AFLW Pre-season (Nov/Dec 2021) - Practice match results in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Information doesn’t have to come from a club employee. There are plenty of people close to clubs that would have knowledge of such a situation.
Uh no, the information has to come from a club employee at some point for there to be a leak, which didn't happen.

I believe those two were bang on, in their podcast. And I don’t believe podcasts count as social media either.
You're being silly, a lot of people on the internet said it when the news first came out, which is what I'm referring to with "evidence-free speculation from social media". Those people weren't going off inside information, they're just awesome detectives who had to tell the world how smart they are.

Uh no, the information has to come from a club employee at some point for there to be a leak, which didn't happen.

You're being silly, a lot of people on the internet said it when the news first came out, which is what I'm referring to with "evidence-free speculation from social media". Those people weren't going off inside information, they're just awesome detectives who had to tell the world how smart they are.
I’m not referring to social media. I’m referring to a specific podcast.

And if you believe such news can be kept in-house at a footy club, and is only known by the medical staff and those that need to know, you’re being very naïve.

I would guarantee the whole playing squad new. The trainers and coaches new. That news was discussed with family or house mates etc.

That stuff gets out. But it’s not the type of information clubs will confirm. So St Kilda ran with the club statement it released, when it knew various media had the news.

So then it’s up to the media to go with or not go with such a story.

And if you believe such news can be kept in-house at a footy club, and is only known by the medical staff and those that need to know, you’re being very naïve.

I would guarantee the whole playing squad new. The trainers and coaches new. That news was discussed with family or house mates etc.
Ok well you just said that info doesn't have to come from a club employee for it to leak, but now you're saying it does. Maybe I am naive, but I can keep my story straight.

I’m not referring to social media. I’m referring to a specific podcast.
Ffs, I'm referring to social media, pointing out it was being said by many people well before the specific podcast that you're oddly obsessed with.

If your mission is to derail the thread and celebrate those people who made statements (via whatever form of media) about a player's private life when it was inappropriate to do so, then congratulations, mission accomplished.

Ok well you just said that info doesn't have to come from a club employee for it to leak, but now you're saying it does. Maybe I am naive, but I can keep my story straight.

Ffs, I'm referring to social media, pointing out it was being said by many people well before the specific podcast that you're oddly obsessed with.

If your mission is to derail the thread and celebrate those people who made statements (via whatever form of media) about a player's private life when it was inappropriate to do so, then congratulations, mission accomplished.
Now I believe you’re being obtuse.

News out of a club doesn’t have to come directly from a club employee to a reporter. It can go from to club employee to ex player, who the talks to said reporter who has links to the club.

I’m not trying to keep any story straight. Just saying how these things usually get out.

Of course I’m referring to that particular podcast, because that’s the one I specifically mentioned last month, which you then went at me about. I’m just throwing it back in your face saying they were right all along and to get off your high horse.

News out of a club doesn’t have to come directly from a club employee to a reporter. It can go from to club employee to ex player, who the talks to said reporter who has links to the club.
And I'm saying that didn't happen. Move on.

Of course I’m referring to that particular podcast, because that’s the one I specifically mentioned last month, which you then went at me about. I’m just throwing it back in your face saying they were right all along and to get off your high horse.
"Right all along" in this case would mean shutting the heck up at the appropriate time, which a lot of people like yourself struggled to do.

If I was on my high horse then, I'm still on it now. It was wrong for people to speculate about Patrikios' vaccination status, that's what I objected to, and I stand by it. Couldn't care less if it upset you, poor dear.

And I'm saying that didn't happen. Move on.

"Right all along" in this case would mean shutting the fu** up at the appropriate time, which a lot of people like yourself struggled to do.

If I was on my high horse then, I'm still on it now. It was wrong for people to speculate about Patrikios' vaccination status, that's what I objected to, and I stand by it. Couldn't care less if it upset you, poor dear.
Nothing upset me.

But I don’t like people telling other people what they can and can’t talk about, which you keep doing here.

Covid in the afl is a legitimate news story and topic for discussion. If the AFL website feels it’s appropriate to publish stories on various teams and players, then I don’t see the problem here. Even if it’s based on pure speculation.

Is there any way to access clubs injury list/reports ?

Pre-season is usually very light on and teams talk in general teams even when players end up missing most or all of the season (ie Brazill and Morrison in 2021)

Usually the practice match round will indicate which players are in contention for round 1, although there are always a few players who get managed for the practice match but are good to go for Round 1.

During the season St Kilda is one of the few clubs to publish a weekly injury report. Often injuries will be mentioned in the discussion of ins and outs for the AFLW and club websites.

The best thing the AFL could do is insist on the same system of injury reporting in the AFLW as in the AFL starting a fortnight prior to practice matches.

Same thing every year and still nothing done about it. How many more ACLs will they suffer? These numerous and ongoing knee injuries are crippling for the sport and the women. We should be working on knee stability above all else. Are other womens sports like this, or have they figured it out and we're laggin behind with the knowledge? Nothing changes until there are changes!
Issue of Knee injuries is not isolate to AFL, it seems majority of sports are affected.

Article suggests taking the pill and other studies reduced workloads depending on the menstrual cycle.

The other factor is muscular and skeletal structure of females ie Hip to waist ratio puts more pressure on the knees.

Fremantle’s high performance officer is working on strengthening certain muscle groups to increasing capacity to cope with the extra pressures on the knees.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Cooper today said Fremantle's practice match against West Coast will be on the 21st December (a Tuesday).
[EDIT: also mentioned at the bottom of this article]

Article on Melbourne's website also confirmed the Dees' practice match will be against Collingwood next Saturday.

Hopefully all practice match venues and times are announced within the next 24 hours.

It will definitely feel like the upcoming season is near as this weekend’s (and Tuesday’s) teams drop.

With a bit of luck clubs will also stream the practice matches (though I expect three at most), which may or may not be open to the public. Either way, I'm not gonna attend any. If the AFL wanted supporters to turn up, the schedule would've been released weeks ago.

---

In the meantime...

Although this isn't the punting board, here are the premiership odds so as to possibly avoid a repeat of the many misguided comments of last season. The flak a 0-2 Carlton copped for entering 2021 as flag favourites was quite strange, considering they weren't flag favourites (it was North followed closely by Freo).

TAB money - AFLW 2022
Melbourne (W) $5
Brisbane (W) 5.50
Adelaide (W) 5.50
Collingwood (W) 6.50
North Melbourne (W) $8
Fremantle (W) 9.00
Western Bulldogs (W) $11
Carlton (W) $17
GWS (W) $26
Richmond (W) $51
St Kilda (W) $51
West Coast (W) $67
Geelong (W) $81
Gold Coast (W) $101

Wacky odds for the Bulldogs and St Kilda. And the overreaction to Carlton's trade period will become clearer to all in due course, as it did with Melbourne last time around.

With a bit of luck clubs will also stream the practice matches (though I expect three at most), which may or may not be open to the public. Either way, I'm not gonna attend any. If the AFL wanted supporters to turn up, the schedule would've been released weeks ago.

---

In the meantime...

Although this isn't the punting board, here are the premiership odds so as to possibly avoid a repeat of the many misguided comments of last season. The flak a 0-2 Carlton copped for entering 2021 as flag favourites was quite strange, considering they weren't flag favourites (it was North followed closely by Freo).

TAB money - AFLW 2022
Melbourne (W) $5
Brisbane (W) 5.50
Adelaide (W) 5.50
Collingwood (W) 6.50
North Melbourne (W) $8
Fremantle (W) 9.00
Western Bulldogs (W) $11
Carlton (W) $17
GWS (W) $26
Richmond (W) $51
St Kilda (W) $51
West Coast (W) $67
Geelong (W) $81
Gold Coast (W) $101

Wacky odds for the Bulldogs and St Kilda. And the overreaction to Carlton's trade period will become clearer to all in due course, as it did with Melbourne last time around.
which clubs would be most likely to stream these practice matches? very interested in watching them.

BTW i really like Fremantle at those odds - their fixture is fantastic and should set them up really well for a top 2 finish.

which clubs would be most likely to stream these practice matches? very interested in watching them.
None of them, based on last season iirc. Think the best we got was highlights packages from some clubs.

In years prior there were instances of at least Fremantle, GWS and Brisbane organising one. AFLNT always did it for Adelaide practice games until they stopped playing up there.

Practice Match
Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns
Friday December 17
Leyshon Park, Yeronga
First Bounce: 6pm

Supporters are invited to head down to Yeronga from 5pm, with the first bounce scheduled for 6pm.

Practice match schedule for all 14 teams in the OP. Yet to see any info about live streams, but let's all agree to share it if/when we do.

LIONS SQUAD
1. E.Bates, 3. B.Koenen, 4. S.Webb, 5. J.Ellenger, 7. G.Collingwood, 8. M.Harmer, 9. O.O’Dwyer, 10. N.Grider, 11. P. Monahan, 12. S. Conway, 13. K.Lutkins, 14. D.Davidson, 15. G.Bodey, 16. B.Smith, 17. I.Dawes, 18. A.Anderson, 19. L.Yoshida-Martin, 20. S.Campbell, 21. C.Hodder, 22. Z.Farquharson, 23. J.Wuestschner, 24. L.Pullar, 27. M.Pauga, 28. M.Moloney, 29. R.Svarc, 30. J.Wardlaw, 31. T.Smith, 32. L.Pearce

SUNS SQUAD
2. L.Bella, 3. T.Groves-Little, 4. C.Whitfort, 8. C.Rowbottom, 9. S.Dankert, 12. T.Bohanna, 14. S.Watson, 15. W.Randell, 16. B.Perry, 17. J.Stanton, 18. J.Baird, 19. A.Bush, 20. D.D'Arcy, 21. A.Barba, 22. G.Davies, 23. K.Howarth, 24. H.Dunn, 25. D.Heslop, 26. K.Surman, 28. S.Perkins, 29. C.Hammond, 30. E.Keaney, 33. A.Drennan, 39. V.Saad, 42. J.Pregelj

Cathy Svarc, Hickie and Tahau are the notable absentees for Brisbane.

Yorston, Ahrens, Single and Hampson are the presumed unavailable regulars for GC.

Practice match schedule for all 14 teams in the OP. Yet to see any info about live streams, but let's all agree to share it if/when we do.

LIONS SQUAD
1. E.Bates, 3. B.Koenen, 4. S.Webb, 5. J.Ellenger, 7. G.Collingwood, 8. M.Harmer, 9. O.O’Dwyer, 10. N.Grider, 11. P. Monahan, 12. S. Conway, 13. K.Lutkins, 14. D.Davidson, 15. G.Bodey, 16. B.Smith, 17. I.Dawes, 18. A.Anderson, 19. L.Yoshida-Martin, 20. S.Campbell, 21. C.Hodder, 22. Z.Farquharson, 23. J.Wuestschner, 24. L.Pullar, 27. M.Pauga, 28. M.Moloney, 29. R.Svarc, 30. J.Wardlaw, 31. T.Smith, 32. L.Pearce

SUNS SQUAD
2. L.Bella, 3. T.Groves-Little, 4. C.Whitfort, 8. C.Rowbottom, 9. S.Dankert, 12. T.Bohanna, 14. S.Watson, 15. W.Randell, 16. B.Perry, 17. J.Stanton, 18. J.Baird, 19. A.Bush, 20. D.D'Arcy, 21. A.Barba, 22. G.Davies, 23. K.Howarth, 24. H.Dunn, 25. D.Heslop, 26. K.Surman, 28. S.Perkins, 29. C.Hammond, 30. E.Keaney, 33. A.Drennan, 39. V.Saad, 42. J.Pregelj

Cathy Svarc, Hickie and Tahau are the notable absentees for Brisbane.

Yorston, Ahrens, Single and Hampson are the presumed unavailable regulars for GC.

I re-read an AFL.com.au article where they said that Yorston may not be right for Round 1 due to her ACL prior to the 2021 season and that Ahrens is also likely to be in doubt following offseason surgery.

I re-read an AFL.com.au article where they said that Yorston may not be right for Round 1 due to her ACL prior to the 2021 season and that Ahrens is also likely to be in doubt following offseason surgery.
Yes well Yorston's ACL injury was announced on 11th January, but this report from October suggests she didn't have her knee operation until around 7th February and thus may not make her return until "mid-season".

The Suns have the Cats and Saints in R6 and R8, though ideally they'd want her back at least a few weeks earlier to settle in before a couple of potentially season-defining games.

Some of the absent players for each team that I noticed, excluding recently reported long-term injuries and unavailabilities, are listed below.

Melbourne: Purcell (knee)
C'wood: Brazill

Adelaide: Mules, Cox
GWS Giants: Barr (shoulder), McKinnon (concussion)

Carlton: Laloifi, Hill
St Kilda: Vogt, Exon, Patrikios

W. Bulldogs: Huntington, McLeod, Berry, Lynch, Lagoia (Three VFLW-listed Bulldogs--Riley Christgoergl, Eliza Morrison and Jemima Woods--have been added as top-up players.)
North Melb.: Slender, Gibson

Richmond: Sarah Hosking (quad), Ellie McKenzie (lower leg - medium-term), Maddie Shevlin (toe - short term), Akec Makur Chuot (knee - short term), Iilish Ross (lower leg - medium term), Tessa Lavey (basketball)
Geelong: Barber (knee)

A full match replay of Richmond v Geelong will be available on richmondfc.com.au on Sunday.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back