Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are so intent on being a quasi government department for Aboriginal Education then surely they'd be happy to chip it all in as part of that budget each year?
Yes, because the LNP’s ideology is to generously fund indigeous causes?

This project is happening because our government is s**t and we want to be seen as non-controversial good guys. Not exactly a strong case for diverting from other aboriginal support expenditure.

At the APC today at Karen Bolton oval.
Remember this name, Leonard WELLS. Wow just wow. Undoubtedly the best 16 y.o. I've ever seen, ever.

From Port Lincoln, plays for Malley Park, nephew of Daniel.

Spoke to him and seems like a terrific kid. Got no idea how committed he is but jaw dropping talent.

Probably end up similar build to his uncle.

Anyone putting down PCL really needs to see what they do first hand. Its really brilliant.

Remember this name, Leonard WELLS. Wow just wow. Undoubtedly the best 16 y.o. I've ever seen, ever.

Spoke to him and seems like a terrific kid. Got no idea how committed he is but jaw dropping talent.

Anyone putting down PCL really needs to see what they do first hand. Its really brilliant.
What does APC stand for?

Aboriginal Power Cup
s**t is it that time of year already?? Interesting that they have moved it away from Alberton Oval. Karen Rolton Oval opposite the new RAH is an excellent little set up.

Last edited:

Yes, but on whose list will he finish up? Does the AFL give us any priority in drafting these kids?

Yes, but on whose list will he finish up? Does the AFL give us any priority in drafting these kids?
If he is from Mallee Park, and its still in our old west coast zone that Norwood got, and we are aligned to their country zone then he can join our Next Generation Academy. If he has moved away from that zone but is still in an SA footy country zone he can be allocated to our NGA or the crows. If he lives in the city, then forget it.

If he is from Mallee Park, and its still in our old west coast zone that Norwood got, and we are aligned to their country zone then he can join our Next Generation Academy. If he has moved away from that zone but is still in an SA footy country zone he can be allocated to our NGA or the crows. If he lives in the city, then forget it.

Thought so. It doesn't matter how good he is or how much work we put into him it is where he resides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our logo is peeling and falling off the HQ, and our footy side is struggling and sorely needs a state of the art training base to keep up with the pace of the game - and we are off putting our resources into building a 50 bed hostel.

Get your ******* priorities straight for *s sake. I'm so done with this shitshow of a club. What the * are we? A charity who plays a bit of football on the weekend?

******* hell

Last edited:
Our logo is peeling and falling off the HQ was and our footy side is struggling and sorely needs a state of the art training base to keep up with the pace of the game - and we are off putting our resources into building a 50 bed hostel.

Get your ******* priorities straight for ****s sake. I'm so done with this ****show of a club. What the **** are we? A charity who plays a bit of football on the weekend?

******* hell
That is exactly what we have become. They have changed our club by stealth over the past six years.
It feels almost unrecognisable.
Whoever had led this should be sacked.

That is exactly what we have become. They have changed our club by stealth over the past six years.
It feels almost unrecognisable.
Whoever had led this should be sacked.

We are beyond sacking now. These people have ruined 150 years of heritage in a handful of years. They've destroyed everything that was built and now even if we sacked them and returned to traditional values - it wouldn't be the same. We are forever changed.

**** is it that time of year already?? Interesting that they have moved it away from Alberton Oval. Karen Rolton Oval opposition the new RAH is an excellent little set up.
I think they did it more due to the amount of kids this year, from memory about 425 which is record participation. They had 8 small grounds going yesterday, fit about 4 onto a normal ground. But yeh the setup is good there as it's more central and probably assists with accommodation.

I think some supporters worry about the effort and resources put in by PCL but they must understand that PCL is completely autonomous to the football department with the funding being a mixture of private and government that isn't taken away from the footy department.
If anything, PCL assists the club with sponsors for the footy club, GFG is the best example of this, as they can see the brilliant community work that goes on. I was chatting to some of the kids up in the expo area and it was brilliant to see how many of them had goals of going to Uni or joining the ADF, Sapol etc. Without PCL's work I wonder how many less kids would have these goals.

I would encourage fans to go along and have a look, check out the expo etc. It's open to the public. There will be a lot of players down there today after the captains run.

I think they did it more due to the amount of kids this year, from memory about 425 which is record participation. They had 8 small grounds going yesterday, fit about 4 onto a normal ground. But yeh the setup is good there as it's more central and probably assists with accommodation.

I think some supporters worry about the effort and resources put in by PCL but they must understand that PCL is completely autonomous to the football department with the funding being a mixture of private and government that isn't taken away from the footy department.
If anything, PCL assists the club with sponsors for the footy club, GFG is the best example of this, as they can see the brilliant community work that goes on. I was chatting to some of the kids up in the expo area and it was brilliant to see how many of them had goals of going to Uni or joining the ADF, Sapol etc. Without PCL's work I wonder how many less kids would have these goals.

I would encourage fans to go along and have a look, check out the expo etc. It's open to the public. There will be a lot of players down there today after the captains run.
I agree with all you wrote.

It's why I dislike Koch''s spin about our PCL programs where he implies we are funding this out of general footy revenue. His dopey line that he doesnt want us to make big profits because we are a community club and would rather see money put towards the PCL programs.

We have to make big profits to pay off debt and build stuff.

We aren't WCE who fund a lot of their programs out of their massive profits. Sure they get some government funding and corporate support but they generate so much football revenue they can divert it to funding a big chunk of their community programs Collingwood do a lot of stuff especially their community housing, off balance sheet.

Our men and women get off their arse and go and get government grants and corporate support to fund these programs. It builds long term relationships which over time bring benefits to the club and therefore the footy programs through these people and connections.

Last edited:

Nice post

Not Port related but this tweet was liked by Paul Vandenbergh and retweeted by Allan Murray

Undoubtedly a person that should be receiving much more focus as we look back on remarkable aboriginal figures of the game, but somehow never does. Thirty years ago we had an aboriginal umpire, one hasn't been seen since. Are we really improving opportunities and tolerance?

This fits under the Why Community part of the title rather than Aboriginal Programs part.

In today's Tsier there is a story about Russell Ebert working with Paul Northeast's son Will in the community programs. Will has played in the junior grades for Port, was an Academy player post 2013 changes, was one year a Magpies contracted player, has worked in the membership department, seen him pull beers behind the bar over the years and is now in the Community programs department as the manager of the Power to be Positive program that works with the Australian Defence Force families.

They are separated by 46 years in age but their surnames will forever be bound by Port Adelaide history and now they’re working side by side at Alberton. Russell Ebert, arguably Port Adelaide’s greatest ever player, is heading up the club’s community programs with Will Northeast — the son of eight-time premiership hero Paul. Four-time Magarey Medallist Ebert coached Paul in 1987 and said it was nice to now be working with his son at the footy club. “It’s a continuation of a really good history at the club and I think it’s always important to keep players and families involved,” Ebert said. “To see Will come on board and be so passionate about the footy club and really find his direction, it’s great to see the same determination and even skill sets in what the diversity of the community programs needs.”

But this bit explains why we made the move in 1999 to go the Community. It was Rob Snowden's idea after having worked several years for the swans. Its the first time I have heard or read the explanation why?

Ebert turned 70 last week and the staff at Port Adelaide surprised him with a birthday cake and an ice coffee to fuel his once-a-day habit.

It also marked 20 years since he lobbied the club to begin its community work in earnest. “It’s grown so much from when we started in 1999 — Rob Snowdon was the football operations manager from Sydney Swans and they had to get out in the community and promote the game plus their own club,” Ebert said.

“We didn’t have to do that here because we were established and well-known but the community side we really wanted to develop. “So we brought all that together with the community youth program and got straight into schools.” That has now grown into its own arm of the club known as ‘Power Community Limited’ and which runs programs across all sectors of the community. “Promoting all sorts of issues and causes as well as healthy lifestyles, making good decisions, surrounding yourself with positive people and building relationships,” Ebert said........

We would have to be a big chance to get Ash Barty involved in our community program even just at an ambassador level.

Saw this on ABC News tonight - well part of the vision in the SA Water video tweet below and the news reader read out some stuff. Story was introduced saying footy boots could be a hot item this Christmas in the remote community of Amata after launch of first grass oval in the APY lands.

SA Water have built a $2m recycled water plant, to clean up waste water up in the APY lands, to use the water so finally the community have an oval with grass on it rather than just red dirt.

The PCL team went to help launch the first game including umpiring. The first 15 seconds or so of what Pauly V says in the video was in the news story.

Have a good look at the drone shoot of the oval and you can see its not quiet centred. The left hand end the gap between ths top of the 50m arc and the centre square line is about 3m and the other end its about 10m.

From Port's website.

THE PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB has helped launch the newly upgraded oval at Amata on the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands, near the South Australia/Northern Territory border. Thanks to a new SA Water wastewater treatment plant, the oval is irrigated using recycled water. Its newly grassed surface stands out like a green oasis against the vast red and brown desert landscape which surrounds it.

The oval, some 1300 kilometres north-west of Adelaide, was opened on Wednesday and will be used by the local football league and the wider community. Port Adelaide used the opportunity to host a carnival for its WillPOWER program. “WillPOWER is about encouraging students in the APY and Maralinga Lands to stay engaged with and complete their schooling,” said Port Adelaide Aboriginal Programs Director Paul Vandenbergh.

SA Water’s Manager of Remote Communities Simon Wurst said their objective was to provide Amata with a functional open space that can be maintained in an environmentally sustainable way. “Each day, around 70,000 litres of wastewater is treated at the plant and pumped to an underground irrigation system at the oval,” He said. “It’s a massive feat to have not only recycled water infrastructure in such an isolated location, but also green grass. “We met this challenge through innovative solutions like special durable materials and remote monitoring and operation technology. “Building relationships between the local community and our Remote Communities team has also been essential to ensuring the infrastructure delivers the fundamental public health outcomes as well as a liveability outcome for the people we’re serving.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back