Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends though, no reason why we couldn't house organisations like CLONTARF in the centre, depending on how big it was. *shrug* just hoping that we'll eventually see something happen at Alberton.
Clontaf sets itself up mainly in the bush. The Centre of Excellence is for our programs, some footy related, not Clontaf's. The Housing component of the precinct development is for the non footy related stuff, I mentioned that in my post above, but incorrectly lumping everything into one component.

Last edited:

Article on the club's website about the trip has some great pics.

PAFC%2018%20APY%20%20WP%20Sport%20Q%20LR-1.jpg

PAFC%2018%20APY%20%20WP%20Sport%20Q%20LR-6.jpg

PAFC%2018%20APY%20%20WP%20Sport%20Carn%20LR-244.jpg

This one is a good reminder of how many in the community programs team we send up north when we run the visits up north.

PAFC%2018%20APY%20%20WP%20Sport%20Q%20LR-27.jpg

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-10-12/hartlett-jonas-join-apy-lands-trip
PORT ADELAIDE defenders Hamish Hartlett and Tom Jonas were the club’s first non-Indigenous players to visit the Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands when they joined the Aboriginal Programs team a fortnight ago.

Hartlett and Jonas, along with Aidyn Johnson, took the opportunity to make the trip north to deliver the WillPOWER online safety module to the remote communities in the region. Hartlett said he had been wanting to do a trip to the remote Indigenous communities for a number of years. “Thankfully I have been given the opportunity to do it this week, and it just so happens to be the Ernabella Sports and Dance Carnival on Thursday as well,” Hartlett told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“Tommy and I are very thankful to be in the position we are in, and have the great group of people around us at the footy club. “It has been a very special experience for us.” The WillPOWER program encourages students to attend school, with the Ernabella Sports and Dance Carnival a reward for that commitment...........'
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-10-12/hartlett-jonas-join-apy-lands-trip

with the likely loss of Wingard, Amon, and Neade the Indigenous players stock is looking thin:(, non-Indigenous player visits will probably be used more often:think:

2017 we had 9 Paddy, Chad, Krak, AJ, Jarman, AhChee, Neade, Amon, SPP
Out 3: Krak retired, Jarman and Ah Chee traded In 4: Garner Barry Thomas drafted Motlop traded in
2018 had 10

So we trade out 3 you mentioned plus Thomas has retired and will probably draft 1 maybe 2 and at 7 or 8 that still leaves us second to Freo. In 2018 pretty sure they had 11. Pearce and Johnson have retired so they are down to 9.

Last edited:
Port to host Indigenous All Stars summit

DSC00304.jpg

PORT ADELAIDE will host the AFL’s 2019 Indigenous All-Stars Summit next week, bringing the event to South Australia for the first time.
The four-day camp will see around 70 of the competition’s 83 Aboriginal players visit Alberton starting on Sunday to network and engage in a series of activities and experiences which highlight Indigenous art and culture.
Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal Programs Manager Paul Vandenbergh was instrumental in securing the hosting rights for the summit, but the AFL’s General Manager of Inclusion and Social Policy, Tanya Hosch said the club’s record in the Indigenous space played a part as well.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-02-14/port-to-host-indigenous-summit

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-02-14/port-to-host-indigenous-summit
At least six club CEOs are confirmed attendees along with five AFL Commissioners plus the AFL executive. Four AFL captains are expected to attend along with Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield, representing the AFL Players’ Association.

Vandenbergh said the camp would include workshops about pathways for Indigenous players into coaching and the media because there was a clear lack of Aboriginal coaches and voices in the media.

He said attendees would visit the Point Pearce Aboriginal Community on Yorke Peninsula to meet elders and go fishing, they would be taught some traditional dance and representatives of each club would make a boomerang and learn about the tool’s significance to Aboriginal people.

While Shaun Burgoyne, Eddie Betts, Paddy Ryder and Lance Franklin will be among those in town, the event will also give younger Indigenous players an opportunity to network. “It allows Tobin Cox to get the confidence to go and talk to Shaun Burgoyne and understand how you get such longevity in the game,” Vandenbergh said.

Jacko's influence has never been forgotton.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...k/news-story/2c1e072956c79a2787b1b311ac4f9262

Jackson Trengove was one of the “brothers” at Port Adelaide and would even wear a special pair of indigenous coloured Speedo’s under his footy shorts on game day. So when he was asked whether he would represent his new club the Western Bulldogs — which is the only team in the AFL without an Aboriginal player currently on its list — at next week’s Indigenous All Stars Summit he didn’t think twice.

With the blessing of his coach Luke Beveridge, Trengove will return to Adelaide on Sunday for the four-day summit hosted by his old club Port Adelaide. He will be joined by the Bulldogs’ indigenous programs manager Brett Goodes and player welfare officer Brent Prismall after their club launched its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) last year.
“At the Doggies we don’t have anyone (indigenous player) currently listed but the club is making big inroads in the Aboriginal space with the RAP program and the work Goodesy is doing. “So when Pauly reached out to me about the summit I said I’d be honoured and privileged to represent the Western Bulldogs and I’m really excited about learning even more about Aboriginal culture.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...k/news-story/2c1e072956c79a2787b1b311ac4f9262

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reece Homfrey's main article says Adelaide Uni has extended their Aboriginal partnership with the club and providing the summit facilities. Also probably why we invited the AFL's Tanya Hosch to the GFG launch on Saturday as she played her part to get it to Adelaide.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/784d2c97b724be9179b93f1dff7d6283
The Indigenous All Stars Summit, ran by the AFL and AFLPA, will be held in SA for the first time when 140 players and industry leaders gather for four days of workshops, cultural celebrations and training from Sunday. But more significantly for the first time the summit will also include non-Aboriginal participants including players, CEO’s and presidents who were invited in a show of unity across the competition..........The All Stars camp is typically held every second year and has previously been in Perth and Alice Springs.
Last August Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal programs manager Paul Vandenbergh presented a plan alongside Geelong premiership player Mathew Stokes and the AFL’s inclusion and social policy manager Tanya Hosch to the league’s competition committee about bringing the camp to Adelaide.
Last August Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal programs manager Paul Vandenbergh presented a plan alongside Geelong premiership player Mathew Stokes and the AFL’s inclusion and social policy manager Tanya Hosch to the league’s competition committee about bringing the camp to Adelaide..........“I contacted Tanya and asked would we have the opportunity to host it at Port Adelaide and she was very supportive and confident in us because of the programs and work we have already done.”
The University of Adelaide has partnered with the summit to provide its lecture theatres, gym and training grounds for the event. “The feedback I’ve had from talking to players like Shauny Burgoyne is it’s a great opportunity for them to connect with the younger guys and mentor them,” Vandenbergh said. “So the guys are really excited, they love the cultural element to it and sharing it with non-Aboriginal people as well.” Former Power big-man Jackson Trengove has put his hand up to represent the Western Bulldogs which is the only team in the competition without an indigenous player currently on its list while Patrick Dangerfield will represent both Geelong and the AFL’s competition committee.
Players will also hear from the newly formed Indigenous Past Players Alliance with Gavin Wanganeen, Des Headland and Michael O’Loughlin speaking about life after footy.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/784d2c97b724be9179b93f1dff7d6283

This is why only 38 players have gone to Whyalla and not 46. 8 are staying in town for the AFL’s 2019 Indigenous All-Stars Summit.

Reece Homfrey's main article says Adelaide Uni has extended their Aboriginal partnership with the club and providing the summit facilities. Also probably why we invited the AFL's Tanya Hosch to the GFG launch on Saturday as she played her part to get it to Adelaide.

I just assumed when the club said we would be hosting the summit, it would physically be at Alberton. I was hoping this event would showcase our club to Aboriginal players from other clubs and maybe even help play a part in enticing someone over.

Not Port related but this tweet was liked by Paul Vandenbergh and retweeted by Allan Murray

Glenn James was a fantastic umpire. One with personality. Made plenty of mistakes but had a good feel for the game because he actually played it at open age level before an injury stopped him playing.

When I lived in Qld for a a couple of years in the '00's I would hear him on the NIRS radio station's call of games.

Smiled and waved to the crowd as he held the ball up before he bounced the ball at the start of a GF, think it was 1984 GF as he also umpired the 1982 one.

Dipper one day didnt like one of his decisions and called him a ****ing bung. James said he used the traditional method of conflict resolution, and said straight back to him, shut the **** up, you fat wog. he copped plenty of racial abuse from the crowd all his career.

My bad it was the start of the 1982 GF. No other umpire I am aware of has started a GF like this. I reckon he started the odd other game with a wave and a smile as well. Watch the first 10 seconds of the video below.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide to turn to private enterprise to create Aboriginal centre of excellence |
Adelaide Now - Reece Homfray, Wednesday, 19 June 2019.

Port Adelaide says it is determined to push ahead with plans for Aboriginal centre of excellence despite funding shortfall

“Port Adelaide will push ahead with plans to build a 50-bed Aboriginal boarding house, health and education centre at Alberton and will turn to private capital to fill a $10m funding shortfall.”

... Plans for the club’s Aboriginal centre of excellence have been drawn for three years and it has secured $4m of Federal funding, but further pledges totalling $12m fell over after the respective State and Federal elections left the project at a standstill.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club would re-engage both levels of government as well as going to corporate and private enterprise and is talking to the Indigenous Land and Sea Council about a solution.

“Our frustration is we are trying to get this funded because we know there is an existing gap (in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal health and education outcomes) which is not being bridged,” Thomas said.

“We know we have programs that are designed to help and are working, and we have an idea and concept that is tailor made to accentuate the benefits we are providing.

“But we haven’t got the money to build it. We know there are a lot of priorities for government but all we are saying is we are still here, we are absolutely committed to this and are a willing partner looking to provide solutions.”

“We feel like once we are able to articulate the broader scope of this (to private enterprise) and relate it to the success we are already seeing with our programs, we think there will be interest.”

... the club created a program called Powerful Futures which has engaged Port Adelaide’s commercial network fill about 100 jobs for Aboriginal students in the past two years. But three years ago the club decided that it needed to do more again, and came up with the idea of building a centre of excellence for 50 students — including some from remote SA — to stay at Alberton full-time and have access to education and health services and cultural awareness programs.

Part of the centre would prepare students for ‘jobs of the future’ by exposing them to industries such as defence and mining and the pathway to get there.

“This is not about footy,” Thomas said.

... “You think science, maths, and yes it can be intimidating to a kid in Year 10 but what can it lead to and what does it look like? It’s about computers, design, and we find just exposure to what’s possible opens their eyes to the world.”

... Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal programs director Paul Vandenbergh said literacy levels among indigenous students was still lagging to at least Grade 3 and the average life expectancy of an Aboriginal man was 59 — 20 years younger than non-Aboriginal males.
“For me that feels very scary, if I’m entering my 40s. So we are not changing our mentality about how we see sugar, about seeing exercise as a daily occurrence — this (centre of excellence) is how we do it,” Vandenbergh said.

... Six years ago Port Adelaide changed its motto from ‘we exist to win premierships’ to ‘we exist to win premierships and make our community proud’.
“We felt like we needed to recognise that and be defined by that, and that really provided the impetus for these areas,” Thomas said. “We’ve always had a fantastic record with our Aboriginal players and the work that Pauly has done has defined us in many ways for a decade.

“For us this is a natural extension of the work we are already doing.”

Port Adelaide to turn to private enterprise to create Aboriginal centre of excellence |
Adelaide Now - Reece Homfray, Wednesday, 19 June 2019.

Port Adelaide says it is determined to push ahead with plans for Aboriginal centre of excellence despite funding shortfall

“Port Adelaide will push ahead with plans to build a 50-bed Aboriginal boarding house, health and education centre at Alberton and will turn to private capital to fill a $10m funding shortfall.”

... Plans for the club’s Aboriginal centre of excellence have been drawn for three years and it has secured $4m of Federal funding, but further pledges totalling $12m fell over after the respective State and Federal elections left the project at a standstill.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club would re-engage both levels of government as well as going to corporate and private enterprise and is talking to the Indigenous Land and Sea Council about a solution.

“Our frustration is we are trying to get this funded because we know there is an existing gap (in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal health and education outcomes) which is not being bridged,” Thomas said.

“We know we have programs that are designed to help and are working, and we have an idea and concept that is tailor made to accentuate the benefits we are providing.

“But we haven’t got the money to build it. We know there are a lot of priorities for government but all we are saying is we are still here, we are absolutely committed to this and are a willing partner looking to provide solutions.”

“We feel like once we are able to articulate the broader scope of this (to private enterprise) and relate it to the success we are already seeing with our programs, we think there will be interest.”

... the club created a program called Powerful Futures which has engaged Port Adelaide’s commercial network fill about 100 jobs for Aboriginal students in the past two years. But three years ago the club decided that it needed to do more again, and came up with the idea of building a centre of excellence for 50 students — including some from remote SA — to stay at Alberton full-time and have access to education and health services and cultural awareness programs.

Part of the centre would prepare students for ‘jobs of the future’ by exposing them to industries such as defence and mining and the pathway to get there.

“This is not about footy,” Thomas said.

... “You think science, maths, and yes it can be intimidating to a kid in Year 10 but what can it lead to and what does it look like? It’s about computers, design, and we find just exposure to what’s possible opens their eyes to the world.”

... Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal programs director Paul Vandenbergh said literacy levels among indigenous students was still lagging to at least Grade 3 and the average life expectancy of an Aboriginal man was 59 — 20 years younger than non-Aboriginal males.
“For me that feels very scary, if I’m entering my 40s. So we are not changing our mentality about how we see sugar, about seeing exercise as a daily occurrence — this (centre of excellence) is how we do it,” Vandenbergh said.

... Six years ago Port Adelaide changed its motto from ‘we exist to win premierships’ to ‘we exist to win premierships and make our community proud’.
“We felt like we needed to recognise that and be defined by that, and that really provided the impetus for these areas,” Thomas said. “We’ve always had a fantastic record with our Aboriginal players and the work that Pauly has done has defined us in many ways for a decade.

“For us this is a natural extension of the work we are already doing.”
I wonder if Santos would throw in some more money?

There are 2 components to this and I reckon should be built in 2 stages.

First is a building to house the ever expanding community programs and staff which would be on the 2nd floor. On 1st floor or ground floor is an open space that would be used for seminars, classrooms, functions and can be used for indoor sports eg basketball.

The club should just build this. Borrow monies if they have to, but get some corporate support as well and use the Australian Sports Foundation tax deductible eligible projects route. I don't know how much of the $4m already received from the feds can be allocated for this building, but it probably costs $5-$6m of the $18m total.

The 50 room accommodation centre is a different priority. That involves a lot of lobbying and that wont be easy. That needs maybe 15-30 partners who chip in between $400k and $1mil each. That isn't core business so we try and get the funding, but IMO its not a priority.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back