Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was frustrating though Ford seeing a lift in intensity in the final quarter on Sunday ....
But did we lift. Or did GWS just ease off? The latter for me, when the scores got close they just put their foot down again.

Mate the club wouldn't care two fifths of duck all what I post.

Everything I posted there is true.

There's no need for keyboard warriors to run our players into the ground like that and it goes on way too much.

Have a crack at them for decision making or skill errors but to say that they don't put in is dead set low.

Rockliff and Watts weren't performing and were dropped. They have been better players since coming back.

Dixon is probably 10 kgs lighter than his GC days and works his arse off every week.

Polec plays every week with a dodgy foot and would be in the top 3 of our BnF.

Ryder can barely train with his Achilles injury but comes out every week and risks it to give his all as an undersized ruck.

These are facts and to say these players and others coast through their contracts is an insulting joke.
Plus as I stated elsewhere several different people have said publicly that this is the hardest working group they have ever coached. I hate the lazy tag too. It’s a total cop out. There are obviously issues but laziness is not one of them.

But did we lift. Or did GWS just ease off? The latter for me, when the scores got close they just put their foot down again.

They were under siege for most of that last quarter but great defence and poor offensive strategy and skills meant we only kicked one goal. We definitely had a red hot go, we just weren’t good enough.

There's no need for keyboard warriors to run our players into the ground like that and it goes on way too much.

Have a crack at them for decision making or skill errors but to say that they don't put in is dead set low.

Rockliff and Watts weren't performing and were dropped. They have been better players since coming back.

Dixon is probably 10 kgs lighter than his GC days and works his arse off every week.

Ryder can barely train with his Achilles injury but comes out every week and risks it to give his all as an undersized ruck.

These are facts and to say these players and others coast through their contracts is an insulting joke.

I’m with you mate. These guys work damn hard and maybe it’s too hard and there is too much information / instruction.

In the first 10 mins on Sunday we looked to have some real zest and purpose about our movement. Skills let us down and players went into safe mode.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey mate, settle down. You are right in defending the players. They are not the problem. But don’t overdo it.
I am here to defend the players, too.
If anyone gains the impression the players are ‘coasting’ it’s wrong, but why is such an impression there?

Wingard. During and after the match versus Hawthorn he was crucified, justly, for his appalling body language and performance. Was he ‘cruising’? Bloody oath. But why?
Next match he was started in the middle from the opening bounce.
Wingard enacted that decision, not Our Ken who was, to his shock, confronted with the option to drop him.
Wingard should have been in the centre square from the moment the season started, and the main man, the senior coach, was blind to the fact.

Frampton - promised AFL action by Our Ken at end 2018, sent for early shoulder surgery to get him right for that, missed the Magpies grand final which we lost by a point. Well done, Ken, especially considering that you have double crossed the young bloke who could thus be forgiven for cruising ... but hasn’t. What does he do if not selected this week? Keep trying even though his last chance has gone? Or cruise into delistment?

Any poster who sees players ‘cruising’ has cause for such interpretation, and the right to express his opinion.

Ford, it’s not just you. Everyone at the Club is shirty and on a short fuse. Why? Nobody dares give a straight answer, especially Our Ken, who has no clue and whom everyone has dared not to fail.
Self-fulfilling prophesy perhaps.

Rockliff has been dropped this year and come back a better player.

Watts has been dropped this year and come back a better player.

Ryder has played week in week out carrying an injury but giving his all for the club.

Dixon is by far a fitter, harder working all round player than he was at Gold Coast.

Polec was dropped several times to develop the defensive side of his game. He works through a career threatening foot injury every year to give his all for the club.

But yeah these guys came to Port Adelaide to coast through their contracts. What a pathetic comment. Sometimes I wonder if some people here even actually support this club and the players.

Well said. Spot on.

Not just those either. Matt White came here and had his best 2 seasons of football. Gus Monfries had his best season of football under Ken.

Did you ever think of starting a band called "Hermetically Sealed" and putting your lyrics to music?

It's been done...

c9003208-861a-4e19-ac4b-c3e60fe2d9bc.png

I thought our intensity and effort was fine the whole game. Our skill level was a disgrace. We got back into the game because we stopped turning it over.

Well said. Spot on.

Not just those either. Matt White came here and had his best 2 seasons of football. Gus Monfries had his best season of football under Ken.
Irrelevant.

Wingard should have been in the centre square from the moment the season started, and the main man, the senior coach, was blind to the fact.

Wingard did a hamstring in the pre season, then hurt it again in Round 4 but kept playing, then hurt it again 2 weeks later. Hard to play someone in the guts when they are yanking their hammy every couple of weeks. Chads form at the start of the year was alright. The overreaction to his Hawthorn game was ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard did a hamstring in the pre season, then hurt it again in Round 4 but kept playing, then hurt it again 2 weeks later. Hard to play someone in the guts when they are yanking their hammy every couple of weeks. Chads form at the start of the year was alright. The overreaction to his Hawthorn game was ridiculous.
Regardless, he wasn’t dropped, started the next game in the middle and hasn’t looked back.

Its completely relevant. Fords post was spot on. PAP's post was ill informed and incorrect.
Aha ... we have a clique of moderators.

Absolutely agree with Roos- this squad is lazy and protected by Ken. No wonder so many individuals want to come to Port - coast through the last few years of their contracts while Ken protects them. We have been called downhill skiers on so many occasions, we just don't want to work hard enough.

We will never achieve anything and this seems acceptable.

I don't think anyone is lazy.

Robbie aside, disillusioned and therefore trapped in a doom-loop of wavering confidence, inconsistency and underperformance is what I'd be banking on.

Watching this team grind its way to mindboggling failure year-in/year-out is mentally draining, imagine the impact of what preparing yourself 24/7/365 to play in it must have.

If anyone has a look back at Macca's or my posting the past few days they will find criticism of decisions made and football played.

But because we agree that a particular comment made about players is bang out of order and give clear examples to the contrary hardly makes us a clique or on a short fuse.

Wingard has played some incredible football in the forward line so I don't see it as a huge blunder for him to be put there. Unfortunately he just wasnt having the same impact there that we know he's capable of (what forward is having a great year?) Much like Robbie you wish there was two of him so you could play him in both positions.

Wingard would still be playing excellent football up forward if the game plan wasn't so broken. Its just not working. Simple as that.

Our percentage has been the elephant in the room all year. Well below the other teams who look to be a threat, and a huge reason why I was never completely sold.

We simply don't pass the eye test. Even when we beat Sydney, Melbourne and Richmond we just didn't feel or look to be on that premiership level. As the year has dragged on its become more apparent, now were a few injuries short of best 22 on the park and we look completely at sea.

We were just that borderline for the entire season and we've tipped over in the past few weeks.

We need a better assistant coach. Look at 2014..and then we dropped off..and now?

Losing is disappointing, it’s the manner we lose by when we lose that pisses most off.

And the media hammering us, well some fans have taken the bait and turned on each other.

I’ve long wondered if you were one of us, playing the long troll.

Seems entirely plausible at the moment :D

Pfft. You only got your inside guy to post s**t on Bigfooty, we got our inside guy into the Crows' Head of Football role.

If anyone has a look back at Macca's or my posting the past few days they will find criticism of decisions made and football played.

But because we agree that a particular comment made about players is bang out of order and give clear examples to the contrary hardly makes us a clique or on a short fuse.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-07-24/dixon-were-still-in-this

I believe Dixon's being genuine in his comments from his interview.

“We’re frustrated as a team, the coaches are as well and our skills have let us down massively in the last three or four weeks and we’ve got to sort that out because it’s coming into crunch time.”

Dixon said his team was trying to be the best it could and was working hard to improve.

“We’re out there trying to play our style and it’s breaking down in some areas but we’re working tirelessly to try and get that back and sort that out,” he said.

“No one goes out there to be bad or to not try.

“We want to be better for (the fans) because they show up and they’re unreal and they’re so loud at our home games, and even our away games we get a lot of numbers there and I thank them for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back