Prelim - Changes / Discussion v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oliver 100% initiated that scuffle, had Berry pinned on the ground and with his forearm across his throat.

Instead of acknowledging that, all Lyon and his cronies could do was to condemn Bez for the alleged "gouge".

Loved the way the cameras kept highlighting Oliver's bloodshot left eye, completely ignoring the fact that the alleged gouge was on the other side of Oliver's face.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story fellas
Tis but a scratch

Collingwood put Geelong to sword for at least the first half with chaos footy, just playing on at all costs to disrupt their structure, Jeremy Cameron is a confidence player, will kick them from anywhere if he gets his tail up so may be a second tall to get him frustrated early, believe it or not we will probably have some advantage against them at MCG now😂

We won’t be given a chance so carry on with what we’re doing. There is absolutely no reason to go back to blokes like Lyons/Robbo. Look what happens when you take a few risks and mix it up!? O and Daniher straight back for Fort and Fullarton.

I would bring Prior in for Answerth as well.

I‘d bring in Matho for Berry. We were so much better in the second half with another big bodied mid and I don’t think Geelong will hurt us on the spread as much as some other teams.

Such a shame he had to put a downer on such an amazing match

Yep into the *ing prelim!

Joe in. Fullarton out.
Oscar in. Fort (unlucky) out.

Hope like hell Jarrod doesn’t miss but if he does it’ll be interesting whether we go back to Matho or stick with someone with more speed again.

Out: Kardinia Park
In: MCG

Take Geelong away from Geelong where that ground is not a ground and they are very beatable.

Is Marcus Adams definitely out for the year. I no Fagan said so a fortnight + ago, but has he improved or has the line gone thru his name this year like Lyons.

Also, I'm not advocating it, but could Mitch be a chance given how old Geelong are. Seeing Selwood and Danger in recent weeks, they aren't quick and Mitch's hardness and experience may be useful if Jerry is wrongly ruled out.

Don't think they will risk it. Was similar symptom description as Justin Clarke.

Miss the next two games hurts, but gotta put his health first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should keep the same team. And trade Daniher to the Dogs for Dunkley.

Same team for the prelim?

I don't agree. Last night Dee's went in on the mantra that 80% of player A is better than 100% of player B. Which is what we have done all year. And it doesn't work.

We are a mature team and have shown that we can bring players, even debutants, in without disrupting the game play.

The team should be picked every week based on the needs of the opposition. Fast/contested/running/tall.

I get rewarding players but need to put the best for that game on the park each week.

Dizzy maybe. Harris unfortunately has to play on Hawk which is a problem for us, but the others are way too small.

I'd start Payne on rohan and hopefully Dizzy can stick with Cameron enough. Just feel Cameron's leading patterns will be a bit much for Jack to handle.
kind of agree, though I think Starce could play against Rohan. Rohan is very strong, but Starce has that too.

kind of agree, though I think Starce could play against Rohan. Rohan is very strong, but Starce has that too.

Starce required for stengle I think. Payne's a good matchup for Rohan, quick enough to stay with him and Rohan actually jumps at the footy a lot to crash the pack which isn't something Hawk really does anymore (and Cameron never has) so you need someone who can compete in the air too.

Congratulations on the win. Obviously devastating for us but we were beaten by the better team on the night.

Would you folks know when the Lions GF ticket ballot is this week? Asking for a friend who isn't the most tech savvy.

I'll be there Friday anyway at least... * Geelong.

Let's see how the boys pull up and how Berry goes. I don't know whether it's my bias but there wasn't a lot in it. It wasn't a full eye gouge and Oliver had his arm in his throat. Also no physical repercussions for Oliver. Our past experiences with the Tribunal haven't been great , we're low hanging fruit . But it is a Prelim coming up so you'd think it has to be reasonably conclusive for him to cop anything. I hate getting back to Cripps but no earthly comparison in the acts or the outcome.

Unlike others I thought Payne was ok last night. Was really punching it away 20 metres on occasions and the Pickett thing was just a fluke . Of course he should've marked it but it's obvious he's been told to punch it whenever he can. We don't have much of a matchup for Payne . Unfortunately Harris to Hawkins , no other options there I feel. Starc to Stengle or Rohan. Dizz or Payne to Cameron (looks like our achilles heel) and Payne to Rohan if it's Dizz.

I don't want to risk Payne on Cameron or Hawkins but I suppose we could roll the dice and get Harris further up the ground.

If Bez plays it'll be a simple Daniher/Oscar for Fullarton/Fort. It's really tough because no way does Fort deserve to be dropped. He was cramping up 15 minutes into the last quarter and pulled himself together to really give the team something in those dying minutes.

If Geelong have time to spot up targets in their forward 50 we'll get beaten by 80 points. In current form Hawkins and Cameron will destroy whatever mix of Andrews/Payne/Gardiner we use - both on the lead and contested.

We simply must provide the same pressure to their midfielders that we showed last night to be any chance. I think we match up much better against Geelong in the middle than what we do against Melbourne so here's hoping.

Same team for the prelim?

I don't agree. Last night Dee's went in on the mantra that 80% of player A is better than 100% of player B. Which is what we have done all year. And it doesn't work.

We are a mature team and have shown that we can bring players, even debutants, in without disrupting the game play.

The team should be picked every week based on the needs of the opposition. Fast/contested/running/tall.

I get rewarding players but need to put the best for that game on the park each week.
agree 100%, I and others have been saying it all year. that our best 22 (or at least 20 or 21 of the 22) should not be an automatic lock each week. Opposition strengths and weaknesses need to be considered. I really hope Berry is not suspended but would consider Lyons (although apparently not playing VFL?) against the bigger Cats midfield, but also happy to see Matho there.

For those considering Lester's inclusion, consider who he is going to match up against Hawkins-no, Cameron-no, Rohan-no.

Let's see how the boys pull up and how Berry goes. I don't know whether it's my bias but there wasn't a lot in it. It wasn't a full eye gouge and Oliver had his arm in his throat. Also no physical repercussions for Oliver. Our past experiences with the Tribunal haven't been great , we're low hanging fruit . But it is a Prelim coming up so you'd think it has to be reasonably conclusive for him to cop anything. I hate getting back to Cripps but no earthly comparison in the acts or the outcome.

Unlike others I thought Payne was ok last night. Was really punching it away 20 metres on occasions and the Pickett thing was just a fluke . Of course he should've marked it but it's obvious he's been told to punch it whenever he can. We don't have much of a matchup for Payne . Unfortunately Harris to Hawkins , no other options there I feel. Starc to Stengle or Rohan. Dizz or Payne to Cameron (looks like our achilles heel) and Payne to Rohan if it's Dizz.

I don't want to risk Payne on Cameron or Hawkins but I suppose we could roll the dice and get Harris further up the ground.

If Bez plays it'll be a simple Daniher/Oscar for Fullarton/Fort. It's really tough because no way does Fort deserve to be dropped. He was cramping up 15 minutes into the last quarter and pulled himself together to really give the team something in those dying minutes.
Little concerned that on two occasions, Harris near the goals and Payne very late 2nd Q, punched the ball when could have taken marks (easy said from the armchair) the Pickett one, yes could have marked but got the ball to ground and Starc let Pickett of the leash to pick it up. I think Harris has to take Hawkins and Payne probably on Rohan but we need another gutsy effort from our mids.
Agree no way Fort deserves not to play, apart from first Q, thought he played well.

Little concerned that on two occasions, Harris near the goals and Payne very late 2nd Q, punched the ball when could have taken marks (easy said from the armchair) the Pickett one, yes could have marked but got the ball to ground and Starc let Pickett of the leash to pick it up. I think Harris has to take Hawkins and Payne probably on Rohan but we need another gutsy effort from our mids.
Agree no way Fort deserves not to play, apart from first Q, thought he played well.

Payne made a few errors in the first half but I will say that he used the ball pretty well and had pretty high metres gained given the number of disposals he ended up with.

A work in progress, but the choice to spoil aside thought his decision making was generally pretty good last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back