Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Nick Riewoldt is only 193? That's mind blowing.
The things that stick in your mind.
We were playing St Kilda at AO, Nick out pointed Jacko marking it only 20m out when someone in our crowd yelled
"Riewoldt your a champion.....

ya long streak of Pelican s**t"

Does Scott Hodges and Dan Houston being a 1cm difference in height blow anyone's mind?
Nope. Chris Judd was taller than the 2 ruckmen in the AFL team of the century.

It's an interesting thing. Taylor Walker is tall by standards in a small town footy league and therefore started learning to play forward and develop his game there, which he has taken to AFL level, despite being a fairly 'undersized' by modern standards. If he were in a city however, he may never have been a key position player and that changes everything.

I wonder if we will start to see more things like this coming through. Players in more remote areas learning positions that there's no way they'd play in bigger leagues, and how that affects the draft and what not.

Sent from mTalk

Wait, Nick Riewoldt is only 193? That's mind blowing.
You look at the heights of Rucks / KPF's from teams of the century and half of them would be classified as small mid's or forwards these days. I'm 6'1' and would be a small mid or forward for that height, but would have been a KPF (if only I'd had any talent) or even possibly a ruck if I'd played in the 1940's or 50's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of you may find this of interest, especially if you want to know why we are considering going down the Sydney co-captain route.

Its Cornes' conversation with Leading Teams guru Ray McLean and also Alan Stewart who gave McLean a go.

First one, back at the start of January I heard a replay interview that Cornes did with Allan Stewart. he was talking about the changes he made early on at getting the coaching gig at Centrals, then appointed a surprise new captain after his first year when existing skipper retired, and at 27 minute mark he says;

"Late in 1992 (end of 2nd year as coach), I had a phone call from a lad called Russell Evans, who played a little bit of football for Port Adelaide, but he was at the RAAF base, doing leadership training. I wanted to change our culture and I had a meeting with him," Cornes interrupts - he rang you? "Yep he rang me," Cornes again - like people often ring coaches and say I can do this I can do that, you should look at this you should look at that? "He actually said I'm doing this sort of stuff and he wanted to get a leg in, and he came and met me. I said I like the ideas, but I don't, I don't think you've got the presence to get it happening in front of my group. And to Russell's great credit, he didn't, he said look my boss, Ray McLean, does this all the time with the Orion pilots at the RAAF base."

So at 28 minute mark they start talking about Ray McLean's involvement, the initial 2 hour meeting and mentioned the 1992/93 preseason camp at Palmer in the Adelaide Hills and Stewart says this was the turning point for the Central Districts Football Club. I don't remember Russell Evans who played 21 games for Port between 1984-1986, according to the wiki page on list of Port Adelaide players. But if he had said * you to Stewart, Ray McLean may never have gotten into footy and sports leadership business. Hear all of Stewart's interview at;
https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/conversations-with-cornesy/Alan-Stewart

So about 2 weeks ago I went for a long walk/run and was going to play some music at the start, but though lets hear who Cornes is interviewing today. It was Ray McLean. It was bloody interesting to me and I have kept checking Cornes' links on 5AA's website to listen to it again. The Centrals Palmer preseason camp Stewart mentioned above is discussed in full as does his evolution of working with/ the dynamics of teams in the RAAF. Hear it all at;

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/conversations-with-cornesy/Ray-McLean

Edit - Sydney talk starts at about 27 minute mark.

Last edited:
Some of you may find this of interest, especially if you want to know why we are considering going down the Sydney co-captain route.

Its Cornes' conversation with Leading Teams guru Ray McLean and also Alan Stewart who gave McLean a go.

First one, back at the start of January I heard a replay interview that Cornes did with Allan Stewart. he was talking about the changes he made early on at getting the coaching gig at Centrals, then appointed a surprise new captain after his first year when existing skipper retired, and at 27 minute mark he says;

"Late in 1992 (end of 2nd year as coach), I had a phone call from a lad called Russell Evans, who played a little bit of football for Port Adelaide, but he was at the RAAF base, doing leadership training. I wanted to change our culture and I had a meeting with him," Cornes interrupts - he rang you? "Yep he rang me," Cornes again - like people often ring coaches and say I can do this I can do that, you should look at this you should look at that? "He actually said I'm doing this sort of stuff and he wanted to get a leg in, and he came and met me. I said I like the ideas, but I don't, I don't think you've got the presence to get it happening in front of my group. And to Russell's great credit, he didn't, he said look my boss, Ray McLean, does this all the time with the Orion pilots at the RAAF base."

So at 28 minute mark they start talking about Ray McLean's involvement, the initial 2 hour meeting and mentioned the 1992/93 preseason camp at Palmer in the Adelaide Hills and Stewart says this was the turning point for the Central Districts Football Club. I don't remember Russell Evans who played 21 games for Port between 1984-1986, according to the wiki page on list of Port Adelaide players. But if he had said **** you to Stewart, Ray McLean may never have gotten into footy and sports leadership business. Hear all of Stewart's interview at;
https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/conversations-with-cornesy/Alan-Stewart

So about 2 weeks ago I went for a long walk/run and was going to play some music at the start, but though lets hear who Cornes is interviewing today. It was Ray McLean. It was bloody interesting to me and I have kept checking Cornes' links on 5AA's website to listen to it again. The Centrals Palmer preseason camp Stewart mentioned above is discussed in full as does his evolution of working with/ the dynamics of teams in the RAAF. Hear it all at;

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/conversations-with-cornesy/Ray-McLean
Thanks will have a listen tonight, not that I am one who is concerned about co captains anyway.

That’s one of the more rediculous things I’ve seen.

I don't reckon so. The options we had last year were Hoff and Gray.

By elite it normally means they are in the top few in the competition of their position.

You could name a million midfielders who were better than ours, a million forward and a million defenders.

Adelaide would have Talia, Laird and M. Crouch at minimum. I believe Seedsman was an elite winger this year too.

I don't reckon so. The options we had last year were Hoff and Gray.

By elite it normally means they are in the top few in the competition of their position.

You could name a million midfielders who were better than ours, a million forward and a million defenders.

Adelaide would have Talia, Laird and M. Crouch at minimum. I believe Seedsman was an elite winger this year too.

Apparently Aaron Hall is Elite, Majak Daw is Elite ?

Yet Ryder isn’t, Westhoff isn’t, Jonas isn’t ?

It's an interesting thing. Taylor Walker is tall by standards in a small town footy league and therefore started learning to play forward and develop his game there, which he has taken to AFL level, despite being a fairly 'undersized' by modern standards. If he were in a city however, he may never have been a key position player and that changes everything.

I wonder if we will start to see more things like this coming through. Players in more remote areas learning positions that there's no way they'd play in bigger leagues, and how that affects the draft and what not.

Sent from mTalk
Nah Sa traditionally have a small FF, Panos springs to mind and so does that small guy that played full forward for SA this year that was so vanilla ive forgotten his name completely

Champion datas "elite" players for 2019

ADELAIDE
Rory Sloane
Rory Laird
Brodie Smith
Eddie Betts
Tom Lynch
Paul Seedsman

BRISBANE LIONS
Dayne Zorko
Lachie Neale
Harris Andrews
Daniel Rich

CARLTON
Kade Simpson

COLLINGWOOD
Brodie Grundy
Jack Crisp
Jeremy Howe
Jordan De Goey

ESSENDON
Orazio Fantasia
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Adam Saad

FREMANTLE
Nat Fyfe
David Mundy

GEELONG
Patrick Dangerfield
Tom Hawkins
Sam Menegola

GWS GIANTS
Zac Williams
Callan Ward
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Phil Davis

HAWTHORN
Jack Gunston
Luke Breust
James Sicily

MELBOURNE
Clayton Oliver
Max Gawn
Tom McDonald
Jake Lever

NORTH MELBOURNE
Ben Cunnington
Majak Daw
Jared Polec
Aaron Hall
Trent Dumont

PORT ADELAIDE
Robbie Gray

RICHMOND
Dustin Martin
Jack Riewoldt
Alex Rance
Shane Edwards
Kane Lambert
Josh Caddy

ST KILDA
Jade Gresham

SYDNEY
Lance Franklin
Jake Lloyd

WEST COAST
Jeremy McGovern
Nic Naitanui
Josh Kennedy
Shannon Hurn
Tom Barrass

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Matthew Suckling
Lachie Hunter

Like all rating systems, it relies on stats. They will never rate negating defenders properly because negating your opponent helps you win the game, but doesn't generate any stats.

Westhoff was an elite KPF because he plays on the wing. You have to take these with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back