Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wisconsin Badgers Women's Volleyball
Positives +

• BBBW best player for us. Competed well in the hitouts, infact almost matched in hitouts against a good ruck (Darling did most of the F50 stoppages though) and done great with his follow up work. His best game so far imo.
  • Nice seeing Maric make the most at AFL with the limited opportunities.
  • Darling started off slow but slowly worked his way back in halving contests and competed well in the ruck.
  • Allen goal a game streak still going even playing defense. Was pretty decent when moved onto Tex.
  • Kelly tried his heart out and was our best mid.
  • Shuey tried but he looked like was still building. Gave it his all.
  • Yeo still showing anger and weaved through traffic nicely.
  • SPS looked good whenever he had the ball and used it well. Hopefully he can get more of it.
  • WAFL brigade of Foley, Clark, Trew and XON were pretty good.
  • Petch looked more clean with his pickups and provided pace in the midfield.
  • Hunt tried with his attacks and was pretty clean.
  • Hough looked good down back.
  • Pick 1 and Harley Reid looking cemented especially if North beat the Giants.

Meh =
= Bazzo tried but not his fault our mids got smashed. I'm sure Tex would've kicked 7 with Barrass on him with the way they were delivering the ball.
= Chesser looked alright but he's still building though.
= Gaff better than last week and kicked that nice goal that most of would've expected him to miss.

Negatives -

• Sheed's skill errors of a player of his calibre and lack of impact.
  • Witherden's skill errors in the backline. Did not defend well but he was undersized against bigger opponents.
  • L.Edwards just did not impact as much and his disposals haven't been good.
  • Skill errors overall.
  • Zone defense getting picked apart.
  • Players choosing the wrong options and burning better options.
  • Poor contested ball.
  • Smashed in clearances and at the stoppages.
  • Allowed easy coast to coast transitions.
  • Lacking effort but that maybe due to lack of fitness due to injuries and lack of training partners.
  • Another 100 point plus thrashing.
  • Some of our players play too one paced.

Final thoughts.

With the amount of injuries the club is having, there's pretty much not enough players to participate in drills plus injury management conservation. As a result with the lack of reps and touch, skill errors are going to happen even among senior players. As disappointing this season is, finishing last isn't the end of the world since it will only help long term provided the recruiters make the correct decisions since the club can get a potential generational talent (H.Reid) or multiple gun talents in the draft before the draft gets compromised by Tassy.

If we had a fit and firing best 22 squad every week without injury crisis, I can see us go 3-0 at the start. We would've performed better against the Dees, would've been a lot closer against Geelong maybe even won, would've been more competitive against Port maybe even won, would not have lost by over 100 against Carlton, a good chance we beat the Tigers, would've been more competitive against the Suns, also would not lost by a 100 plus against the Hawks, would've beaten the Bombers considering we had more I50s than them, would've beat the Pies imo and been more competitive against the Crows. So I can see us go anywhere from 5-8 to 7-6 (me being overly optimistic with 7-6 though) pre bye which would make 6th to 12th which would put us in no mans land in the draft when we really need a top pick to help with our long term rebuild. Likely a fully fit and firing team the team would finish at the 8th-13th range.

The thing i find the most frustrating from that game is we had the strongest (on paper) midfield we have had all year and yet it got walked out the middle way too easily.
Sheed was bad, sure but that doesn't excuse the rest of that midfield group.

Hopfully the week off will give the boys a chance to not get injured, get some bodies back and give the kids a rest.

Felt like too many in the group were playing for the bye and not willing to give 100% for that one last match.
Plenty of dead wood to cull at the end of the year.

Positives +

• BBBW best player for us. Competed well in the hitouts, infact almost matched in hitouts against a good ruck (Darling did most of the F50 stoppages though) and done great with his follow up work. His best game so far imo.
  • Nice seeing Maric make the most at AFL with the limited opportunities.
  • Darling started off slow but slowly worked his way back in halving contests and competed well in the ruck.
  • Allen goal a game streak still going even playing defense. Was pretty decent when moved onto Tex.
  • Kelly tried his heart out and was our best mid.
  • Shuey tried but he looked like was still building. Gave it his all.
  • Yeo still showing anger and weaved through traffic nicely.
  • SPS looked good whenever he had the ball and used it well. Hopefully he can get more of it.
  • WAFL brigade of Foley, Clark, Trew and XON were pretty good.
  • Petch looked more clean with his pickups and provided pace in the midfield.
  • Hunt tried with his attacks and was pretty clean.
  • Hough looked good down back.
  • Pick 1 and Harley Reid looking cemented especially if North beat the Giants.

Meh =
= Bazzo tried but not his fault our mids got smashed. I'm sure Tex would've kicked 7 with Barrass on him with the way they were delivering the ball.
= Chesser looked alright but he's still building though.
= Gaff better than last week and kicked that nice goal that most of would've expected him to miss.

Negatives -

• Sheed's skill errors of a player of his calibre and lack of impact.
  • Witherden's skill errors in the backline. Did not defend well but he was undersized against bigger opponents.
  • L.Edwards just did not impact as much and his disposals haven't been good.
  • Skill errors overall.
  • Zone defense getting picked apart.
  • Players choosing the wrong options and burning better options.
  • Poor contested ball.
  • Smashed in clearances and at the stoppages.
  • Allowed easy coast to coast transitions.
  • Lacking effort but that maybe due to lack of fitness due to injuries and lack of training partners.
  • Another 100 point plus thrashing.
  • Some of our players play too one paced.

Final thoughts.

With the amount of injuries the club is having, there's pretty much not enough players to participate in drills plus injury management conservation. As a result with the lack of reps and touch, skill errors are going to happen even among senior players. As disappointing this season is, finishing last isn't the end of the world since it will only help long term provided the recruiters make the correct decisions since the club can get a potential generational talent (H.Reid) or multiple gun talents in the draft before the draft gets compromised by Tassy.

If we had a fit and firing best 22 squad every week without injury crisis, I can see us go 3-0 at the start. We would've performed better against the Dees, would've been a lot closer against Geelong maybe even won, would've been more competitive against Port maybe even won, would not have lost by over 100 against Carlton, a good chance we beat the Tigers, would've been more competitive against the Suns, also would not lost by a 100 plus against the Hawks, would've beaten the Bombers considering we had more I50s than them, would've beat the Pies imo and been more competitive against the Crows. So I can see us go anywhere from 5-8 to 7-6 (me being overly optimistic with 7-6 though) pre bye which would make 6th to 12th which would put us in no mans land in the draft when we really need a top pick to help with our long term rebuild. Likely a fully fit and firing team the team would finish at the 8th-13th range.
Well done Pick #1 is looking safe. We need it.

You think you have seen it all until Taylor Walker outscores WCE in an AFL match by 2 goals.

Then Simpson has Yeo and Oscar Allen at Full Back and a first gamer picked up in a MSD a week ago playing at full forward

Last edited:
Positive
Thought Bailey was a glowing positive, almost enough to outweigh the expected negative of the day. I thought he was very good in the ruck but more impressive for me was that he is now starting to impact around the ground with a few clunks at key times. The fact that he follows up so hard on the second effort alone put shim ahead of 90% of our list.

Negative
This club needs a very big attitude adjustment in terms of being defensively accountable. Things like three blokes standing 5m off one of the the most dangerous small forwards in the game at a marking contest, front running the CBA when we're 6-20 on clearances then watching your opponent run away when the tap doesn't fall your way. Running off the contest or other side of the pack to your man only to watch him run away from the ball. Alot of our players like to do the easy thing and then look dejected when "they did their best" but didn't get the ball. Locking your players arms up and appealing for frees instead of making a genuine marking attempt.

We've had players in the past who have been skillful enough to account for defensive deficiencies in the past. Now we have players who weren't skillful enough to account for the deficiency to begin with thinking defending is an option.

Mindset needs to change here and the coaches need to start getting the basic, small things right that get taught at auskick level even in the players that more likely than not will not be on our list in 9 months time instead of us having to watch the same coachable deficiencies continue to exist in the same players week after week.

Great debut by Maric. Will be nice once he puts on a bit of size.
Gaff nailed a tackle, probably his 1st for a while, usually gets shrugged off like a 2 year old riding a pit bull.
Ginbey was having a red hot crack.
Williams is showing really positive signs.
Allen is our best back.

-ve: How many of our team aren't AFL quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back line was obviously stuffed missing probably our 4-5 best there in Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Duggan and even Cole. Had a bunch of kids and rebounders stuck against one of the best forward lines going. When the mids underperformed it was just always going to be a bloodbath. That said:

Maric looked the goods. Would be a solid game for any first year tall let alone someone at the club for a week under these circumstances.

BBW has straight up become a very good ruck, especially for his age. Huge plus this year.

Liked Hough's game - he's getting back to what we saw in him last year.

Got the bye so don't have to watch for a week and might get a few players back on the other side. 👍

+
  • Billiams, Kelly and Allen put in a good showing as they have all year.
  • Maric could be a crafty forward for us and should play for the rest of the year.
  • Shuey going the human cannonball to try and give something

-
  • Clark needs to be dropped and only played at last resort. He is such a nothing player.
  • Sheed was poor. Think going forward he plays more of a wing/HF role for us
  • Hard for Witherden given the circumstances but he had a stinker of a game.
  • Bazzo reminds me of Greg the egg from Succession

Shuey and Yeo get through another game uninjured.

Shuey so much stronger than other players when contesting ground ball but is being protected off the ball at the moment, not ready to play on ball.

Yeo changes the game again, a class above everyone else.

Williams good, needs help though for when he's off.

Ginbey's ball use and option taking looked good.

Kelly good in congestion, got the ball cleanly and kept trying all game.

Maric moves well, will take time but could be a handy 3rd tall option (still so young so will take time).

BBBW was our only real positive, I reckon. He is improving every game. Maric did okay, that’s for sure – given his age and the fact that he’s only been at the club for a week. OA was also okay. Apart from those three, the team sucked. You would expect the more experienced blokes (Shuey, Yeo, TK etc) to do better than the others, and by and large they did – but they still sucked. Witherden, Sheed and SPS were away with the fairies for most of the game. Yes, I know (we ALL know): injuries, misfortune, kids, training limitations, lack of selection options etc etc – but none of it excuses the lack of effort today. We put in the effort against the Pies, so why couldn’t we do it today? Simmo didn’t try to make excuses in his post match comments, so maybe we shouldn’t here either. Cope all you like, but it’s up to the coaching staff to get genuine effort out of players. Our coaching staff are not achieving that. Maybe it’s time to hold them accountable. They can’t magically win games with the players we have available, but they can certainly demand that players give it a red hot go every week.

You think you have seen it all until Taylor Walker outscores WCE in an AFL match by 2 goals.

Then Simpson has Yeo, then Oscar Allen at Full Back and a first gamer picked up in a MSD a week ago playing at full forward

I'm out
It was certainly a SNAFU game plan wasn't it! Simpson must have had one too many bottles of passion pop last night 🍾

BW may be on his way to a top 5 bnf finish, perhaps higher. No one saw that coming.
He'll win it I reckon ... who else has played every game this season and tried their guts out week in week out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back