News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the logic behind acadamies for QLD and NSW. But largely I agree with your post. It’s ridiculous that clubs can align already talented players with their academies.

Academies are fine by me as long as the opportunities are even between all clubs. We are going to pick up Lachie Jones for a bag of chips this year after all.

I’m sure me posting in this forum will bring about change.

by all means exploit it while it’s there. But I’d happily give up future fs if it meant future drafts being less compromised.
Until the Northern clubs stop getting their Academy and any other benefits , maybe then, but while this is almost the only benefit we will get in coming years, keep it.
Geelong has built a Dynasty on FS and I would love for Port to at least be given the same opportunity.

We have a guarantee to choose whether we want him. Once another club bids on him, we then have the choice whether to match that bid or not (with a discount for being part of our Academy). Unless the bid comes stupidly early it is highly likely he will be on our list next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With Cal Twomey now rating him a top ten prospect (even though an NGA candidate), define stupidly early.

We have a guarantee to choose whether we want him. Once another club bids on him, we then have the choice whether to match that bid or not (with a discount for being part of our Academy). Unless the bid comes stupidly early it is highly likely he will be on our list next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be able to match any bid for him provided the bid is at pick 3 or lower IIRC. Jones is better than any of the players we could get in this draft so it is a virtual certainty that we will be matching a bid for him.

Add Jones and Schofield via the draft, hopefully add a free agent who can be plugged into our best team from day 1, plus the development of all our young players who never played this year (Bergman, Williams, Mead, Pasini etc) & I would consider that a successful off season.

Academies are fine by me as long as the opportunities are even between all clubs. We are going to pick up Lachie Jones for a bag of chips this year after all.

I'd be fine with them if they were actually doing what they were set up to do, bring non-football kids into football. Not sons of gun premiership captains who happen to have once listened to Walk like an Egyptian on the radio.

This article is mainly a summary of the interview Lachie did with Cal Twomey and Nat Edwards, but has a nice pic of him in Ports training gear:

Screen-Shot-2020-09-26-at-1.57.30-PM.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article is mainly a summary of the interview Lachie did with Cal Twomey and Nat Edwards, but has a nice pic of him in Ports training gear:

Screen-Shot-2020-09-26-at-1.57.30-PM.png

I am just listening to the podcast now, but must admit, I looked at that photo and he could easily pass for an existing list member rather than a draft prospect.

I am just listening to the podcast now, but must admit, I looked at that photo and he could easily pass for an existing list member rather than a draft prospect.

Yeah, I reckon I saw that pic during the pre-season and probably thought it was Sam Mayes.

I can see the idea of him as a midfielder being popular. That he's an elite kick maybe more a S.Dew type role though.

Ah yes but an S.Dew who trained hard and stayed off the pies would’ve been a stellar midfielder.

I'd be fine with them if they were actually doing what they were set up to do, bring non-football kids into football. Not sons of gun premiership captains who happen to have once listened to Walk like an Egyptian on the radio.

I’d scrap academies being tied to AFL teams, but allow zone bidding in the first round. This would help shake the ‘go home factor’ a little bit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lachie Jones - Been a Port fan all my life growing up in a household of crows fans so be pretty good playing against my family's favourite team 😂

How can you not love the kid already?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back