Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking nothing away from the defence but most of the reason that stat shines is that we push so many numbers behind the ball at times then on the rebound we break down all the time , buddy on the wing and no one inside 59 is no good to us

Need a super young star marking forward hey

I'm not SF51 but I'd say it isn't great, Round 4 against the Crows when the mids were beaten comes to mind.

Is our defence good one on one or is it the numbers we push back that's makes the difference

is there any great defence right now that doesnt rely on numbers pushing back though? Yeah some guys like Rance can take a forward one and one and win individual contests, but still given space and good delivery defence can only do much

I think pound for pound aliir Grundy, Rampe, even laidler one on one can hold their own reasonably well, but I think if it hits the deck we can be exposed by small forwards if our mids are lazy or not helping

Separate our defenders and kick to the space of your forward seems to trouble us, but I have no proof or stats just a gut feel.

Every team pushes numbers back thats modern footy. We need to improve how it affects our forward structure imo, as you said lets actually keep one

Especially when we have a big guy in buddy who just needs space and the ball out in front to smash his opponent, stop kicking over his head or pushing him to the back side of the wing every time

is there any great defence right now that doesnt rely on numbers pushing back though? Yeah some guys like Rance can take a forward one and one and win individual contests, but still given space and good delivery defence can only do much

I think pound for pound aliir Grundy, Rampe, even laidler one on one can hold their own reasonably well, but I think if it hits the deck we can be exposed by small forwards if our mids are lazy or not helping

Separate our defenders and kick to the space of your forward seems to trouble us, but I have no proof or stats just a gut feel.

Every team pushes numbers back thats modern footy. We need to improve how it affects our forward structure imo, as you said lets actually keep one

Especially when we have a big guy in buddy who just needs space and the ball out in front to smash his opponent, stop kicking over his head or pushing him to the back side of the wing every time
I actually hope they bring in the zones

Watch who the good defenders really are

Structure up a forward line

I actually hope they bring in the zones

Watch who the good defenders really are

Structure up a forward line

Could make the game so fiddly to officiate but the idea of genuine one on one battles is nice in the footy romantic sense

Is our defence good one on one or is it the numbers we push back that's makes the difference
Don't know about the entire defense but Heath Grundy is the 6th best one-on-one player in league last year, was the 2nd best the previous season.

Don't know about the entire defense but Heath Grundy is the 6th best one-on-one player in league last year, was the 2nd best the previous season.
This has given me a chance to express my man crush for Reg... Since Teddy has gone he's become my main man in D.

Just love the way he goes about it. After all those years of being the whipping boy as the unreliable one he's become mr.fu**in reliable down there the last few years IMO. He switches play well, cuts off leading patterns & directs the young boys really well. A real asset & in line for another solid year.

Massively underrated by the general public/media etc too. I'm happy having him one out on the big fwds (Hawkins, Kennedy, Cloke, Darling etc)

This has given me a chance to express my man crush for Reg... Since Teddy has gone he's become my main man in D.

Just love the way he goes about it. After all those years of being the whipping boy as the unreliable one he's become mr.fu**in reliable down there the last few years IMO. He switches play well, cuts off leading patterns & directs the young boys really well. A real asset & in line for another solid year.

Massively underrated by the general public/media etc too. I'm happy having him one out on the big fwds (Hawkins, Kennedy, Cloke, Darling etc)
30 years of age and still improving his game, managed to be top 5 players intercept players in the AFL last year if I'm not mistaken.

Probably near impossible to provide a stat. That will stretch the great man
It is impossible unfortunately, they don't make them publicly available. Here's an attempt (these guys have it all available):

Champion_Data how do our defence/defenders do 1 on 1? Ideally 1 on 1 in 50/50 contests?

It is impossible unfortunately, they don't make them publicly available. Here's an attempt (these guys have it all available):

Champion_Data how do our defence/defenders do 1 on 1? Ideally 1 on 1 in 50/50 contests?
Isolated 1v1 in D50.
Competition averages: 28% Win, 42% Neutral, 30% Loss. Win/Loss is possessions (or spoils leading to teammate possession) to one of the two involved. Third player in, stoppage, etc is neutral, regardless of which team it is.

Swans:
34% Win (2nd to GWS)
38% Neutral (4th lowest)
28% Loss (3rd lowest behind Geelong and Richmond)

Players:
Rampe - 37% Win (8th of 49 players with 20+ contests), 37% Neutral (12 lowest), 26% Loss (19th lowest)
Grundy - 37% Win (9th), 33% Neutral (7th lowest), 30% Loss (34th lowest)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst name ever. Champion Data is a joke and the only think that keeps that rat in David King in a job.

So you're saying that you think a stat which demonstrates Rampe and Grundy are above average 1 on 1 defenders is a joke?

It has it's place , but it's not the be all and end all. I personally like the old stats that were published.

yeah agree with that, everything in its own context. Its fascinating what they can measure though but do not want it to take over the game like as you say David King tries to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back