Game Day Port vs Roos - JLT #2

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked to me like Ryder and Motlop were the main additions to the centre square just as the Kangaroos started getting their run-on in the first quarter.

Our defence also tightened up through the middle two quarters and coped better with repelling their clearances without conceding a score each time.

That run on was overrated. It was more to do with our * ups than North actually gaining any sort of ascendancy in the middle. Motlop handballed straight to a North player when we were on the break and Boak did exactly the same thing (though not as bad) when he tried to handball underneath a North player to Ebert. That’s why they caught us out of position going the other way. Then there was a free kick paid against Gray for holding the ball that was more of a lack of talk than anything, because he had all the time in the world to dispose of the ball but just didn’t.

They had like two goals from centre clearance that were kicked based on great defensive pressure in the middle. I also liked the free kick that Lycett somehow got pinged for at the opening bounce when he simply contested the ruck that was never called again.

Then you’ve got those stupid 50m penalties that were given away that weren’t about being hit late like Darcy’s was but doing stupid s**t like kicking the ball away and running through the protected area.

Fix up the sloppiness - which is more about getting match sharpened than anything - and you’re looking at a 123 to 66 scoreline.

That run on was overrated. It was more to do with our **** ups than North actually gaining any sort of ascendancy in the middle. Motlop handballed straight to a North player when we were on the break and Boak did exactly the same thing (though not as bad) when he tried to handball underneath a North player to Ebert. That’s why they caught us out of position going the other way. Then there was a free kick paid against Gray for holding the ball that was more of a lack of talk than anything, because he had all the time in the world to dispose of the ball but just didn’t.

They had like two goals from centre clearance that were kicked based on great defensive pressure in the middle. I also liked the free kick that Lycett somehow got pinged for at the opening bounce when he simply contested the ruck that was never called again.

Then you’ve got those stupid 50m penalties that were given away that weren’t about being hit late like Darcy’s was but doing stupid s**t like kicking the ball away and running through the protected area.

Fix up the sloppiness - which is more about getting match sharpened than anything - and you’re looking at a 123 to 66 scoreline.
That's true Janus, I noted that too. We made a number of mid-field stuff-ups during the North run of goals.

But, and big BUTT ... the failure of our defence to curb that run of goals is very concerning. The Port coaches have mentioned it too. We are going to come up against some damned good mid-field combinations that will best our mids at times. None more so than the Melbourne combination of Gawn & Co. We have to come up with a better defensive strategy and effort than the garbage we have produced over the last two weeks at times!

Almost every one of our defenders, bar Houston, seems put off form. My fear is that our defenders are struggling with the new rules. Without being able to have a spare man in defense, they seem to be exposed to more agile forwards.

That's true Janus, I noted that too. We made a number of mid-field stuff-ups during the North run of goals.

But, and big BUTT ... the failure of our defence to curb that run of goals is very concerning. The Port coaches have mentioned it too. We are going to come up against some damned good mid-field combinations that will best our mids at times. None more so than the Melbourne combination of Gawn & Co. We have to come up with a better defensive strategy and effort than the garbage we have produced over the last two weeks at times!

Almost every one of our defenders, bar Houston, seems put off form. My fear is that our defenders are struggling with the new rules. Without being able to have a spare man in defense, they seem to be exposed to more agile forwards.

I don't think you can judge it when our midfield isn't putting any pressure on their midfield when delivering the ball because they are all streaming forward thinking Gray/Motlop/Boak has the ball now, it's time to attack. You'd probably find our defenders were pushing forward at that point as well.

It's a different story when we lose the ball at a contest and everyone can see it and react accordingly, which is what will happen when we lose the clearance to a better midfield group. But when the mids are caught out of position because they think they've won the clearance, it allows the opposition midfield too much time and space to execute and put the ball exactly where their forwards want it.

As soon as we got Motlop and Ryder out of the middle - who in my opinion are too...I'm going to use the word 'dainty' until I can find a better one...for an opening quarter set when everyone is still feeling each other out - and started to use an explosive bull like Powell-Pepper as our clearance guy, we were fine. And what I mean by 'dainty' is that both Ryder and Motlop like the art of clearance work...they'll paint up a play and want it to look beautiful as it comes out of the centre square...whereas a guy like Powell-Pepper is just 'get out of the way' like a Dangerfield or a Martin.

I'd want Ryder and Motlop as part of the secondary clearance group, when it's 5 minutes to go in the quarter, everyone is tired and there's more space to operate.

I don't think you can judge it when our midfield isn't putting any pressure on their midfield when delivering the ball because they are all streaming forward thinking Gray/Motlop/Boak has the ball now, it's time to attack. You'd probably find our defenders were pushing forward at that point as well.

It's a different story when we lose the ball at a contest and everyone can see it and react accordingly, which is what will happen when we lose the clearance to a better midfield group. But when the mids are caught out of position because they think they've won the clearance, it allows the opposition midfield too much time and space to execute and put the ball exactly where their forwards want it.

As soon as we got Motlop and Ryder out of the middle - who in my opinion are too...I'm going to use the word 'dainty' until I can find a better one...for an opening quarter set when everyone is still feeling each other out - and started to use an explosive bull like Powell-Pepper as our clearance guy, we were fine. And what I mean by 'dainty' is that both Ryder and Motlop like the art of clearance work...they'll paint up a play and want it to look beautiful as it comes out of the centre square...whereas a guy like Powell-Pepper is just 'get out of the way' like a Dangerfield or a Martin.

I'd want Ryder and Motlop as part of the secondary clearance group, when it's 5 minutes to go in the quarter, everyone is tired and there's more space to operate.
I see what you mean, although I am not 100% on agreement. I will tell you why. In any match, against any opposition, at times we will win the ball in the midfield but still turn it over, as we did in the 1st against North. Probably more so against more capable midfields. We KNOW it is going to happen, so we just have to have a contingency for this! We have to plan for this to happen on occasions. If not we will bleed in 2019. IMO, this is our biggest weakness this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back