Society/Culture Public Charity Work

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
In his only Australian interview, the outspoken singer said he and his Grammy-winning band prefer to help in private with no press conferences.

"I do it myself, I don't tell everybody I'm doing it," Johnson said.

"I don't tell everybody they should give money - they can't afford it.

"When I was a working man I didn't want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa.

Rest of the article

I agree 100%. Guys like Bono and Geldof could make a living out of going around the world giving lectures and telling people to donate.
Then you have well educated people often saying donating money only makes the problems worse in some cases.

Rest of the article

I agree 100%. Guys like Bono and Geldof could make a living out of going around the world giving lectures and telling people to donate.

So what? Good on them for doing something out of the public spotlight, if that's the choice they make.

I don't care why someone decides to donate time/money/whatever, if they're actually doing something charitable, then good on them, whether they're Bono or Joe Bloggs.

I'd suggest it's also pretty hypocritical bagging out others for being public about their charitable work while sneaking a mention of your own into the same newspaper article..

Then you have well educated people often saying donating money only makes the problems worse in some cases.

Yeah, well they're mostly people who are looking for a justification why they don't do any themselves.

Ultimately, people in the public eye doing charitable work bring a focus to that charity and to charitable work in general. This can't be a bad thing - it's something they have to offer, whatever their personal reasons for doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back