QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

In div 3/4 the border for north or south was the Brisbane river. Hence why UQ is in div 4 north. That would be a lot of travelling for them if they go up to Div 3 north. However Mayne is also in that comp which makes it a bit more even in the travelling sense. I still think a div 2 south team should go into div 1 to add a GC team into the mix as there hasn’t been one since Burleigh in 2019. And perhaps in later years we do see a div 2 north, central and south. Or just go back to 5 divisions with div 3 a Saturday comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freddy Furkwit at it again. I reckon that’s the tenth time you have made this same statement. Maybe time to give it a rest as we not going anywhere near South Comp considering we have 6 teams closer to us in this comp then the first side in South Comp.
It does seem strange that almost half the north competition come from south of the river however as has previously been documented on here for several years now the travelling distance is greatly reduced for these so called South of the river clubs to travel north on game day. Maybe we should forget the Brisbane river as a marker considering the NSW border is disregarded for the South competition. Do the math

It does seem strange that almost half the north competition come from south of the river however as has previously been documented on here for several years now the travelling distance is greatly reduced for these so called South of the river clubs to travel north on game day. Maybe we should forget the Brisbane river as a marker considering the NSW border is disregarded for the South competition. Do the math
A Berlin Wall mantra of the Brisbane river would produce a 4 team Northside local derby of Sandgate, Redcliffe, Kedron & ………..ummmm Gympie in Div 2 North. I don’t see Moreton Bay or Hinterland coming back anytime soon.

Then that would see Alex Hills, Kenmore, Jindalee, Wynnum, Yeronga & Park Ridge off to join the 6 existing Gold Coast teams in Div 2 South. And add Eagles and Moorooka when they come back to Saturdays too and Ballina & Byron Bay. That would make something like a 16 team comp.

Then of course if any of standalone Friday night clubs such as Jimboomba, Ormeau, Pac Pines, Collingwood Park, Springfield & Ipswich Cats if/when they make the move would become mayhem.

Freddy, Did you think this one through?

You forgot Pine Rivers to start with.

With Alex, Kenmore and Pirates electing to come north you saw a glut of sides in the north by comparison to south.

It’s true Lions and Blues going up have put a dent in those numbers as have chooks and eagles dropping to Fridays too.

So if you go back to what was before pirates managed to convince the powers that be there was less travel for their Sandgate recruits to head north, then you would have:

Sandgate, Redcliffe, Jindalee, Wynnum, Gympie, Pine, Kedron and now Zillmere. 8 team comp isn’t a bad size.

Don’t get me started on why clubs had northern rivers thrust upon them. Another exercise in greed from HQ.

Good ok Andy. His belly aching worked on that one and set a precedent.

End of the day weak leadership meant that the northern clubs were forced to travel further because of his convenience. It’s not like Gympie gets a say in which comp they play.

Aflq very happy to wield a big stick over silly little rules but weak as the proverbial on any big issues.

With Alex, Kenmore and Pirates electing to come north you saw a glut of sides in the north by comparison to south.

It’s true Lions and Blues going up have put a dent in those numbers as have chooks and eagles dropping to Fridays too.

So if you go back to what was before pirates managed to convince the powers that be there was less travel for their Sandgate recruits to head north, then you would have:

Sandgate, Redcliffe, Jindalee, Wynnum, Gympie, Pine, Kedron and now Zillmere. 8 team comp isn’t a bad size.

Don’t get me started on why clubs had northern rivers thrust upon them. Another exercise in greed from HQ.

End of the day weak leadership meant that the northern clubs were forced to travel further because of his convenience. It’s not like Gympie gets a say in which comp they play.

Aflq very happy to wield a big stick over silly little rules but weak as the proverbial on any big issues.
Freddy not that I have to explain anything to you but we won a Div 2 Competition when we had the 5 Sandgate boys and it everyone all in.

We were put into Division 3 as we were coming back from Friday Night Footy which then became Div 2 North which we stayed.

That’s how the transition went. Not sure we have to much sympathy at HQ considering the current situation and what decisions they have made or put on our club in the past.

The Division Names are just that. At the end of the day it is community footy. Not sure if you have driven down or up the coast on a Saturday but not to many people would play if you had to do that every second weekend.

As far as I see it every club stays within great Brisbane apart from a trip to Gympie. I think for travel the competitions are spot on. If Alex Hills are making a decision as a club to head south that’s their decision, but I assure you it’s not on our radar.

Now we’re getting somewhere Freddy. I think we may have finally found the thorn in your claw that makes you a little grumpy on these forums.

I like the fact that you are at least agreeing that it was the AFLQ decision to bring in 4 clubs from Northern Rivers (BTW ever driven to Ballina?) is what made it difficult for the clubs in Brisbane southern suburbs?

What I still find funny is your suggestion still has the propping up of a Northside comp with clubs from the Southside, yet still argue Park Ridge is south.

And BTW I think Gympie do have a choice where they play. Haven’t they played Wide Bay previously? And haven’t they struggled to fill a 2nd team most years? I have no issue with Gympie and they showed some character last year with improved results but you can’t argue that Park Ridge brings travel but Gympie doesn’t.

Well since you put it that way and hark back to another previous weak decision and allowing Gympie back in.

End of the day no one anywhere considers Logan a northern outpost.

the other question is do they base it off the where the club is located, or the name of the club?

Kenmore is north of the river, but their playing field is south of the river!

Never understood why Sandgate are in Taigum, GRange are in Stafford, Sherwood are in Chelmer, Morningside are in Hawthorn and so on. Now Park Ridge are in Greenbank, but then they're not again!?

Thumbs up to the purist clubs like Yeronga and Jindalee who are actually located in the location their draw their name from!

Well since you put it that way and hark back to another previous weak decision and allowing Gympie back in.

End of the day no one anywhere considers Logan a northern outpost.

if you draw a line exactly halfway between Ballina and Gympie - where is halfway?

the other question is do they base it off the where the club is located, or the name of the club?

Kenmore is north of the river, but their playing field is south of the river!

Never understood why Sandgate are in Taigum, GRange are in Stafford, Sherwood are in Chelmer, Morningside are in Hawthorn and so on. Now Park Ridge are in Greenbank, but then they're not again!?

Thumbs up to the purist clubs like Yeronga and Jindalee who are actually located in the location their draw their name from!
Back in the day all the grounds were put on old dumps. So not in the actual burbs they were named for.

To be fair, and I'm not sure on the other clubs - but there has never been a time where Sherwood footy club has been based on Sherwood.

I think the name came from the fact that the initial teams back in the 50's all came from Sherwood state school kids, so even though they originally played in Graceville, they were known as Sherwood Districts. Then moved another suburb over in the 1970s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back