Preview Ports 'n' Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken is right. It’s time to go after it.

Thats long past, you don't just decide to "go after it" after pissing up all you opportunities and sitting on the verge if missing finals, when a just over month ago we were contenders in the race for top 2, now battling not to finish 9th.

Last edited:
541757_5a0cab85c55afe9b9fe26be47f845950.png

LOL

In '82 I was 11 and rocked the exact same Tee

I had some ridiculous bowl haircut though ...... :oops:

Hopefully it's a good game with no injuries, both clubs have their fair share atm.

Good club footy, sick of playing franchises.

Agreed - don’t think with could handle any more!

And doubly agree on your second point, love the long history of port.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll win this.
I reckon!

We are decent at the G and not having Dixon will stop the bomb ins.

The only thing perhaps hurting us is the mental aspect of Saturday.

I doubt a lot of things.

I don’t doubt the direction either the club or the coach is taking.

The only reason this board is an echo chamber of negativity is because everyone who has a positive opinion is railroaded out of here and just stops posting.

It’s like the Watts to defence move. You want to know why that happened? It was because we were getting smashed in hitouts, which is the very thing you need to win if you want to get a clean clearance and hit up a lead up forward like Watts. With Dixon in the side that’s not a problem because all the defenders naturally gravitate towards him regardless and so Watts could still get free up the ground.

When Ryder went down, Westhoff was needed in ruck. Ordinarily we would have sent him back to cover McGovern after Dixon went down.

The problem with McGovern is that he’s a great mark in the air - something neither Jonas, Howard or Clurey are that good at defending. As we saw with tragic results. So we decided to supplement our defence with Watts playing on him but also taking over Houston’s role and try to play on the counter.

The issue was that with the reduction in rotations, it was impossible to generate any run...so the only thing we could do is shut it down.

We had multiple opportunities to ice the game but because of the ghosts of West Coast past we got spooked and tried to go for the killing blow instead of being calm and composed and just retaining the ball. Probably due in no small part to the crowd willing them to play on instead of going backwards, which they probably would have booed...because that’s how dumb our crowds are. And that dumbness infects our players. Because no coach would have instructed them to do that with only 19 fit players.
******* lel.

it was the crowds fault.

The only reason this board is an echo chamber of negativity is because everyone who has a positive opinion is railroaded out of here and just stops posting.

Sure thing.

OneGreatClub is the canary in the coalmine here. This club has managed to wreck the trust of even the most loyal optimists.

Sure thing.

OneGreatClub is the canary in the coalmine here. This club has managed to wreck the trust of even the most loyal optimists.

I just don't get how you can watch us in totality from 2015-2018 and conclude we're on the right path, let alone capable of the ultimate success.

Sure, there have been fleeting moments where we seemed to have recaptured the essence of what made us so promising in 2013/14 (schooling Hawthorn twice in 2015, particularly the late fixture at the Dome), but cripes.

If posters are negative (chiefly me, as I went particularly early and hard because I'm not deluded and could see this era being wasted) it's for good reason.

Zero finals wins from one appearance* (a home EF vs 8th) in four seasons. And the cliff's coming.

A month ago I had this pencilled in for the W - we match up well against them, they have a bunch of outs and we (usually) play the G well. It would have been a good dress rehearsal for a possible rematch in finals week 1.

Now it's a real 50/50 game - we have key outs but more importantly are way down on confidence. It's doubtful a lot of that is going to be restored in five days.

The last two losses were almost terminal, but let's not forget but for a couple of poor decisions late, each could have gone the other way and the whole world would look different. So we have the ability to win, we just need to step up.

I think perhaps we will. We tend to do better when we're being written off, which we are (even by the AFL's own media, who last week were still saying the Crows could make it). Would just like to see a game that we take on for four quarters, because when that happens we are good enough to beat the best. I am now the most nervous in games when we get a few goals up, it seems the players are the same.

We need on-field leadership and the midfield to fire. If SPP plays, his pass mark is 25 possessions.

Port by 18. I can see it panning out like the Carlton game where a purple patch of individual brilliance is enough to get us over the line. Let's not forget R Gray and Wingard are both in great form at the moment.

I just don't get how you can watch us in from 2015-2018 and conclude we're on the right path, let alone capable of the ultimate success.

Sure, there have been fleeting moments where we seemed to have recaptured the essence of what made us so promising in 2013/14 (schooling Hawthorn twice in 2015, particularly the late fixture at the Dome), but cripes.

If posters (chiefly me, as I went particularly early and hard because I'm not deluded and could see this era being wasted) are negative it's for good reason.

Zero finals wins from one appearance* (a home EF vs 8th) in four seasons.

I vented hard for a week after Hinkley was re-signed. The acquisitions over the offseason certainly went a long way towards me regaining some positivity. I had a look at the list and thought we should be a real contender. I was content to see us play ugly, low scoring football if it meant putting wins on the board.

But 12 months later, we're still talking about not setting up properly in crucial moments of crucial games, we have a team looking utterly confused instead of playing instinctually, our three main recruits have regressed as players and we still havent blooded Ryder's backup. My glimmer of hope for this season died when I watched us lose clearance after clearance against GWS.

My non-negotiable at the start of the year was that we beat the teams that have had the wood on us for years. That way I would know that we'd improved. The games against Essendon, West Coast x 2, Adelaide, and GWS were all I needed to see. Oh and a not-so-shock loss to Freo.
Put a fork in us.

Macca, what would be the repercussions around the Club do you think if we did get that kind of thrashing? I know I'd be banished again for the rest of the weekend, as I was for the last.

If we miss out on the finals this year then jobs should be lost. Many jobs. Clean out territory. As we heard in the pre season, we are/were all in for a flag this year. To not even make the finals is a massive fail.

Great preview Magpiespower, it’s not often you read one with a personal touch. That shirt, now there’s some cool retro merch (absolutely kills the K-Martian retro creations that flop into existence every year).

As for the game, well, I can only think that it’ll end in heartbreak again. Bad things in threes isn’t it?

Jenkins poster, Gov after the siren, ?

I dunno, something real stupid, let’s go with a free at the death for too many players on the field leading to the matchwinner.

Yeah, that feels about right.

If we miss out on the finals this year then jobs should be lost. Many jobs. Clean out territory. As we heard in the pre season, we are/were all in for a flag this year. To not even make the finals is a massive fail.

Like who though?

• Hinkley is locked in until the end of 2021
• Voss just got extended for another 2 years
• Cornes and Thompson are here for the long haul
• Nicks is already off to GWS
• Greaves is going home to Vic

Who leaves? Koch? Nah. Thomas? Nah. Davies? Nah.

Cripps? Lade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back