Potential 2012 QLD State Of Origin team

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well with the S.O.O potentially coming back next year who do you think would make the QLD team? This is what I have got so far for my current team:

B: Gilbert, S | Merrett, D | Harbrow, J
HB: Hunt, K | ??? | Wilkinson J
C: Beams, D | ??? | ???
HF: ??? | Riewoldt, N(c) | Dixon, C
F: ??? | Tippett, K | ???
FOLL: Smith, Z | ??? | ???
I/C: Folau, I | Hale, D | ??? | ???
Coach: Voss, M

The 2011 team gives us some idea of what this team would look like:

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Daniel Merrett, Joel Wikinson
HB: Karmichael Hunt, Tom Williams, Sam Gilbert
C: Josh Drummond, Dayne Beams, Cheynee Stiller
HF: Brendan Whitecross, Nick Riewoldt (c), Michael Osborne
F: David Hale, Kurt Tippett, Ricky Petterd
R: Zac Smith, Andrew Raines, David Armitage
INT: Rory Thompson, Claye Beams, Charlie Dixon, Lachlan Keeffe.

Source: http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?i...s]=575&cHash=8b60c2afd7d34f00a4c2597c5a36550e

Not a bad team, but there are a few inexperienced names in there - are there other more experienced Qld names around the AFL?

Israel Folau has never played an Australian Football match in Queensland and grew up in NSW -surely he would be a NSW player if a NSW team were ever to be selected?

It is a much stronger team than most would think that QLD would possess. Strong backline, bigs in the forward line in the form of Tippett and Riewoldt and of course Zac Smith who will become one of the better rucks in the comp in the next few years. Until this year Izzy had never played an Aussie rules game in NSW either so I don't know exactly where the rules stand there. I believe it is something to do with where you played junior football but Izzy never did in NSW or QLD. Perhaps his time with the Storm when he was 17 would make him available for the Big V as well?

Who knows but my guess would be that he would be able to choose QLD or NSW. For the Giants it would be more beneficial for him to play for NSW but he was such a QLD player in Rugby League, I really don't know what would happen. Anyone have any idea?

The 2011 team gives us some idea of what this team would look like:

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Daniel Merrett, Joel Wikinson
HB: Karmichael Hunt, Tom Williams, Sam Gilbert
C: Josh Drummond, Dayne Beams, Cheynee Stiller
HF: Brendan Whitecross, Nick Riewoldt (c), Michael Osborne
F: David Hale, Kurt Tippett, Ricky Petterd
R: Zac Smith, Andrew Raines, David Armitage
INT: Rory Thompson, Claye Beams, Charlie Dixon, Lachlan Keeffe.

Source: http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?i...s]=575&cHash=8b60c2afd7d34f00a4c2597c5a36550e

Not a bad team, but there are a few inexperienced names in there - are there other more experienced Qld names around the AFL?

Israel Folau has never played an Australian Football match in Queensland and grew up in NSW -surely he would be a NSW player if a NSW team were ever to be selected?

Yeah Israel Folau would be NSW he was born there grew up there than when he was in his teens move to QLD. In the NRL he was playing for QLD so he could play for QLD.

S.O.O will not be making a return in 2012 but there is strong support for it to return in 2013. If you look at the team probably all of those players will still be playing in 2013 and most (definitely GC Suns players) will be a lot better. By 2013 it could be a very imposing team.

Not that I think they could beat the likes of Victoria or WA yet but it is a very strong team for an area that is Rugby League dominated. I'd probably back the 2013 team against others like Tassie, NSW, ACT and NT. SA v QLD could be a very interesting match up if it happens in the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back