Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

The general feeling out there towards W.A and McGowan re: the Covid situation now is one of 'serves you right', which is bizarre and irrational. Even when we were in lockdown other states and the media to some extent were posturing and ridiculing W.A, as though they were somehow better in their handling of Covid? Like it was a competition, it became politicised and weaponised between states and parties. It's a pandemic! nobody got it right?
Currently on footy panels etc, they laugh and joke at any mention of W.A lockdown and McGowan as though they are somehow in the know or superior because they came through what we're going through now, and that we only delayed the inevitable...which is not entirely true of course. History will show W.A handled it much better (unless I'm way wrong) not including the current BA.2 subvariant of Omicron, which is an unknown at this stage.
There might be some sympathy for what the team is going through but not for the cause?
(this is probably not the thread to discuss this, but relates to footy and your comment)
Not sure where out there is but where I am COVID isn't a big talking point any more and people dont think about WA and never have (different if you have family there of course). McG generally seen as erratic.

LDU did not drive himself forward and nor did Willie drive him forward. LDU’s knee dug into the ground propelling all forward momentum through their upper bodies. Just a dumb luck incident that happens.

It was a text book tackle. The only thing Willie could have differently is to let go when that all happened, but do we really want to promote tackling players so they have one arm free to protect themselves. I am already sick of watching players spin 540 degrees in a tackle looking for the perfect outlet.

That the media has started loading up on this as the bad boy incident is yet another ******* joke. A pure footy incident, perhaps it is time to focus on Ziebell who took his eyes off the ball and hit Liam Ryan front on. Minor incident, but was it dirty as and a s**t look? But no, let’s focus on our pet project of getting an Eagle rubbed out.

with regard to the players diving for in the back free kicks, it happened a lot yesterday. Umpiring is already a tough gig, and we have enough umpires cocking it up in terms of consistency. Now we have players throwing themselves forward, driving with their heads etc. Where does it stop. But the AFL is not doing itself any favours by making public criticism of umpires off limits while crucifying players like Willie in the media for seemingly pure footballing actions.

Not sure where out there is but where I am COVID isn't a big talking point any more and people dont think about WA and never have (different if you have family there of course). McG generally seen as erratic.
In fact it was McGowan who promoted the view that the rest of Australia were doing it wrong and he alone was handling it correctly. He also said he was keeping Covid out of W A before finally admitting he couldn’t which everyone else had realised some time ago.. The attitude was then echoed by the majority of people in WA who called him “state daddy” etc. you wonder why many in other states do have an attitude towards him and the state.?

'Out there' is online, in the footy world and the media, in the general context of Covid, footy and the Eagles.
Equally people don't think of NSW and never have (different if you have family there of course). Gladys Berejiklian and Dominic Perrottet seen as very erratic if not corrupt or useless.

Last edited:
In fact it was McGowan who promoted the view that the rest of Australia were doing it wrong and he alone was handling it correctly. He also said he was keeping Covid out of W A before finally admitting he couldn’t which everyone else had realised some time ago.. The attitude was then echoed by the majority of people in WA who called him “state daddy” etc. you wonder why many in other states do have an attitude towards him and the state.?

I think that's actually quite incorrect and is more a perception than fact.

Last edited:
I cant help but feel we garner no sympathy from the AFL losing players due to our somewhat strict covid protocols in WA.
Our Covid issues have only just started.

At home because 17yr old son diagnosed last Thursday, with 2 other family members.

So if we progressively get it, the last person quarantined could have been quarantined for 28 days FFS.

Key is to start licking the 1st family member to get it.

As has been said, Nth players were diving forward all day looking for in the back frees.

LDU was 100% responsible for his own injury in that situation

Couldn't agree more.

Players train to 'draw' free kicks (which should be outlawed to be honest - driving with the head, dropping at the knees to get in the back, and lowering the centre of gravity when about to get tackled all contribute to injuries week in week out). Ours do it too.

LDU collapsed his knees when he felt contact to get a push in the back free kick (it was holding the ball). Paid for it, and to be honest I don't have a lot of sympathy for him as it's not really in the spirit of the game.

That said, they'll probably try to give Willie a life ban because of the outcome.

Our Covid issues have only just started.

At home because 17yr old son diagnosed last Thursday, with 2 other family members.

So if we progressively get it, the last person quarantined could have been quarantined for 28 days FFS.

Key is to start licking the 1st family member to get it.

I guess the question is how many of our players who have been sidelined with H&S protocols have had it, and how many have just been close contacts?

Ideally (and it is strange to say this) we want to manage our squad so a lot of them get it but only a few at a time (i.e. create herd immunity in our squad).

Potentially, with Vic teams having their outbreaks Dec/Jan, we could have a clear run until the off season once we get through this wave (I assume it is still 6-months from infection that is assumed immunity - i.e. no need to isolate as a close contact).

LDU did not drive himself forward and nor did Willie drive him forward. LDU’s knee dug into the ground propelling all forward momentum through their upper bodies. Just a dumb luck incident that happens.

It was a text book tackle. The only thing Willie could have differently is to let go when that all happened, but do we really want to promote tackling players so they have one arm free to protect themselves. I am already sick of watching players spin 540 degrees in a tackle looking for the perfect outlet.

That the media has started loading up on this as the bad boy incident is yet another ******* joke. A pure footy incident, perhaps it is time to focus on Ziebell who took his eyes off the ball and hit Liam Ryan front on. Minor incident, but was it dirty as and a s**t look? But no, let’s focus on our pet project of getting an Eagle rubbed out.

with regard to the players diving for in the back free kicks, it happened a lot yesterday. Umpiring is already a tough gig, and we have enough umpires cocking it up in terms of consistency. Now we have players throwing themselves forward, driving with their heads etc. Where does it stop. But the AFL is not doing itself any favours by making public criticism of umpires off limits while crucifying players like Willie in the media for seemingly pure footballing actions.

Players are most defiinatly diving forward when tackled. Contributing to and in some cases causing the 'in the back' action. Just like they used to duck to get head high frees.

I noticed it across every game. It is being coached now for sure. Milking an in the back free.

I like Naish. Seems to have a nice burst and take his man on rather than settle for a backwards kick.

Willie is a magician. Missed out on two years of magic

Kelly was pretty immense early. Shuey got through ok.
Yep, I think Naish is a contract extension. Been good both games, and provides plenty of run.

Not a gun, but very solid and good role player.

I guess the question is how many of our players who have been sidelined with H&S protocols have had it, and how many have just been close contacts?

Ideally (and it is strange to say this) we want to manage our squad so a lot of them get it but only a few at a time (i.e. create herd immunity in our squad).

Potentially, with Vic teams having their outbreaks Dec/Jan, we could have a clear run until the off season once we get through this wave (I assume it is still 6-months from infection that is assumed immunity - i.e. no need to isolate as a close contact).

8 weeks assumed immunity, not 26 weeks. So dont be surprised to see a wave of cases in Vic sides later in the season.

What Im interested in knowing is if a WA player is in manditory 7 days iso and in other states you dont can an Eagles player fly interstate to play? Moot point considering they cant train I suppose.

Just need to suck it up and LOL when it happens in other states later inthe season. Looking forward to the muppets backflipping their opinions when their teams are gutted.

For all the Darling chat, it was only his miss that annoyed me.

He was the only tall we had, with apologies to 18 year old never played WAFL before straight out of the Colts Jack Williams. He was doubled all day, with a spare in the hole. His work rate wasn’t the issue, and it was an odd latch on from Dermie and the commentary team. You know how they get when they spot something.

Matchup impossible, no help, service nonexistent.

Until he missed that goal it was a frustrating but entirely understandable game from JD. The off season stuff can still get in the bin and he hasn’t given himself every opportunity to succeed which is unacceptable, but he really didn’t deserve the ire in my opinion. That set shot miss is inexcusable though.
Jack was terrible, but I put it down to all you mentioned double team, poor service (although there were a few times he should've marked and didn't), and lack of match practice. He'll be better for the run out and will get a few tall fwds back which will help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I think Naish is a contract extension. Been good both games, and provides plenty of run.

Not a gun, but very solid and good role player.

From the limited sample agree. Very happy with Naish so far, and still only 23.

Naish just needs to work on his decision making under pressure. Which will hopefully come with more experience and time gelling with the team. Oh and actually playing with our best 22.

There were North supporters fist-pumping when goals were scored, against a glorified thirds team the likes never before seen in this league. Make no mistake about it this club is in such dire straits their fans would applaud their players passing a firm stool.
They only had 14k at the game, so I assume a lot of their fans knew it was a piss take and didn't bother with it.

SEN brought up a brilliant point the other night. That had we played a top 8 team this week the game would have been postponed over the potential massive percentage gain said team would get playing a top up team, but because its a bottom 4 norf team they had the game played anyway.
Still not the right thing to do. Who knows how good we’ll be this year. We’ve just been cost a guaranteed 4 points based on what we saw yesterday. If that costs us finals or top 4 (unlikely but who knows, you can’t make that call in round 2) it’s a compromised season.

Watch Carlton’s (or some other top 8 hopeful) covid game come against Melbourne. A lot of people sprouting “every team will go through it” but that’s a very simple view. Some teams will get it in games they would have lost anyway and others, like us, will get wins taken from us. Absolute luck of the draw, hence asterisk season

Jack was terrible, but I put it down to all you mentioned double team, poor service (although there were a few times he should've marked and didn't), and lack of match practice. He'll be better for the run out and will get a few tall fwds back which will help.
While on that situation, I was really impressed with Jack William's attitude. As you say, he is only 18 and does turn 19 until December but really competed well against bigger bodies while in the ruck and followed up as well. Reckon he will be very good when he becomes accustomed to the system.

8 weeks assumed immunity, not 26 weeks. So dont be surprised to see a wave of cases in Vic sides later in the season.

What Im interested in knowing is if a WA player is in manditory 7 days iso and in other states you dont can an Eagles player fly interstate to play? Moot point considering they cant train I suppose.

Just need to suck it up and LOL when it happens in other states later inthe season. Looking forward to the muppets backflipping their opinions when their teams are gutted.
8 weeks is just our ridiculous rule in WA, plenty of other jurisdictions around the world used 6 months but most of them have ditched prescribed isolation now anyway.

It was about two weeks ago that the national cabinet recommended ending covid isolation for close contacts. I assume by May/June that iso will be a thing of the past, so if you get your 8 weeks immunity now, you're not likely to have to isolate in the future.

Stop rewarding flops and leading with the head and people are less likely to get injured in tackles. I’m all for protecting the head but players have learnt to abuse that privilege as well as driving themselves forward to draw free kicks, and ironically it leads to worse incidents.

I thought ducking was now considered prior opportunity? Reckon I’ve seen that paid less than a handful of times since they brought it in.

Add it to the list of the AFLs intervention having the opposite effect

Still not the right thing to do. Who knows how good we’ll be this year. We’ve just been cost a guaranteed 4 points based on what we saw yesterday. If that costs us finals or top 4 (unlikely but who knows, you can’t make that call in round 2) it’s a compromised season.

Watch Carlton’s (or some other top 8 hopeful) covid game come against Melbourne. A lot of people sprouting “every team will go through it” but that’s a very simple view. Some teams will get it in games they would have lost anyway and others, like us, will get wins taken from us. Absolute luck of the draw, hence asterisk season
How many players missed yesterday who would have played had they been from any other state? That's the issue. Two sets of rules.

Many of you have accidentally clicked this thread when you intended to go to the Society, Religion and Politics board.

This is the Positives and Negatives vs North thread on the Eagles board.

An easy mistake to make, but the board you were looking for can be found here.

One slight negative.

Why didnt the emergency player do a full warm up?

They are there to cover someone breaking down during the warm up and that happened. And the emergency didnt even have his boots on?

Yesterday was a total cluster fart but I find this a tad unprofessional. We can control what we can control.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back