Preview R10: Changes v Pies, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

For anyone wanting broad based playing of youngsters that ain’t likely to happen this early in the season. Until the season is dead (for example lose to Pies, drop one of the following 3 “winnable games” and then lose to the Sydney teams, only then would I expect wholesale changes and blood 3-4 youngsters for the last 7-9 games. You would hope under this scenario, which unfortunately is the most realistic one, then Dowling, Taylor, Edwards and Ryan play as many games as possible.

This week with smallish Pies forward line I would just swap Mc Henry to Murphy and bring in Shoey for the injured Worrell. Hinge can play tall if needed (he smashed JC in the wet at The Cattery) and Curtin needs a few games to overcome obvious nerves and “inexperience” but let’s face facts - if Curtin didn’t play on Sunday we likely would have won giving up 4 goals in a half or two thirds of all Lions goals

It was difficult to tell on the telecast so..
Can anyone who was at the game Sunday arvo confirm exactly where Jordan Butts was lining up at centre bounces..

I swear on atleast a few occasions that just seconds after the centre bounce Jordan was in the play.. as if he had just run in off half back.

And even in normal game play he seemed to be playing much further up ground than usual..

Please tell me we didnt play butts as a half backman.. when his strength is FB.. and Curtin at FB when its clear to all and sundry that the lad has attacking running halfback/midfield written all over him… not dour defender.

If so.. can someone punch Nicks in that massive bald head for me..
Hipwood pushed up to some stoppages and Butts went with him, because we're largely bereft of smarts

He's has a few games back now in the sanfl & has been impressive according to reports.

Also, we should be looking to give the likes of Dowling, Taylor, Ryan & Edwards games soon.

Edwards seems a fair way off at this stage - the other 3 though could definitely be a chance at some point

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was difficult to tell on the telecast so..
Can anyone who was at the game Sunday arvo confirm exactly where Jordan Butts was lining up at centre bounces..

I swear on atleast a few occasions that just seconds after the centre bounce Jordan was in the play.. as if he had just run in off half back.

And even in normal game play he seemed to be playing much further up ground than usual..

Please tell me we didnt play butts as a half backman.. when his strength is FB.. and Curtin at FB when its clear to all and sundry that the lad has attacking running halfback/midfield written all over him… not dour defender.

If so.. can someone punch Nicks in that massive bald head for me..

Keane played full back on Daniher

Curtin played on Morris (18 yr old second gamer) and AhChee at times. Both kicked a couple of goals on him.

You have to match up on someone - and it wasn’t even like Brisbane played to his match up. He just seemed out of position when the ball came in his area - haven’t seen the replay yet but perhaps he was too focused on his man and not watching the ball and trying to win it - a bit reactive

Majority of goals in the first half were on him though

Curtin played on Morris (18 yr old second gamer) and AhChee at times. Both kicked a couple of goals on him.

You have to match up on someone - and it wasn’t even like Brisbane played to his match up. He just seemed out of position when the ball came in his area - haven’t seen the replay yet but perhaps he was too focused on his man and not watching the ball and trying to win it - a bit reactive

But where did butts play?..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will admit that I was keen for Curtin to get a run in the AFL but I did say that he was struggling defensively in the SANFL.

He struggled with the SANFL key forwards but he couldn’t keep up with the nippy small forwards. Imho, his ideal spot is the Worrell role and if he is fit I hope he plays there this week.

Curtin has played a couple of games in the under 18 championships as an inside mid, hardly a compelling argument to move him straight into the midfield. Has he ever played on the wing as some posters are suggesting?

Throwing Borlase in as a potential Worrell replacement makes me a bit nervous. Could get exposed big time with his lack of leg speed at the G.
We’re overcorrecting from the days where we were playing Doedee as second KPD, I fear

I have already stated Curtin needs to go back to SANFL but thats because the club wants to persist in playing Curtin in a set position. I would be more than happy to give him a go on the wing and see what he can do with a different set of restrictions. I want to see the youngsters get a chance. Would prefer to replace Mchenry with Curtin instead of Murphy.

Get ready for Lachlan Murphy to return and spud it up big time against the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back