Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
To build of Kirkswans post, Sydney has a myriad of competing sports. Most AFL supporters I meet are from other states. Worked with rugby fans, and cricket enthusiasts, but struggle to find NSW born AFL fans. So much competition when it comes to sport.

So in short... all the codes there are stealing fans from each other?

My experience has been different. I find that the NSW born footy supporter numbers are getting bigger and bigger.
I have been associated with Sydney footy on and off for 40 years now, and the supporter and participation numbers are massive compared to 1981.
Back then it was referred to (with a sneer) as "aerial ping pong" with ultra tight shorts. Now it is part of the Sydney landscape.
An example is a work colleague. She and her husband were dyed in the wool Parramatta Rugby League supporters, season tickets, you name it. The Giants came to their son's school and he became a Giants supporter, did Auskick and now plays local footy. They go to Giants games with him. Meanwhile my work colleague became a Swans supporter, as did their daughter. (The husband refuses to budge. Fair enough.)
A lot of my Rugby League mates have gone from distain to support, albeit secondary to their Rugby League.
I read a few years ago that NSW Auskick participation numbers were higher than Victoria's.
Junior girl's footy has increased exponentially.
When I started Sydney Uni had two sides, and in 1981 started a third team in the U19s. Sydney Uni now has 8 men's and two women's teams, and that is reflected across all the clubs.
Phil Gould is a multiple premiership winning Rugby League coach and media person. When he took over as General Manager of the Penrith Panthers Club, he used his media profile to raise deep concerns about junior Rugby League participation numbers in the area - because the kids were playing footy, due to the Giants being at every school. The Rugby League see footy as an existential threat.

So yes, there is an element of codes stealing fans, but fans are being, and have been, created generationally.

My experience has been different. I find that the NSW born footy supporter numbers are getting bigger and bigger.
I have been associated with Sydney footy on and off for 40 years now, and the supporter and participation numbers are massive compared to 1981.
Back then it was referred to (with a sneer) as "aerial ping pong" with ultra tight shorts. Now it is part of the Sydney landscape.
An example is a work colleague. She and her husband were dyed in the wool Parramatta Rugby League supporters, season tickets, you name it. The Giants came to their son's school and he became a Giants supporter, did Auskick and now plays local footy. They go to Giants games with him. Meanwhile my work colleague became a Swans supporter, as did their daughter. (The husband refuses to budge. Fair enough.)
A lot of my Rugby League mates have gone from distain to support, albeit secondary to their Rugby League.
I read a few years ago that NSW Auskick participation numbers were higher than Victoria's.
Junior girl's footy has increased exponentially.
When I started Sydney Uni had two sides, and in 1981 started a third team in the U19s. Sydney Uni now has 8 men's and two women's teams, and that is reflected across all the clubs.
Phil Gould is a multiple premiership winning Rugby League coach and media person. When he took over as General Manager of the Penrith Panthers Club, he used his media profile to raise deep concerns about junior Rugby League participation numbers in the area - because the kids were playing footy, due to the Giants being at every school. The Rugby League see footy as an existential threat.
So yes, there is an element of codes stealing fans, but fans are being, and have been, created generationally.
:oops:

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Need to sort out those 4th terms
Conversely you could say we were comfortably up at 3qt time, never really challenged and could conserve some energy in the last.

RD 1 v Bris 3qt time lead of 41 pts, won by 31
RD 2 v Adel 3qt time lead of 51 pts, won by 33
RD 3 v Rich 3 qt time lead of 51 pts, won by 45.

Conversely you could look say we were comfortably up at 3qt time, never really challenged and could conserve some energy in the last.

RD 1 v Bris 3qt time lead of 41 pts, won by 31
RD 2 v Adel 3qt time lead of 51 pts, won by 33
RD 3 v Rich 3 qt time lead of 51 pts, won by 45.
That Adelaide lead never should have got below 40 points imo

I've just downloaded "Sydney Swans Official App" using Google Play so can watch tomorrow's VFL.
If I try to open it, "Sydney Swans keep stopping".
I've closed app, shutdown phone, restarted, same problem.
Deleted app, downloaded, .... ditto
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I've just downloaded "Sydney Swans Official App" using Google Play so can watch tomorrow's VFL.
If I try to open it, "Sydney Swans keep stopping".
I've closed app, shutdown phone, restarted, same problem.
Deleted app, downloaded, .... ditto
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Oh yes. Welcome to the joy. Leave it in it will fix itself eventually

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Has anyone ever deliberately booted the ball directly into the face or groin of the man on the mark out of spite?

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Tell me oh Swans faithful. Where can I get that scarf Mickey O is wearing? I love it!!!

Scarf.jpg

Can any NSWelsh ladies or gentlemen answer me this: Is the AFL really up against rugby in Sydney, or is the AFL just up against a detachment from sport in general in Sydney?

Because I often hear about our need to compete in the "rugby-dominated Sydney market", but every single game of rugby I have ever seen in Sydney, the stadiums always look more than half empty. And even the cricket, with the exception of the test matches, I can't say I've ever seen crowds at the BBL big enough to compete with SCG crowds for the Swans.

I get we are not yet to the city of Sydney what Richmond or Collingwood are to Melbourne, or what West Coast are to Perth. But is that because the AFL is competing with other sports, or because Sydney folk just aren't as sports-centric as in other cities? Cause from the outside looking in I haven't seen any club in any code from any sport in NSW generate as much hype as us, yet we still can't quite break into that genuine powerhouse status.

Was just curious as I was chatting about it with a mate in Sydney today. Am I on the money or way off here? Cheers folks!

Nobody cares about stadium attendance except fans on internet forums.

TV viewership is what gets you $$$.

Sydney's geography , plus the fact rugby league was basically the perfect tv sport gets you to where we are today.

Also what do you mean by 'powerhouse'?

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Wow, if it is that's one fantastic knitter.
Wow if it's handmade! I pinged the swans on Twitter and asked
My mum used to knit that kinda of stuff for us and our kids... took hours of work!

Difficult to tell, because I can't enlarge it enough to see the stitches! Old eyes... :(

Back