Quadruple double?

Remove this Banner Ad

The current members of the exclusive AFL Quadruple Double Club - 10 x Kicks/Handballs/Marks/Tackles in a game

Scott Thompson (Adelaide) - 24th May 2008 round 9 vs WCE : 17 kicks, 15 handballs, 10 marks 10 tackles
Joel Selwood (Geelong) - 25th July 2009 round 17 vs Hawthorn :19 Kicks, 23 Handballs, 10 marks and 11 tackles
Brent Stanton (Essendon) - 31st July 2011 round 19 vs Collingwood:22 kicks, 18 handballs, 10 marks, 10 tackles
Ben McGlynn (Sydney) - 19th April 2014 round 5 vs Fremantle:14 Kicks,10 Marks,10 Handballs,12 Tackles
Tom Rockliff (Brisbane) - 10th Aug 2014 Round 20 vs Adelaide:22 kicks, 18 handballs, 10 marks, 10 tackles
Corey Enright (Geelong) - 8th May 2015 round 6 vs Collingwood: 18 kicks,11 handballs,12 marks,11 tackles
Karl Amon (Port Adelaide) - 26th June 2022 Round 15 Vs Gold Coast: 16 Kicks, 10 Handballs, 10 Marks, 10 Tackles
Josh Dunkley (Brisbane) - 5th May 2023 Round 8 vc Carlton 22 Kicks, 11 Handballs, 11 Marks, 13 Tackles

Last edited:
A couple of near misses in that game too

Clayton with 12 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 marks, 10 tackles

Jarryd Lyons with 15 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks, 9 tackles

A couple of near misses in that game too

Clayton with 12 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 marks, 10 tackles

Jarryd Lyons with 15 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks, 9 tackles
What's the prorated versions with full quarters?

What's the prorated versions with full quarters?
Oliver: 15 kicks, 20 handballs, 6 marks, 12 tackles

Lyons: 19 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 marks, 11 tackles

If it was a full game Lyons surely could have collected a cheapie mark in the defensive 50

Another near miss today, Bontempelli with 18 kicks, 15 handballs, 6 marks, 9 tackles (plus 12 clearances and a couple of goals)

Thought you guys might enjoy this - it's the only time I've found where it's been done. That said... I haven't looked exhaustively.

The defensive triple-double.
10+ Intercepts
10+ One-percenters
10+ Rebound 50s.

I can only find one bloke that's ever been able to do it - Robbie Tarrant in Round 17, 2019
He had 14 intercepts, 11 one-percenters and 12 rebound 50 disposals.

Not that I expect it to catch on, or even spoke of ever again - just thought I'd share with you all because you seem to like weird stats as much as I do. If you find another who's done that, let me know!

Cheers

Most 'advanced' footy stats are secondary stats anyway. You can get points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals in basketball, they are all separate things. But you can't claim a triple double if you get 20 points and 10 rebounds and 10 of your points are free throws. Same as in footy if you kicked 10 goals you couldn't then claim 10 goals and 10 kicks as two separate categories.

Rebound 50s are a bit dodgy at the best of times. Not sure what you can replace them with though.
Tackles I guess is kind of a defensive stat that could fit. At least you arent trying to double up rebound 50's with kicks so its not a completely bad measure to look at for defenders.

Would be curious to see what Andrews has done in that triple. He's covered the spoils plenty of times but that many marks and rebounds is impressive

Tackles I guess is kind of a defensive stat that could fit. At least you arent trying to double up rebound 50's with kicks so its not a completely bad measure to look at for defenders.
While I agree in a vacuum, 10/10/10 including tackles would be nearly impossible to reach. Defenders don't rack up tackle numbers, midfielders do.

Would be curious to see what Andrews has done in that triple. He's covered the spoils plenty of times but that many marks and rebounds is impressive
Liam Ryan and Andrews both got 10/10 this last week but only 7 and 2 R50s respectively. I suspect the R50 will be the hardest to add because in general you usually need to be a tall defender for the first two but they'll usually give off to a quarterback-style player for the rebound, e.g. Daniel Rich. Andrews has only ever gotten up to 6 rebounds in a game.

Last edited:
Liam Ryan and Andrews both got 10/10 this last week but only 7 and 2 R50s respectively. I suspect the R50 will be the hardest to add because in general you usually need to be a tall defender for the first two but they'll usually give off to a quarterback-style player for the rebound, e.g. Daniel Rich. Andrews has only ever gotten up to 6 rebounds in a game.
Luke Ryan would be the next most likely after Tarrant. Both blokes excellent in the air but relied upon for their disposal as well.

Rampe could give it a shake next season as well.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele was miles off with marks but had a big one yesterday with the other options.

10 kicks, 15 handballs, 10 tackles (17 CPs, 7 score involvements).

With only 80 odd tackles laid for the game last night, I suspect it may be nigh impossible this year, barring an absolute slog of a wet game. Even then in the wet you'll struggle to get the mark numbers up.

Small sample size of one game, but will be interesting to see how this plays out for 2021

6 years and counting

The exclusive quadruple double club

Scott Thompson
(Adelaide) - 24 May 2008 round 9 vs WCE : 17 kicks, 15 handballs, 10 marks 10 tackles

Joel Selwood (Geelong) - 25 July 2009 round 17 vs Hawthorn :19 Kicks, 23 Handballs, 10 marks and 11 tackles

Brent Stanton (Essendon) - 31 July 2011 round 19 vs Collingwood:22 kicks, 18 handballs, 10 marks, 10 tackles

Ben McGlynn (Sydney) - 19 April 2014 round 5 vs Fremantle:14 Kicks,10 Marks,10 Handballs,12 Tackles

Tom Rockliff (Brisbane) - 10 Aug 2014 Round 20 vs Adelaide:22 kicks, 18 handballs, 10 marks, 10 tackles

Corey Enright (Geelong) - 8 May 2015 round 6 vs Collingwood: 18 kicks,11 handballs,12 marks,11 tackles

Last edited:
The Quadruple Double should be
10 Kicks
10 Handballs
10 Marks
10 Goals
Has that ever been done?
I don't think so. The problem is the handballs.

EDIT: Lethal was the only bloke I could think of who might've done it, so I looked some of his games up. I see he kicked 11 goals against the Bombers in a game in the 70s and had 41 touches. "This must be it", I thought.

Nope. He had 38 kicks and 3 handballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back