Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 - Harper Montgomery
2022 - Will Francou

2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade

2024 - Louie Montgomery
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Rome Burgoyne

No mention of the Pickett boy here, not sure which year he is ready.

The way we're offering up futures, I'm not sure how highly these guys are rated.

No mention of the Pickett boy here, not sure which year he is ready.

The way we're offering up futures, I'm not sure how highly these guys are rated.

Pickett is only eligible for North as Byron only played 55 games at Port. The AFL made sure Byron was unemployable otherwise he would’ve got there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pickett is only eligible for North as Byron only played 55 games at Port. The AFL made sure Byron was unemployable otherwise he would’ve got there.

Kids have to agree to be picked up as a F/S.
If they dont, then they can be drafted by anybody.

Kids have to agree to be picked up as a F/S.
If they dont, then they can be drafted by anybody.
correct. Marc Murphy turned down Brisbane as his old man John played enough games for Fitzroy and Nick Blakey had the choice of North or Brisbane (due to Fitzroy games) or Sydney because he was in their Academy whilst old man John coached at the swans for a decade.

Thank you.

Any idea his cumulative total in the SANFL? Guessing not enough to get to 100.

Hopefully the recruiter conversations go something like -

Recruiter: Who do you look up to in the football world
Pickett: Obviously Dad, but Brad Ebert and JHF certainly have a lot in common 😉

Thank you.

Any idea his cumulative total in the SANFL? Guessing not enough to get to 100.

Hopefully the recruiter conversations go something like -

Recruiter: Who do you look up to in the football world
Pickett: Obviously Dad, but Brad Ebert and JHF certainly have a lot in common

It wouldn’t have been enough. Byron could have been playing as part of our inaugural list but he was only playing reserves at that time. I believe his only games at senior SANFL would have been if coming back from injury while at the Power.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t have been enough. Byron could have been playing as part of our inaugural list but he was only playing reserves at that time. I believe his only games at senior SANFL would have been if coming back from injury while at the Power.

Correct, Choppy was only playing reserves at the Maggies before he was picked up by norf, but it was a time when the Maggie's league side was still very strong, and he would have been a teenager at the time.

In the game the norf recruiter (Shane O'Sullivan?) apparently watched he kicked 6 goals on WWT's Scott Freeborn, who was taken by the Power for their inaugural list and then delisted after only one season and zero games, while for some unknown reason Pickett was ignored.
Alan Stewart must have had a thing for WWT juniors, Lynch and Matthews were two more no names from that club who did nothing, and were delisted.

Freeborn got picked up by Carlton when they were at their weakest due to draft sanctions, and from memory ended up kicking the dew off the grass in their magoos, while obviously Byron became a dual premiership player, and Norm Smith medallist.

Swings and roundabouts I guess, but given a different set of circumstances his progeny should have been potential father/sons for Port.

Do we really need another non-descript half back flanker on the list? Particularly one who hasn't performed exceptionally.

It's nice to have father-sons on the list for culture and feel-good purposes. But this seems a step too far in my opinion. I'd rather we used the list spot on a project tall or a small forward (or retain the pick for the MSD). I think we also erred in giving Trent Burgoyne a spot but that probably helped us secure Jase so maybe it was worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Harper have a gun younger brother?
Yep Louie who played well in the SA U/16 carnival games - SA won the carnival. I think there were 7 father sons of ex AFL players in the team.

Last edited:
Do we really need another non-descript half back flanker on the list? Particularly one who hasn't performed exceptionally.

It's nice to have father-sons on the list for culture and feel-good purposes. But this seems a step too far in my opinion. I'd rather we used the list spot on a project tall or a small forward (or retain the pick for the MSD). I think we also erred in giving Trent Burgoyne a spot but that probably helped us secure Jase so maybe it was worth it.
Not really. But is that all you saw in Harper? Looking at his various highlight packages, sees him playing off halfback, on the wing, attending centre bounces & kicking 3 goals. Good tackle, good kick, great leap & mark, has some footy smarts .... why pigeon-hole him as just 'another half-back flanker?'

He is also 187cm and probably will add another 1 centimetre to his height, so thankfully he is not a midget like some of our recent father/son picks.

I hope we pick him, I love following the progress of our sons-of-guns.

Not really. But is that all you saw in Harper? Looking at his various highlight packages, sees him playing off halfback, on the wing, attending centre bounces & kicking 3 goals. Good tackle, good kick, great leap & mark, has some footy smarts .... why pigeon-hole him as just 'another half-back flanker?'

He is also 187cm and probably will add another 1 centimetre to his height, so thankfully he is not a midget like some of our recent father/son picks.

I hope we pick him, I love following the progress of our sons-of-guns.
He wasn't invited to the national combine so he isn't in the best 70 odd players that have nominated for the draft. And the article describes him as a half back, that's predominantly the position he plays.

If he wasn't a father son we wouldn't even look at him.

Maybe not, but he is.

One of the amazing attributes that Brett had was his aerial ability for his height. I often wonder if I oversold this to myself as when we picked Brett up from the Bulldogs we were in a stage of dropping lots of marks around the ground. But at the time it was exactly what we needed and his one touch marking became infectious throughout the team.

Harper seems to have this same attribute. Not that we're dropping lots of marks atm though. I think he's worth a crack. Some kids are late developers. He certainly looks to have the tools.

He wasn't invited to the national combine so he isn't in the best 70 odd players that have nominated for the draft. And the article describes him as a half back, that's predominantly the position he plays.

You could say that about every father/son pick we have taken so far, bar Jase. Honestly, I dont give a toss that an article labels as a half back ... So what? That is the position Nic Daicos is labelled with at Collingwood! So he wasnt invited to the national combine, boo hoo. We arent going to pick him up in the main draft, he would only be on as a rookie anyway.

It's a no to Harper Montgomery

If he isn't drafted, Port can nominate him before the PSD and rookie drafts, and we then automatically rookie him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back