Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

The bye will do him [Ginbey] good. Agree that he has been taking an absolute beating for a first year player and likely will need to be managed for at least an additional week during the second half of the season.

Regarding Sheed - he is icing when we are missing the cake. In a strong team, where he doesn't receive targeted opposition attention and can fly under the radar due to the eye-catching quality of superior teammates, he can be very effective and damaging. However, in a much weaker team where he is expected to be the primary driver, he will go missing against physical attention and his defensive frailties will be increasingly exposed.

He is so defensively unaccountable that his presence in the middle is arguably a net liability at the moment as opponents know they can effectively create an additional midfield spare by getting his marker to run into corridor space whenever they [the opponent] take possession of the ball.

The combination of Sheed & Gaff does feel a bit similar to Priddis & Mitchell in 2017 in the way that due to their lack of pace neither are able to make any defensive impact once the ball is more than three metres away from them.

Difference of course is Priddis was 32 in 2017 whereas Sheed is 28 this year and contracted for the next two seasons after this one.

If trade interest came in for him at the end of the season I would jump at it, but I would be surprised if there were any suitors, or indeed that Dom would be himself interested in leaving.
I think sheed would be quite damaging rotating wing/HFF. The sooner we get the next generation of onballers going, the better. Him and Kelly playing wing/HFF would be lethal if we had even an average on ball team to support them.

Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
I'd already watched the first 2.5 quarters amd don't like leaving things unfinished.

The bye will do him [Ginbey] good. Agree that he has been taking an absolute beating for a first year player and likely will need to be managed for at least an additional week during the second half of the season.

Regarding Sheed - he is icing when we are missing the cake. In a strong team, where he doesn't receive targeted opposition attention and can fly under the radar due to the eye-catching quality of superior teammates, he can be very effective and damaging. However, in a much weaker team where he is expected to be the primary driver, he will go missing against physical attention and his defensive frailties will be increasingly exposed.

He is so defensively unaccountable that his presence in the middle is arguably a net liability at the moment as opponents know they can effectively create an additional midfield spare by getting his marker to run into corridor space whenever they [the opponent] take possession of the ball.

The combination of Sheed & Gaff does feel a bit similar to Priddis & Mitchell in 2017 in the way that due to their lack of pace neither are able to make any defensive impact once the ball is more than three metres away from them.

Difference of course is Priddis was 32 in 2017 whereas Sheed is 28 this year and contracted for the next two seasons after this one.

If trade interest came in for him at the end of the season I would jump at it, but I would be surprised if there were any suitors, or indeed that Dom would be himself interested in leaving.

Arguable whether he offers enough icing regardless. But yeah, I'm only happy with him in the side as a HFF who gets little to no CBD time, with 4-5 forwards around him who can cover his defensive liabilities. But even then, if we want to be getting games into Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser, 2023 R1, etc, will it be productive to be playing Sheed?

I'm not suggesting there's a likely solution, I fully expect him to be a mainstay over the next few years, just frustratingly so.

I think sheed would be quite damaging rotating wing/HFF. The sooner we get the next generation of onballers going, the better. Him and Kelly playing wing/HFF would be lethal if we had even an average on ball team to support them.
The problem with Sheed as a HFF is the rebound his opponent would give.

Big positives (the listed WAFL team as always up against it so no surprises):
We have found a good ruckman
Ginbey is on track
We have found a tall very bobile and athletic forward that can kick.
Allen is mentally onsong
JD is finding form and touch
Long is a terrier
Kelly is a gem
Yoe is top shelf
Hough will be a AA wingman
Chesser, in an overwhelming experience worked, into the game and was getting his hands dirty
XON ran it out well (cudos for a guy have havent been a fan of)
Trew did a few things well when he came on
Clark has character and worked hard
Courage award to Basso - no pre season and his life collapses but he is out there having a go.

Dockers lost to ninthmond at home

Last edited:
Goroyals22 where you at with the weekly Bailey hate? At this point you get made to look like a clown week in week out.

I was enjoying a thoroughly good day at eagle farm yesterday and have no desire to sit through that game on replay so I’m not going to comment on a game I haven’t seen…..

If he had a good game good on him… must have been hugely influential. Nice to know my opinion means so much to you

Bailey Williams there is life after Nat, Nat can retire now knowing we have a competent ruck. Barnett needs another preseaon but he will be a good backup ruckman.

Big positives (the listed WAFL team as always up against it so no surprises):
We have found a good ruckman
Ginbey is on track
We have found a tall very bobile and athletic forward that can kick.
Allen is mentally onsong
JD is finding form and touch
Long is a terrier
Kelly is a gem
Yoe is top shelf
Hough will be a AA wingman
Chesser, in an overwhelming experience worked, into the game and was getting his hands dirty
XON ran it out well (cudos for a guy have havent been a fan of)
Trew did a few things well when he came on
Clark has character and worked hard
Courage award to Basso - no pre season and his life collapses but he is out there having a go.

Dockers lost to ninthmond at home
But somehow despite all those positives we lost by 20 goals?

A two week break, regroup, more players to come back.
Maybe we'll perform better in the 2nd half, lose by much less?
like last year ay?

mirror season almost

Hopefully win a game but unlikely

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Waterman was a late out but starting Yeo at FB was a real negative action I thought.
Would have loved to go on the offensive and start him in the guts.
I think when waterman out impacts your defence the problem is deap. Yoe was there our of respect for the quality of oposition big/talls and to give some hope support to the small kids playing in defence.

Just finished watching it delayed, didn’t know the score (take me back).

Bailey good. TK good. Laughed when they said he was the #1 ground ball winner in footy because we don’t address ground balls and the TK trade was a disgrace.

Maric, so pleased for him. Just back him in throughout the season now and have some fun with it.

Defence got mauled but we knew that as soon as team lists came out. Not being hyperbolic when I say I’m staggered the Crows didn’t hit 200.

Right. Bye week. Have fun.

I think when waterman out impacts your defence the problem is deap. Yoe was there our of respect for the quality of oposition big/talls and to give some hope support to the small kids playing in defence.
Whomever we put down there was going to lose out regardless...Why not chop the snake off at the head, put Yeo in the guts as a first cause of action and try stop it going down there in the first place. Can do a lot of morale if you're actually attacking a bit more.

Yes - The problem is very deep.

Taylor Walker with a goal 5 seconds into the game....should be a good watch hey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back