News Pyke Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Had some great moments and can’t be forgotten he had us to a GF as favourites.

Ultimately though Don nailed himself to a core playing group which have failed. As that group are being disbanded, going down with the ship is the honourable thing to do.

That’s 2 of the leadership. Odds on Burton doing the right thing are remote though
What if this IS Burton doing the right thing and pushing Don out the door?

He refused to select players that would make the team faster, instead deliberately choosing to shoehorn failed slow older players, hence we got his rubbish backwards-sideways gameplan
it actually supports the notion on here that he didn't have the power he should have had at the selection table. Since when has AFC had refreshing selection? It's been going on since Blight left.

Technically the head coach ultimately reports to the Head of Football in Burton and is accountable to Roo.

They are simply in higher hierarchical positions within the organisation.

So while you'd like to say he needs to be stronger, what can he do if Burton & Roo are simply stubborn and refuse to act on his advice? That would be an issue with Burton & Roo, they need to respect the coaches opinion and not constantly overrule.

I make recommendations to my manager and even their manager above them, but ultimately if they say 'no we're doing it this way' i can't do much about it.
What he can do is quit for another job closer to home!

What can the club do when the Coach up and quits? How is that also Chapmans fault? lol
Don decided he wanted to move on so what the club should say to him mate just wait and once the review is done then we announce it?

You seriously think he "resigned" with 2 years left in his contract? Wow.

Roo aimed the gun at Don and Chapman fired it.

It is such crap at this time prior to the review even starting.

One of the few competent people in important positions at the club.

All class, the Don. I will never forget that press conference where Burton lied through his teeth and Pyke stepped in, represented his players and took responsibility for the mistakes the club made.

And now again he is taking responsibility. If only we had more people with his character.

And all the while we starved him of the football department and assistants he needed to do his job.

Broke our epic prelim drought and got us to the Grand Final. Had us playing the most exciting football we've played this century. Will never forget the 2017 prelim v Geelong.

Thanks for everything Don and all the best.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean the writing isn't on the wall for Burton and Campo, it could be and should be but we all know they're too arrogant to step down.
If he stepped down because he knew they weren't getting rid of Burton and Campo then yes, that is a problem.

Wasn't my first choice to go but I'm not unhappy either. Over the course of two seasons we developed an absolutely disgusting game style and the buck stops with him.

The worst thing that can happen now though is if everything else remains constant. Assistants needs a massive shake up (campo first) and some heads need to role in admin over some very poor decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i didnt like the same thing being repeated every week either, in fact, there were lots of things i didnt like. i just dont think HE is the issue at the club. he might contribute, but the issues look far deeper and bigger.

also it comes across as very entitled to want someone sacked because things didnt go your way all the time. (not saying that about you, just people in general).
I think Coaches outgrow their use by date.
The other "issues" will come out in the wash and Im sure what looks like Don taking the fall now, will become quite a few more people later.

You seriously think he "resigned" with 2 years left in his contract? Wow.

Roo aimed the gun at Don and Chapman fired it.

It is such crap at this time prior to the review even starting.
lol so in 30 mins when they have a press conference and don is sitting there with Fages and Chapman or Burton or whoever that he would be doing that had he been sacked? please.

The fact this has been said officially, means they can't use Don resigning as an outcome of the internal/external reviews. Surely this means more changes/heads/rolling.

Nah, I remember the AFL handing down the Essendon penalties that were for "poor governance only" they emphasised it was not for taking drugs - just poor record keeping.

A few years later WADA went bang, Essendon (the club) did not receive any punishment for their drug regime, was it Fitzpatick that said "Essendon have been penalised enough already".

I can see us doing the same thing, yes the review highlighted some issues with our coaching department, however Don is now gone so that is enough of a change.

Pikey is a successful businessman and I think he would have been in a financial position to leave with no significant payout. Some men are like that.

I think we both know nothing of his severance, those things are tied up in legal non-disclosures and apart from a rumour will never see the light of day.
I’m just saying that at his level, he would never walk for free, why would he? He is effectively unemployed now and was banking on $1.6m of salary over the next two years.
Rich people aren’t silly, I’m sure he negotiated very well and I hope he did, in my opinion he’s the (first hopefully) scapegoat.

If he stepped down because he knew they weren't getting rid of Burton and Campo then yes, that is a problem.
Yes of course that would be a problem if it was true, but we don't know that, it's an assumption, I'll just keep my melts waiting until the end of the review if they're needed.

lol so in 30 mins when they have a press conference and don is sitting there with Fages and Chapman or Burton or whoever that he would be doing that had he been sacked? please.

You are seriously deluded if you think that he jumped here without being pushed.

And what Don does or doesn't do in a presser is irrelevant. This club has history of lying through its teeth in pressers and PR releases.

Richmond - struggling coach, doesn't appear up for it. Club review, identifies issues, make significant changes, keep the coach, win a flag.

Collingwood - struggling coach, doesn't appear up for it. Club review, identifies issues, make significant changes, keep the coach, almost win a flag, may win one this year.

Adelaide - yes but our coach didn't make the finals two years in a row so he has to go pre-review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back