a high level but teammates jumper etc , was the theme of a lot of three quarter time addresses in games I played when we were in with a chance. Would be reasonably sure it is for our opponents.

In short get out of the snafl it hurts to watch. VFL lots of development teams so lots of mot trying to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back