Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...nal-programs-secure-300000-in-federal-funding

THE federal government has issued $300,000 grant to the Port Adelaide Football Club to expand its highly-acclaimed Aboriginal programs into the APY lands in South Australia's north.

The grant will allow Port Adelaide's WillPOWER program to reach children in the APY Lands and deliver its healthy lifestyle messages.

The club's Power Community Ltd team will work with Aboriginal Programs ambassador Gavin Wanganeen and other past and present Aboriginal players to deliver the programs in these remote areas.

"This is a very important opportunity to further expand our commitment to Aboriginal education," says Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas.

More on:
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...nal-programs-secure-300000-in-federal-funding

I just saw this on the Club website and had to smile - not just because of the content, which is fantastic, but because of Alias Stupid's performance yesterday relevant to the announcement of funding from the Federal Government.

Firstly, Power Community Ltd. (PCL).
This component of the Club is becoming more and more important to its structure, growth and future than is generally realised.
PCL is also instrumental to the Club's image and how we are perceived from the outside ... from as far away as Hong Kong. This was KT's message during his speech here in May, as I've posted elsewhere.

As our expansion strategy develops, including the China component of it, we will hear more and more about the involvement of Power Community Ltd.
I've thus opened this thread so that BF-ers can comment and expand it as more PCL news comes out.

I'm proud of our Club ... and I'm especially proud of the PCL venture.

Great stuff by Port Adelaide showing great community spirit. I remember how Lockhart Road said Port's community commitment really impressed potential sponsors in China, so it also has its football advantageous side too.

This is how it's done, not the nonsense espoused by Matt Rendell.

The AFL should be throwing money at us for this work too, showing that clubs do have an understanding of diverse communities and how to meet their needs.

I avoided elaborating on 'Alias Stupid's performance yesterday' in my OP as I didn't want to sully its content by association with such a fool. But, unfortunately, it's relevant. And now that Ford has kindly put space between my OP and this one, I'll recount it here rather than on 'Media 'Shakes Head'.

Having proclaimed on Friday that Westhoff would definitely not be playing against Sydney based on an impeccable inside source and yet again proving what a dill he is, Stupid started off the show yesterday with what he called his 'Wednesday Whine.' He carried on for some time about something inane. Then: "Why are you laughing?"
"It's Monday," said Bone.

Stupid then took the cake. "The reason Triggy delayed his departure so long is because of the big announcement coming tomorrow. It's his parting gift to the Crows."
"Oh," says Bone doubtfully. "Sounds exciting."
"It's big. Real big. It's Biiiggg!"
"Can you give us a hint?"
"It's strictly confidential. Very few know about it Bone."
"It's about a new partnership for the Crows. Lot of money for the Adelaide Football Club."
"Can you elaborate?"
"The partnership is with a Federal Government department."
"Oh?"
"Yes Bone. Triggy's parting gift to the Crows. He's been working on it for months. It's reward for the Crows community work. Good on yer Trigggggeeee!!"

No mention that Power Community Ltd. would be receiving exactly the same funding.

(Author admits to a certain amount of poetic licence with dialogue but asserts accuracy of meaning.)

Yeah, Triggosaurus was on the radio today spruiking about how the Crows and Andrew McLeod were doing such great work with indigenous people and that the $300k was a great fillip for their contribution and will really help them connect with aboriginal people and get them to stay in school. "...and Port Adelaide get a lick too."

What a ******* moron. Any more spin and he'd be down to his axles.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, Triggosaurus was on the radio today spruiking about how the Crows and Andrew McLeod were doing such great work with indigenous people and that the $300k was a great fillip for their contribution and will really help them connect with aboriginal people and get them to stay in school. "...and Port Adelaide get a lick too."

What a ******* moron. Any more spin and he'd be down to his axles.
Heard that as well B Geez :mad:.. then turned 5AA off as no Port person was coming on

Port Adelaide through the leadership of Paul Vandenbergh is kicking off an ambitious community program in the APY Lands and Maralinga area to help improve life outcomes in the remote communities.

Open letter from Paul Vandenbergh
This week, Byron Pickett, Wade Thompson, national beach volleyballer Taliqua Clancy and our Power Community team will travel to Uluru and head south into the APY Lands to begin our first year of the WillPOWER program and we do so knowing our club community and the wider footy world is right behind us.
We’ll continue to run remote classroom sessions from Alberton every week of the school year, and return into the APY Lands and Maralinga communities once each term and for two special football carnivals, thanks to generous state and federal government, and corporate and non-government sponsorship.
Open letter from Paul Vandenbergh

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I avoided elaborating on 'Alias Stupid's performance yesterday' in my OP as I didn't want to sully its content by association with such a fool. But, unfortunately, it's relevant. And now that Ford has kindly put space between my OP and this one, I'll recount it here rather than on 'Media 'Shakes Head'.

Having proclaimed on Friday that Westhoff would definitely not be playing against Sydney based on an impeccable inside source and yet again proving what a dill he is, Stupid started off the show yesterday with what he called his 'Wednesday Whine.' He carried on for some time about something inane. Then: "Why are you laughing?"
"It's Monday," said Bone.

Stupid then took the cake. "The reason Triggy delayed his departure so long is because of the big announcement coming tomorrow. It's his parting gift to the Crows."
"Oh," says Bone doubtfully. "Sounds exciting."
"It's big. Real big. It's Biiiggg!"
"It's strictly confidential. Very few know about it Bone."
"It's about a new partnership for the Crows. Lot of money for the Adelaide Football Club."
"Can you elaborate?"
"The partnership is with a Federal Government department."
"Oh?"
"Yes Bone. Triggy's parting gift to the Crows. He's been working on it for months. It's reward for the Crows community work. Good on yer Trigggggeeee!!"

No mention that Power Community Ltd. would be receiving exactly the same funding.

(Author admits to a certain amount of poetic licence with dialogue but asserts accuracy of meaning.)
LOL

After meeting Paul a fortnight ago, the guy is very dedicated to the cause and the port contingent who were with him were firm believers in the program too. Dedicating considerable time to the initiative. Very likeable fellow who is always smiling, the perfect outward facing ambassador for the indigenous community.

Phhht

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After meeting Paul a fortnight ago, the guy is very dedicated to the cause and the port contingent who were with him were firm believers in the program too. Dedicating considerable time to the initiative. Very likeable fellow who is always smiling, the perfect outward facing ambassador for the indigenous community.

Doc do you know how many fulltime people the club has working in this area?

Doc do you know how many fulltime people the club has working in this area?

No unfortunately, the only fact I do know is that PAFC employs the largest amount of indigenous Australians out of all the clubs. I believe Paul, Krakouer and a female (I can't remember her name unfortunately) are the three main people going out to the communities etc. I'm sure there are more though.

Phhht

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I might see if I can find out more about this. It would be interesting to see how effective they are with (maybe) only 3 fulltime staff plus help from (I'm assuming) volunteers.

Proud of the club pushing this and making a concerted effort to really engage the indigenous community. Make it work really well and not only will it hopefully help lots of indigenous kids but it will be another side that will generate plenty of positives from media, sponsorship and even players hopefully.

I like to think that comment is about non-Aboriginal people getting a look at living environments and circumstances and a culture that they would never otherwise encounter to broaden their life horizons. Fair call Strapping Tape?

I like to think that comment is about non-Aboriginal people getting a look at living environments and circumstances and a culture that they would never otherwise encounter to broaden their life horizons. Fair call Strapping Tape?

I bet that was exactly it. :thumbsu:

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That and we are talking very remote communities where the only interaction with non aboriginals is most probably someone in a authoritative position. If we do see successful results then having someone there that's a white\green\pink guy or whoever who is someone that isn't aboriginal that they can experience time with and build trust with then I think it is quite beneficial as we are looking at hopefully helping them into a life which will involve broadening the horizons

Eighteenseventy

Senior List
Jan 6, 2015
ADELAIDE
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sea Eagles, 49'rs Tassie Tigers
What an inspiring letter from Paul, the club and the aboriginal community is indeed fortunate to have Paul on board.

Having knowledge and experiences in my family of the hardships and difficult circumstances that our indigenous people encounter in life I wish Paul well in his quest to make a difference, when you read about Paul and his programmes and the clubs support one despairs when you get the headlines in the papers in the last few days about football clubs and drugs, but Pauls work goes without a word in the mainstream media.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, one thing I remember our club had an after school room (hope it still does) where any kids can drop in, get help with home work etc or in some cases a break from actually being at home. It was great but you never hear about it and how its a key part of the local community.

Back