News Pyke Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been really disappointed by the complete silence from all the players on social media. Whatever has happened over the last two years, Pyke took us to a grand final. At least acknowledge that he’s gone.

Has the club told them not to say anything? Have the players decided the same amongst themselves?

If you don’t have anything nice to say......... Pretty authentic I’d have thought, deafening silence.

If you don’t have anything nice to say......... Pretty authentic I’d have thought, deafening silence.
Given our desire not to say anything to the media I wouldn't be surprised if the players were told not to say anything to stop the media spinning a narrative out of it. Of course not saying anything then creates a narrative of its own.

We certainly don't have a good media performer within the entire organisation

All either:
Weird voices
Dumb
Got nothing to say

Or a combo

Apologies to Ogilvie. He's interesting to listen to. Godden ok. Saunders good.

Binuk is our next best

I remember when a Phil Walsh presser was put up online i couldn't click fast enough. Everyone we've have since just flat bats every question.

You are, in fact, a massive flog. And a liar to boot.

Go produce the quotes and we'll see what they said.
Na mate I would rather be that group who believe the Crows can improve and Play top Finals In the Next Couple of Years than to be dragged down by people like you.
Again it is hard for me to ever take one of your comments serious.

Na mate I would rather be that group who believe the Crows can improve and Play top Finals In the Next Couple of Years than to be dragged down by people like you.
Again it is hard for me to ever take one of your comments serious.

Why on earth would anyone be concerned with what you 'take seriously'? You can't manage coherence at the best of times.

But if some players wanted more communication from their senior coach, were they insecure? Vulnerable? Did they need an arm around them?

And what level of responsibility does the playing group take for their performances which has led to a man widely regarded as a good coach and a good character walking away with two years to run on his deal?

Seriously that they were insecure, vulnerable, need an arm around them?

And yet this was our oldest playing group taking the field each week! I’m gobsmacked.

Seriously that they were insecure, vulnerable, need an arm around them?

And yet this was our oldest playing group taking the field each week! I’m gobsmacked.

Potentially. They did lose a grand final in 2017 so would have needed some love and support to build back up from that. Buckley handled that exceptionally with Collingwood last year.

Pyke and co threw them under the bus though with that camp. No wonder the relationship deteriorated.

Experience in this case (as in most cases) is not a positive here. After all, being 21 and 10 games in, or 30 and 200 games doesn't change s**t f that was the first lost grand final. In fact, I'd expect the experience would have made that impact even worse. There is a nativity with being young after all which would have been invaluable with dealing like a loss like that.

Last edited:
Potentially. They did lose a grand final in 2017 so would have needed some love and support to build back up from that. Buckley handled that exceptionally with Collingwood last year.

Pyke and co threw them under the bus though with that camp. No wonder the relationship deteriorated.

Experience in this case (as in most cases) means nothing here.
I liked the thread jenny61_99 started about some of this thinking.

A million different reasons and a million different solutions. The hardest solution was to recognise the emotional turmoil of losing a GF most (if not all) wanted to win for a single reason. So yes, throw your arms around them , provide them with real psychologists and tell them to go have fun over the break

Cant say for certain I recognised this at the time but if it eventuates again my solution would be to move some players out , thereby changing the reason to win, mark the cards of those who continually struggled under pressure, but also recognise my own performance as coach needs to be better

Well damn me

We lose a GF and needed to show the players love

Lets keep it real

Many of us go through tougher working and professional challenges than losing a GF

If this is how soft and fragile our playing group then we will never ever win another GF

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not amateurs where the real goal is to get pissed on the weekend with football being the secondary goal.

Also considering the serious amount of sacrifices that are made to even get in that position, I reckon you'd struggle to find a more professional challenge (outside of being sacked seeing the number of psychological impacts it can have on someone) outside of that. Especially for an older player who can understand that they've likely blown the only shot at what would have to be their dream.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well damn me

Lets keep it real

Many of us go through tougher working and professional challenges than losing a GF

If this is how soft and fragile our playing group then we will never ever win another GF

OK, fair comment, but if your work team suffered a major loss, like e.g. losing a major tender bid, how would you feel if your boss's response was to send you on a boot camp run by a bunch of amateur "mind trainers" to toughen you up?

There's a middle ground between fluffy toys and hugs, and abuse.

If that happened to me I might not be mentally broken by it because I was soft, but I sure as heck would lose trust and confidence in my leadership.

Well damn me

Lets keep it real

Genuine question: are you Don Pyke?

Yeah losing a GF shouldnt be an emotional blow , I mean we make them all the time

I will miss Don.

Players need to remember just getting paid well and cruising through your career is a waste. Grow some.

Hope Don gets success elsewhere if not against us.

That depends on your career goal. For some, getting paid well and cruising is the dream (especially if you hate the sport, which is well and truly possible seeing it would be your life). For others, it's not enough.

It's not about growing some balls either, just identifying who has that drive, and love for the game/team etc, and who doesn't.

That depends on your career goal. For some, getting paid well and cruising is the dream (especially if you hate the sport, which is well and truly possible seeing it would be your life). For others, it's not enough.

It's not about growing some balls either, just identifying who has that drive, and love for the game/team etc, and who doesn't.
I don't want anyone playing for us who has that attitude.

As long as you have a core that's solid, you should be alright.

I'd rather a Wingard then not as an example of someone who has admitted he's not here for the love of the game.

It’s interesting to actually speak with high performance athletes. The realisation they are human.

Young lad we knew recently went away with an Australian junior cricket side. When he returned he mentioned all the time he was away he was counting the time to get back for footy.

He mentioned his true love is footy, but he’s accepted he’s better at cricket, even though he doesn’t really love it.

Seemed strange to me - but that’s the human factor that we just don’t get when posting on an Internet forum

I wonder if Don Pyke will sign a non disclosure agreement to keep his mouth shut.

I hope he doesn’t and then midway through next year opens up about everything and completely blasts those who have let him and the club down.

I wonder if Don Pyke will sign a non disclosure agreement to keep his mouth shut.

I hope he doesn’t and then midway through next year opens up about everything and completely blasts those who have let him and the club down.

What would be the point of wanting that? Do it now, or let it die.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back