Moved Thread Pressure mounts on Dockers to give Woodside sponsorship the heave ho

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish, the technology exists for anyone to live off the grid if they choose to.

Course it would be hideously expensive if they wanted reliable power. It would shift a lot of people into poverty.

Also potentially hideously inconvenient to ride a bike everywhere instead of take a car. Or to have cold showers. Or to rug up in winter instead of running a heater.
That's the issue, to be complete guilt free and do 100% the right thing you need a heap of money. The way people make a heap of money is through high energy processes, investing in companies that use massive amount of energy and resources or just having family money that came about through these means when they were unknown back in the day. Everything is connected and it takes a long time to change the system.

Here, have a closer look. He's cherry picked the bad ones.

Richmond has a pokie business, which is far worse than excepting sponsorship from a miner. It's just praying on the weak minded caveman brains & ruining lives, it offers nothing to society. Energy can at least be used for good as well (run hospitals & schools, ambulances & buses) and it takes time & research to switch society over.

Where is the OP's outrange against that?

We should all be doing our bit to help reduce wastage etc., - smaller cars, ride-sharing or public transport where possible, solar panels, recycling more etc. however, what each individual is able to achieve absolutely pales in comparison to some of the larger companies and what they can do to help do their bit and that is where the sentiment of this lies (The people v Woodside)
People don’t do their bit though so it’s just imo lazy to blame companies like Woodside. Individuals and governments are the only way we see change.

People don’t do their bit though so it’s just imo lazy to blame companies like Woodside. Individuals and governments are the only way we see change.

Agree with the bolded bit - governments absolutely should be doing more, rather than reflecting the guilt/burden to individuals who, I would say, most would love to do more, however cannot for various reasons. Being green is a luxury - it takes either time, money or both and with the cost of living being what it is, most people are both time and money poor so can only do so much.

Also, RE: your point about individuals not doing more - remember the REDcycle scheme? Fell apart not because of individuals, but the companies set up to deal with the plastics, couldn't handle the amount of soft plastics people were attempting to recycle by doing the right thing

Companies turning massive profits should be doing more, too. Individuals can only do so much

That's the issue, to be complete guilt free and do 100% the right thing you need a heap of money. The way people make a heap of money is through high energy processes, investing in companies that use massive amount of energy and resources or just having family money that came about through these means when they were unknown back in the day. Everything is connected and it takes a long time to change the system.

Richmond has a pokie business, which is far worse than excepting sponsorship from a miner. It's just praying on the weak minded caveman brains & ruining lives, it offers nothing to society. Energy can at least be used for good as well (run hospitals & schools, ambulances & buses) and it takes time & research to switch society over.

I'm not happy about pokies at all. Woodside is a different kettle of fish though. Surely Freo can wash their hands of this amoral company that contributes to making things worse for everybody.

Individuals csn't do anything meaningful apart from petitioning to get rid of polluters. Climate protests do eff all.
I take your point that it is a government responsibility though.
It shouldn't be up to Freo to tackle the climate crisis but unfortunately that's the reality when governments do nothing.
Freo can easily get another sponsor, at the moment they are being used to promote propaganda .
Most Freo suporters , like most people, want less bushfires and a future for their children ect.
If they keep Woodside, there will be a stench associated with Freo and you may even lose players.

I'm not happy about pokies at all. Woodside is a different kettle of fish though. Surely Freo can wash their hands of this amoral company that contributes to making things worse for everybody.
joel mchale community GIF

I agree 100%.

Thank god we don't have that crap here in WA.

Individuals csn't do anything meaningful apart from petitioning to get rid of polluters. Climate protests do eff all.
I take your point that it is a government responsibility though.
It shouldn't be up to Freo to tackle the climate crisis but unfortunately that's the reality when governments do nothing.
Freo can easily get another sponsor, at the moment they are being used to promote propaganda .
Most Freo suporters , like most people, want less bushfires and a future for their children ect.
If they keep Woodside, there will be a stench associated with Freo and you may even lose players.
Every individual is a consumer. Consumer’s are the reason for consumption. I just counted, I have 7 TV’s, a pool and spa at my house, we drive two large 4wd’s and have a caravan. people like myself are to blame as much as any company.

Enjoy your electricity rationing when you rely on solar and wind only. LMAO. :$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$
No Woodside propaganda please. There are many sources of renewable power but governments don't invest in them.
Offshore wind is a no brainer, plus solar, wave power, the list goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically though what kind of Australian companies do have a spare $2 million in the kitty to throw at football clubs for sponsorship? You'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have a variety of morally contentious issues.

No Woodside propaganda please. There are many sources of renewable power but governments don't invest in them.
Offshore wind is a no brainer, plus solar, wave power, the list goes on.
Yep and it's the government's fault we're in this mess, not Freo's. Do you know Richmond has the government listed as a partner too?

Realistically though what kind of Australian companies do have a spare $2 million in the kitty to throw at football clubs for sponsorship? You'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have a variety of morally contentious issues.
Denmark-based Copenhagen Energy has plans for its Leeuwin offshore wind farm.Tesla.
Maybe them.

Yep. All the sponsors you replied to that RFC have are (mostly) personal choices in a pure sense for the individual and only affect them if they choose to use those products (other than alcohol related instances)

In the case of Freo, we as individuals have no choice in the matter - what these big mining companies do to the environment is (mostly) out of our control. I 100% back getting rid of woodside from Freo.

When are you going to give up the benefits mining deliver you such as the $AUD ? Bloody hypocrite. Have a look at the surplus the Government is so proud of.

Just because people have to participate in society doesn’t mean they’re hypocrites when they try to change things for the better. I own a laptop and mobile, yes there’s colbalt and lithium mining as part of their production. I also have to have these things to have a job. That doesn’t mean I’m a hypocrite when I want us to prioritise renewables and reduce coal and gas mining.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Did you go to the last AGM & raise your concerns about the pokies - North dont have them, Freo havent ever had them. Bloody hypocrite.

Did you go to the last AGM & raise your concerns about the pokies - North dont have them, Freo havent ever had them. Bloody hypocrite.
Yes I have sent an email to Richmond. Anyway this thread is about climate bastards, their sportswashing at Freo and people that protect them like you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back