Society/Culture The Impact of AI on Society, School, and Work

Remove this Banner Ad

Look there's plenty of crap art that doesn't say much either.

As a tool it could be great but unless its saying something meaningful to me then i couldn't care less about it I spose.

It won't take long till we're desensitised to the amazing, pretty pictures.

Sure if it (AI or whatever) becomes sentient and conscious (if it isn't already) and starts making art that reflects the amazing loneliness of being the only form of consciousness of its kind. That could really be something.

this 'art' stuff is only ever loosely defined. what's the 'art' that a.i. is creating? it only exists in a digital medium. which is not insignificant. but the art that has already existed for centuries won't be shoved aside because it's so easy to 'make', there's literally billions of dollars tied up in classical, physical and already existing artwork. people will always pay to look at physical art work. they will pay to watch human musicians. they pay to watch people act on a stage.
a.i. is more likely to create a divergent industry rather than an overtaking one.

so, what's the inherent value in a piece of art? i prefer to think that there is the potential for something to be learnt and admired regardless of how it came into being. this is somewhat related to the aforementioned discussion on art movements. if we drew the line at what was not thought of as art we wouldn't have moved past cave paintings. things like impressionism was once thought of as sacrilege.

but i have no issue with people vowing against art because it's 'made' by ai. we all have our preferences.

Taking humans out of the arts is a grave mistake.
I mean WTF is A.I doing in the ******* arts anyway?!
The no good bag of chips and resistors should be relieving us of menial jobs , so we can concentrate on the arts and lifes other pursuits.
It's all arse backwards.
I kind of agree with that.

The biggest issue with ... well even automation before AI came along was the whole protestant work ethic and the ruling class of society only valuing the so called lower classes as units of economic production or cannon fodder. There's a good book called Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber that begins to address this.

this 'art' stuff is only ever loosely defined. what's the 'art' that a.i. is creating? it only exists in a digital medium. which is not insignificant. but the art that has already existed for centuries won't be shoved aside because it's so easy to 'make', there's literally billions of dollars tied up in classical, physical and already existing artwork. people will always pay to look at physical art work. they will pay to watch human musicians. they pay to watch people act on a stage.
a.i. is more likely to create a divergent industry rather than an overtaking one.

so, what's the inherent value in a piece of art? i prefer to think that there is the potential for something to be learnt and admired regardless of how it came into being. this is somewhat related to the aforementioned discussion on art movements. if we drew the line at what was not thought of as art we wouldn't have moved past cave paintings. things like impressionism was once thought of as sacrilege.

but i have no issue with people vowing against art because it's 'made' by ai. we all have our preferences.
True, but all of those things even (or especially) cave paintings (which are as sophisticated as anything since really) are the products of humans trying to say something about their lives and communicate it to other humans. Other animals practic e art to a degree, well some of them. Birds sing and dance for example. Its part of how they communicate with each other.

Even impressionism was the the result of humans pushing the boundaries of expression of human experience.

I fast tracked the development of a python tool I was working on by probably 50% using GPT. It doesn't write code perfectly, but neither do junior developers. If it can write 80%+ of what I need in a matter of seconds and I fix the rest up, that's brilliant.

I fast tracked the development of a python tool I was working on by probably 50% using GPT. It doesn't write code perfectly, but neither do junior developers. If it can write 80%+ of what I need in a matter of seconds and I fix the rest up, that's brilliant.
That's a great use for a tool.

Is tystems can’t even manage themselves withot ever increasing human input.

Irony that ai will take human jobs but more and more humans employed to fix the ai

Yes I know it shouldn’t be so, but the it industry is not motivated to cut its own workforce

A digital David Attenborough has been produced. It narrates what it sees in a webcam and uses the great mans voice and content. I always thought he would be the first person digitised, so we can enjoy his narrating nature doco's for eternity. Perhaps it will be our greatest contribution to galactic society.

This is very sophisticated. There are at least 3 AI/machine learning processes involved. The first is the voice which is done with some AI based speech synthesis program. The second is the visual recognition part, it sees and identifies objects he interacts with, understands his actions and facial expressions. This can be done at home with a $100 Intel neural compute stick running Open Vino on a PC, though in this case it's apparently ChatGPT-vision.. The third is generating the content of digital David's speech.

Forbes has a very long but interesting article about the current kerfuffle related to OpenAI and the mysterious letter promising general AI with the equally mysterious Q*. It is reasonably technical but written for average folks to understand. It is long but he has a lot to cover.

Last edited:
I fast tracked the development of a python tool I was working on by probably 50% using GPT. It doesn't write code perfectly, but neither do junior developers. If it can write 80%+ of what I need in a matter of seconds and I fix the rest up, that's brilliant.No you didn't, you will more time fixing the bugs later/

NO, It WILL cost you more time to fix the crud code later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media Bites covers the recent ACA/digustingly rich folks scam which uses AI generated content.
Nothing is real.
Adrift..............

Up until January 10, OpenAI’s “usage policies” pageOpens in a new tab included a ban on “activity that has high risk of physical harm, including,” specifically, “weapons development” and “military and warfare.” That plainly worded prohibition against military applications would seemingly rule out any official, and extremely lucrative, use by the Department of Defense or any other state military. The new policyOpens in a new tab retains an injunction not to “use our service to harm yourself or others” and gives “develop or use weapons” as an example, but the blanket ban on “military and warfare” use has vanished.

OpenAI Quietly Deletes Ban on Using ChatGPT for “Military and Warfare”

I trust that most people have seen OpenAI's SORA by now

I had a few videos go viral last year as I was sort of early in figuring out how to make videos with Stable Diffusion - or at least I was one of the first to capitalise on it online.

What OpenAI is doing now via simple prompts blows any of that out of the water. If you watch enough of these videos there's clearly some work still to be done, but the rate of progress is astounding.

NYT sues Microsoft and OpenAI about ChatGPT use of their articles during training. Interesting.
I found out the other day that reddit allows AI training. Dunning Kruger AI on the way then.

Up until January 10, OpenAI’s “usage policies” pageOpens in a new tab included a ban on “activity that has high risk of physical harm, including,” specifically, “weapons development” and “military and warfare.” That plainly worded prohibition against military applications would seemingly rule out any official, and extremely lucrative, use by the Department of Defense or any other state military. The new policyOpens in a new tab retains an injunction not to “use our service to harm yourself or others” and gives “develop or use weapons” as an example, but the blanket ban on “military and warfare” use has vanished.

OpenAI Quietly Deletes Ban on Using ChatGPT for “Military and Warfare”
An Israeli magazine claimed the IDF use AI to select targets in the mass murder in Gaza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back