Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, he stank it up, but how do you think his selection for this week went honestly?

A: Darling approaching Simpson and begging him to play, doing everything he can to convince him that Barnett and Williams don't deserve a game and all his injuries are healed and not giving him a problem.

B: Simpson approaching Darling and acknowledging that he's likely not 100% fit, but they need him to come back early and play coz the personnel situation is so absolutely dire and Darling being a team player agreeing.

It's a sucky situation to be in but perhaps the angst towards Darling may be misdirected somewhat.
darling should not have played, full stop. Who was that one dude in the WAFL - he would have gunned it up at CHF. I hear he is better against big bodies that our dwarf defenders. He could have played at both ends.

Negatives: we have several players in our best available 22 who should not be on any AFL list. We will delist them, and no other club will pick them up. Some of our injured players are in the same boat.

Positives: not everyone out there was terrible, even in the face of a shellacking. We will be better placed at the start of 2024 than I feared we might be.

Bailey Williams is turning into Naitanui 2.0. First hands to the ball, fancy taps to advantage, hunting the ball on the ground. Who would have thought it?
Reuben Ginbey can provide more than just grunt work. Good hands, some decent options by foot, starting to accumulate.
Ryan Maric can football, and knows where the goals are. Bargain!
Zane Trew is worth keeping. A couple of 30-possession games in the WAFL surrounded by amateurs, and he managed to find the footy against the Crows when quite a few of his teammates didn't.

Here's a possible team for Round 1 2024. I've written off Naitanui, Shuey and Hurn. And Gaff.

FB: Witherden Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan McGovern Jones
C: Hunt Kelly Hough
HF: Cripps Darling Reid
FF: Ryan Allen Long
R: Williams Yeo Ginbey
I: Maric Culley (second ruck) Sheed

Clark, L Edwards, Foley, O'Neill, West, Winder, Rotham (and Gaff) can be delisted as soon as their contracts expire.
Petruccelle, Waterman and SPS are fair enough depth.
Bazzo, Burgiel, Trew, Hewett, Chesser and Barnett can build form in the WAFL and demand a place, along with other draftees.
I'm unconvinced by Jamieson, H Edwards or J Williams, but sit them in the WAFL and see if they develop. Talls take longer, etc.

One of Jamieson, Barnett or Waterman probably plays as second ruck, unless we draft someone who leapfrogs them or trade in a large lump like Sweet or Flynn.

I've assumed we draft Harley Reid.
If Witherden is in Round 1 2024. I am going to kill a babty goat

Radio silence from the club since the game on Saturday arvo. No “Five Things We Learned” or “Best Eagle Afield” posts. Haven’t invited questions for Ask Simmo either.

I get it’s the bye round now but from the outside it seems like they’ve gone the bunker down/put the shutters up approach.

Last edited:

Radio silence from the club since the game on Saturday arvo. No “Five Things We Learned” or “Best Eagle Afield” posts. Haven’t invited questions for Ask Simmo either.

I get it’s the bye round now but from the outside it seems like they gone the bunker down/put the shutters up approach.

This is pretty common for the bye week. Media team would clock off as well, coaches take a few days off. I hope they all make the most of it. Looking like a long second half of the season.

I get it’s the bye round now but from the outside it seems like they gone the bunker down/put the shutters up approach.
I reckon they've all headed off for a week to reset. Look at the amount of angst on here over the season and imagine how shithouse it must be at the club. Turning up each week and getting physically battered, only to still get pumped by 100 points.

Darling has been ordinary all year, for whatever reason. He is looking slow and cooked. That doesn't mean he is cooked (as a bad back for example can do that) and I wouldn't be pushing him out the door, but it highlights that we really can't be relying on him, given his age, going forward.

I would also add that I think Darling has been severely underrated by people and harshly judged but that doesn't change the fact he has looked a shadow of himself all year. A poorly functioning team wouldn't help but it looks more than that. He looks injured and hindered and has all year. Maybe it is just form, maybe age. Whatever it is, he isn't playing well. But then that applies to most of our team.

Positives - BBBW. He really has come on this year after his horrible round 1 showing. Everything since then has been an upward trajectory and some games have been so good for a young ruck. Really impressed with where he is at. Ginbey and Allen also good. Hough looked good and I felt sorry for Bazzo as he wasn't bad, just completely outsized.

Negative - Sheed playing in the middle is a worry (especially with Gaff in there). Players just run off or through them with ease. Sheed has his place going forward but he needs to be played to his strengths. It is truly horrible watching oppo teams waltz out of the middle.

What is it? He and Gaff are liabilities.
I think Gaff is a liability and should be retired but Sheed still has his good games when he can play outside and given our list/age profile, I can't see him being retired or pushed out. If he wanted a trade and someone wanted him (something I am not confident on on either count), I would jump at it. If he was surpassed by younger/better players, that would be perfect. But I agree, he is a liability playing in the middle with his lack of defensive pressure and players running off him and I would be happy for him to be replaced by a better player in that role and let him fight it out with others for a role elsewhere.

I am here to give Williams his credit, actually played pretty good, His timing seemed a lot better, and after winning a few good taps which often went to the opposition, later in the game, he actually started to look like he was putting the ball where he wanted to, rather than just being first bloke to hit it someplace.

Maybe he has just had a gutful of having a bad season and went full Vyv.

vyvyan-basterd.gif

+ Watching the game gave me a good excuse to have some drinks with my med's to soften the blow on how much we blow.

- It has been 2 days now and the only thing worse than reflecting on how bad we are is this god damn annoying toothache I have had for 2 weeks that nobody can find a solution too and I am out of Forte's.

At least the commentators actually rolled of 12 names that were missing that would have easily replaced 12 of the bodies that flew over to Adelaide for a holiday.

Some of the vision in this article is 🫣

I think it was watching Sheed stand there as his opponent takes the tap and goals that ended my viewing of the game, in a season of comical blunders and half arsed efforts that was quite possibly the worst of all.
Went out for a meal and drinks afterwards, woke up on Sunday morning with a blocked ear and vertigo, the ear is better now but the vertigo remains, can barely walk in a straight line. The club has knocked me completely off balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was watching Sheed stand there as his opponent takes the tap and goals that ended my viewing of the game, in a season of comical blunders and half arsed efforts that was quite possibly the worst of all.
Went out for a meal and drinks afterwards, woke up on Sunday morning with a blocked ear and vertigo, the ear is better now but the vertigo remains, can barely walk in a straight line. The club has knocked me completely off balance.

Sheeesh what'd you have to eat? 😳

I am here to give Williams his credit, actually played pretty good, His timing seemed a lot better, and after winning a few good taps which often went to the opposition, later in the game, he actually started to look like he was putting the ball where he wanted to, rather than just being first bloke to hit it someplace.

Maybe he has just had a gutful of having a bad season and went full Vyv.
Yep his timing at CBDs especially was noticeably better, next step is getting more of those hitouts to our advantage and being to able to tap it 360 degrees.

This is pretty common for the bye week. Media team would clock off as well, coaches take a few days off. I hope they all make the most of it. Looking like a long second half of the season.
5 things we learned

1. We
2. Are
3. Absolutely
4. Mindnumbingly
5. Lendl Are offering 4,000 dollars cash back when you re mortgage your home insurance

I get it’s the bye round now but from the outside it seems like they’ve gone the bunker down/put the shutters up approach.
I don't think it would be so much a 'five things we learned' article, more a cut and paste titled 'five things we already knew', or 'five things we've known for two years now'.

Funnily enough the Five things we learned article has become a meme in the FB comments on the clubs posts.

Shows they really do read the comments if they chose not to do it.

Speaking of a lack of communication... Nesbitt went from emailing us once a fortnight last year like a simp asking us to back the team, be patient, keep showing up, unprecedented injuries yada yada yada... this year we sit dead last with a worse win loss ratio and an even worse injury crisis and get nothing from him?

Darling has been ordinary all year, for whatever reason. He is looking slow and cooked. That doesn't mean he is cooked (as a bad back for example can do that) and I wouldn't be pushing him out the door, but it highlights that we really can't be relying on him, given his age, going forward.

I would also add that I think Darling has been severely underrated by people and harshly judged but that doesn't change the fact he has looked a shadow of himself all year. A poorly functioning team wouldn't help but it looks more than that. He looks injured and hindered and has all year. Maybe it is just form, maybe age. Whatever it is, he isn't playing well. But then that applies to most of our team.

Positives - BBBW. He really has come on this year after his horrible round 1 showing. Everything since then has been an upward trajectory and some games have been so good for a young ruck. Really impressed with where he is at. Ginbey and Allen also good. Hough looked good and I felt sorry for Bazzo as he wasn't bad, just completely outsized.

Negative - Sheed playing in the middle is a worry (especially with Gaff in there). Players just run off or through them with ease. Sheed has his place going forward but he needs to be played to his strengths. It is truly horrible watching oppo teams waltz out of the middle.
That he missed multiple weeks in the pre-season with an external injury sustained at training is a fact.

That he missed multiple weeks in the pre-season with an external injury sustained at training is a fact.
Never said it wasn’t. But regardless, he hasn’t been good this year and we are at the bye. I hope he get’s back to his best but we need to face the fact we need more forward depth in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back