Review Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly a few alarm bells going off :rotatinglight:

Midfield has been woeful since isolation.

Statistically Kelly is putting up the worst numbers in his entire career this year for West Coast.

Disposals, marks, goals, clearances, contested possessions (whole reason we got him), score involvements metres gained and ranking points :crossmark:

All career low averages for him in 2020 ^

Considering we only have him for 6 odd seasons, we have a list which is touted as potentially flag winning, we can't afford to just write off one of his seasons.

Giving what we've paid and how we're sitting on the ladder currently, Geelong would be happy with how that trades panned out so far.

Hurn and Kennedys form is looking more ominous each week. With them potentially leaving at seasons end and no clear replacements on the list, it spells trouble.

I did like what I saw of Marsders first half though. Overhead he was good and attack on the ball was the best it's been. Pity.

Give Kelly a bit of leeway, he has been operating in a far better midfield than we have. He could be frustrated that our players don’t know how to get to the right spots, they don’t spread the right way, they don’t know when to go fir the ball and when to hold back, he could be frustrated our forwards put no defensive pressure on which is just junior footy stuff.
He is still working out what he is playing with here.

Our game plan has not evolved, we are to slow to move the ball, we don’t break lines. We are weak in the contest. That is not ability that is will.
Move it quicker and give our forwards a chance, they have no chance when the opponent has ample time to load up their backline.
Leadership is an issue, how can you expect to be accountable if McGovern won’t be and he is a leader. We play 5m behind our opponent all over the ground.
We simply are failing at many basic footy functions, Duggan has been a constant for years now yet still consistently kicks into the man on the mark, why is this still happening?
The list is fine, what’s between their ears is a problem and what they are being instructed to do is a problem.
All starts with Simpson and what he is prepared to implement.
Personal won’t change the outdated game plan.

Making wholesale changes to the team is not going to fix anything. Sure there are a few changes to make but dropping blokes to "make a statement" and replacing them with inferior players wont help.
There is obviously a big mental issue with this group as there are just so many players playing so far below their normal output. And that starts in the midfield. Aside from NN and Gaff, the rest of the mids are so far below their normal level it can only be mental. Bringing in an Ainsworth or something wil not help.
The fact we are playing in conditions the least suited to our normal game cant be discounted either. We have POrt during the day next week, lets see if that makes a difference. It wont fix the mental problems but at least we may be able to play our normal style a bit more.

Certainly a few alarm bells going off :rotatinglight:

Midfield has been woeful since isolation.

Statistically Kelly is putting up the worst numbers in his entire career this year for West Coast.

Disposals, marks, goals, clearances, contested possessions (whole reason we got him), score involvements metres gained and ranking points :crossmark:

All career low averages for him in 2020 ^

Considering we only have him for 6 odd seasons, we have a list which is touted as potentially flag winning, we can't afford to just write off one of his seasons.

Giving what we've paid and how we're sitting on the ladder currently, Geelong would be happy with how that trades panned out so far.

Hurn and Kennedys form is looking more ominous each week. With them potentially leaving at seasons end and no clear replacements on the list, it spells trouble.

I did like what I saw of Marsders first half though. Overhead he was good and attack on the ball was the best it's been. Pity.

Well bugger me lets just take "almost empty glass" look at things shall we!

Firstly Kelly and stats after 3 games, two away in greasy conditions. Um the quarters are five minutes shorter, whats that as a percentage?

Kelly is a 5-6 year player and a good one.

Agree Hurn and Kennedy's form isnt great. Problem is they are also in the leadership group and to date they have been picked on reputation not form. Kennedy is hard to gauge as the supply has been putrid but I did notice the younger guys are matching him more and more physically and in speed.

The glaring issue is we are playing the young replacements as well as who they are replacing. We are inventing ways to play good developing players in roles they weren't drafted for, And to top it off the established older players in the roles the kids prefer are equaly out of form.

Now sorry but the comment about no clear replacements for Hurn and JK is plain wrong. Its something I expect a Freo troll would post. Refer previous paragragh.

The side is terribly out of balance and is simply not working well enough together. Some of this is a selection issue and obviously the players also need to step up.

- Simmo, I still think its between the ears. Simmo is a broken record wanting to come home, he needs to turn it around, embrace it, lie if he has to, just say they love it there, be more positive and it might rub off on the players. Look at what Clarko did when it snowed.

I’m a bit of both ways on this matter.

Dockers are (seemingly) being publicly quiet on this matter. Don’t seem to be any knock on to players apparent ‘state of mind’ - pending today’s result.

On the other hand the VFL needs to hear, and note, the sacrifices being made. Did see an online article suggesting Gil was considering asking WA teams to stay two more weeks. This sort of thinking needs to be off the table - would rather forfeit.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Our game plan has not evolved, we are to slow to move the ball, we don’t break lines. We are weak in the contest. That is not ability that is will.
Move it quicker and give our forwards a chance, they have no chance when the opponent has ample time to load up their backline..

Not enough discussion around this issue - our ball movement sucks. By the time we have done our dinky kicks across field opposition have filled gaps and then we kick long to contest.

They spoil and it’s back in our D50 - defenders under pressure AGAIN.

Midfield and their coach need kick.

I’m a bit of both ways on this matter.

Dockers are (seemingly) being publicly quiet on this matter. Don’t seem to be any knock on to players apparent ‘state of mind’ - pending today’s result.

On the other hand the VFL needs to hear, and note, the sacrifices being made. Did see an online article suggesting Gil was considering asking WA teams to stay two more weeks. This sort of thinking needs to be off the table - would rather forfeit.

The way we're playing we might aswell

He was poor, but averages don't mean much when the games are shorter.

Also, very small sample sizes obviously.

That's actually a fair point.

Shows how much of a beast Lachie Neale is when his everages haven't dropped at all in 2020 despite shorter games.

Putting statistics aside, I still think Kelly has been poor in 10 out of 12 quarters he's played for us.

We paid the world for him in draft picks, one of the biggest trades of all time. I think supporters have a right to high expectations Obeanie1

Those ragging on Brander are way off the mark, a kid that has played 7 games , and we can all agree is not a wing man,give the kid a chance, sure he can make some dumb errors, but would you expect from a 7 gamer, the kid is a smooth mover, put him on half forward as the hit up target. If the insist on playing Petch put him on the wing and let him use his best quality his speed, stop playing Oscar as a ruck man is just plain dumb, he is not one.

Negatives

We have the biggest game breaker in the comp and he is constantly playing on managed minutes, he is now 30 just play him for fu**s sake, it's now or never for Nick, no more softly softly with him, the idea he cannot be risked is crazy, we are not winning with him playing limited minutes, so if he breaks down what will be the difference.

We are so unskilled it's not funny right now, and that was our strength, there was possibly two clean bits of play last night for the whole game.

To many players living off the memory of 2018 and getting a game because of it.

Positives

Our back line again, mostly held had a hole in the dam wall before the constant wave of attack crashed the wall, only so much these guys can do before it becomes to much.

So much to like about this post....... spot on, well done. :whitecheck:

Also, just on that dangerous tackle paid against Jetta, the reason it ended up as it did is that players know to drive themselves forward in that situation because they'll get a push in the back free. Midway through the tackle you can see Berry throw himself down to the ground, effectively faceplanting himself.

Once again the problem is created by the rule interpretation, then more rules are brought in to fix it.

That's actually a fair point.

Shows how much of a beast Lachie Neale is when his everages haven't dropped at all in 2020 despite shorter games.

Putting statistics aside, I still think Kelly has been poor in 10 out of 12 quarters he's played for us.

We paid the world for him in draft picks, one of the biggest trades of all time. I think supporters have a right to high expectations Obeanie1
He looked like our only mid regularly winning his own ball - no support though. Shuey is injured and Yoe was injured during the game. Sheed is a bigger mastern. Redden is aging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn lloks like he needs to drop 2 or 3 kgs. He's never been fast but he just looks slow and lumbering a bit.
A lot more than 2 or 3 KGS - 10 would be more like it. Lumbering is an apt description of him now. There's no run off half back, and this is a super big problem.

From the same bloke who rubbished Kennedy as only an average forward throughout his career and stated he hasnt seen the stats so his opinion is correct- this is in character.
You are such a sook. I have seen Kennedy’s stats and while I admitted he had been a very good player for a few years, I said he should have retired last year as it was obvious he was past it in the second half of last season.

He first three games this year have been woeful. Try reading my whole comment and not cherry pick what suits you.

If you want to live in the past and pick players based on form two years ago then go for it. I want to win now with the best available side and that means dropping Kennedy.

It’s hard to see us winning a game in the hub. All of the opposition teams we’re playing are suited to the conditions. Port killed us last year in slippery conditions and we still haven’t learnt anything.

It’s hard to see us winning a game in the hub. All of the opposition teams we’re playing are suited to the conditions. Port killed us last year in slippery conditions and we still haven’t learnt anything.
We've learned how to give up easier : okhand :

Monocle what are your thoughts on how we are setting up midfield wise in theae conditions?

We have our best and more skillful mids playing inside and our next level of mids being inside mids pushed out the flanks.

The slippery conditions means a hard slog in close and the ball pops out less often and not as clean. How about we pull Kelly and Shuey more to the outside and let Redden and Sheed do what they do best on the inside?

Shuey wont last 17 games the amount of bashing and crashing he's doing. Lets get Shuey and Kelly in more space and kicking some goals.

Hurn lloks like he needs to drop 2 or 3 kgs. He's never been fast but he just looks slow and lumbering a bit.
If you are referring, in part, to him being run down from behind, two things stood out to me in that play -
1) the WCE player to his immediate left (Redden?) did not warn him of the impending tackle and call for a handball....easy to be heard out there, and
2) more importantly, did not make an effort to shepherd the Bris player out of the contest. He basically stood there flatfooted.

Our players are not willing to get in and protect the player trying to take on the game. And on that matter, only Nic and a battered Shuey are willing to try to take on the game. Unfortunately, the latter is slowing down and gets caught 50% of the times he attempts it but, once again, he is offered little protection from his team mates when he does try.

Monocle what are your thoughts on how we are setting up midfield wise in theae conditions?

We have our best and more skillful mids playing inside and our next level of mids being inside mids pushed out the flanks.

The slippery conditions means a hard slog in close and the ball pops out less often and not as clean. How about we pull Kelly and Shuey more to the outside and let Redden and Sheed do what they do best on the inside?

Shuey wont last 17 games the amount of bashing and crashing he's doing. Lets get Shuey and Kelly in more space and kicking some goals.

Agree, I know he is slow, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Brayshaw for that inside role, and bring in JJ to add to the outside mix.

You are such a sook. I have seen Kennedy’s stats and while I admitted he had been a very good player for a few years, I said he should have retired last year as it was obvious he was past it in the second half of last season.

He first three games this year have been woeful. Try reading my whole comment and not cherry pick what suits you.

If you want to live in the past and pick players based on form two years ago then go for it. I want to win now with the best available side and that means dropping Kennedy.
We loose 2 games and you want the coach dropped along with half the team and I'm the sook? The real sooks are fans like you that completely lose their s**t and demand heads roll because their Saturday night didnt go the way you planned.
I didnt cherry pick anything either. You were pulled up on your call that JK was not that great as a key forward statistically and then said you havent seen the statistics so therefor you opinion is correct- that was the entirity of the post.
I dont have an issue with people.calling for JK to be dropped, I still think given good service he is best 22 but his decline is noticable..I understand him going out will fast track the development of our up comming forwards. You were called specifically on your claim he was only an average forward and then came up with the ignorance defense. Your subsequent posting seems to correlate with that observation.

Last edited:
Another night game against one of the local teams who are much more accustomed to the humid slippery conditions. Not an excuse but it would have been nice to either play the local teams during the day or at the back end of the hub time.
Jettas legal tackle that led to a goal and Duggans deliberate oob that also led to a goal right when the game was on the line caused a lot of swearing at tge tv.

Positive was the only eagles i have in my SC and DT teams are Nicnat and Gaff.

I want to see Francis get a game next week

We loose 2 games and you want the coach dropped along with half the team and I'm the sook? The real sooks are fans like you that completely lose their sh*t and demand heads roll because their Saturday night didnt go the way you planned.
It's not two games. It started round 1 2019.

We kept making excuses for only putting effort in for 1 quarter a game.

And here we are.

Also, just on that dangerous tackle paid against Jetta, the reason it ended up as it did is that players know to drive themselves forward in that situation because they'll get a push in the back free. Midway through the tackle you can see Berry throw himself down to the ground, effectively faceplanting himself.

Once again the problem is created by the rule interpretation, then more rules are brought in to fix it.

There was a sneaky look up from Berry to ensure the ump was buying what he was selling as the whistle blew too. Then prostrate, on the ground, in pain to seal the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back