Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite part about Ben Ronke's 7 goal haul against Hawthorn is that it's going to be - and already is - such a famous part of Swans history and he'll be mentioned alongside absolutely legendary names purely because of it.

Exhibit A - here is Ben Ronke in a thumbnail alongside three of our greatest ever in JPK, Skilton and Buddy for an old video on the Swans Youtube channel that popped up on my feed.

We can laugh and say he's a pub trivia question etc., but I do also think there's something really cool about the fact that anyone can leave a massive imprint on the club's history in some way, shape or form regardless of the career they go on to have. I think it'd be a great example to show to young players or long-running squad players particularly, that your chance to impact and be a part of Swans history isn't over as long as you are still on our list.

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 9.03.30 pm.png

My favourite part about Ben Ronke's 7 goal haul against Hawthorn is that it's going to be - and already is - such a famous part of Swans history and he'll be mentioned alongside absolutely legendary names purely because of it.

Exhibit A - here is Ben Ronke in a thumbnail alongside three of our greatest ever in JPK, Skilton and Buddy for an old video on the Swans Youtube channel that popped up on my feed.

We can laugh and say he's a pub trivia question etc., but I do also think there's something really cool about the fact that anyone can leave a massive imprint on the club's history in some way, shape or form regardless of the career they go on to have. I think it'd be a great example to show to young players or long-running squad players particularly, that your chance to impact and be a part of Swans history isn't over as long as you are still on our list.

View attachment 1941454
I was at that game. It was magical

View attachment 1941454

Like Mitch Morton!

Was thinking that a little while ago. I hope we can move to Plan B seamlessly when it happens
I remember we were playing the corridor heavily in the year we made the GF, and then in the 2nd half of the year teams started clogging the middle.

Ross Lyon & Brad Scott are 2 coaches who I expect will have some means to try and stop us.

I remember we were playing the corridor heavily in the year we made the GF, and then in the 2nd half of the year teams started clogging the middle.

Ross Lyon & Brad Scott are 2 coaches who I expect will have some means to try and stop us.

I think we counter clogging a couple of different ways by kicking on the diagonal and via aggressive running inc of handball chains.

Now Callum Coleman-Jones may not be the best or even the smartest footballer running around, but I thought the Foxsports title was still somewhat disappointing given he'd snapped his achilles;
ccj zombie.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much a random question, but can a field umpire pay an out of bounds?

Always assumed the answer was yes, but in the Ess v St Kilda game today a ball clearly went out on the full, off a player's shin, and the field umpire was standing outside the boundary (ie grandstand side), with a clear view, right in front of the incident.
Instead of signalling an OOF he actually called in the 2 boundary umpires, who were far further away to consult with them.

Correct decision was made, but it should have been immediately clear to the field umpire, without needing to ask the boundary umps.

There was also the shocker earlier in the season (Port v WCE) when the field umpire was clearly in the best position to call an obvious out of bounds.
In that case the umpire may have been focused on the action inside, but no such excuse today.

In the Port game the ump was Rebeschini (#31) (57 games start of 2024), today it was Bailes (35) (6 games start of 2024), so not first game nerves or the such.

Now there have been some very sketchy boundary line calls this year, but surely if the field ump is in the right spot, s/he should be able to make the call.

So ❔

<happy dancing>
Sam Mostyn our Governor General 1 July 2024
former Sydney Swans director

My connections to this country and people have come in so many forms — from contributing to governance around executive investment and board tables, to cheering at the footy, to being moved and inspired in the audience at our extraordinary music and arts events or packing food boxes in my local community," she said.

first woman appointed to the AFL Commission in 2005, she served on the Commission for 11 years and was a trailblazer for women in the industry. Mostyn was a key figure in the establishment of the AFL’s Respect and Responsibility Policy and was among those who led the push to establish AFLW.

Last edited:
<happy dancing>
former Sydny Swans drector

I thought she'd be the perfect successor to Pridham as the next Chairperson - well done!

<happy dancing>
former Sydny Swans drector

Great choice. Heard her speak a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic.

Jack Viney was the 28th player to play 200 for the Demons in 137 years.
West Cokes have been going for 37 years and have 28 players to play 200

<happy dancing>

Interesting choice to say the least but won't get into the political

Do we get some sort of trade ban

Because he's a right winger of the highest order

Lol so? I still don't know why it's relevant

Let's not derail the thread anymore but I don't know why you always frame your opinion based so heavily on the random approval of someone else.

<happy dancing>

Sure, but can she sing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back