Autopsy R12 Hawthorn Hawks v Gold Coast Suns @ MCG, Saturday 1.45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game last week and quite liked what I saw from Jack Martin but TBH at this stage of his career I think we're entitled to feel more than just "good effort" for a number 1 draft pick?Am I being too harsh?
I get the feeling he's doing what the MC wants , but I want him to dominate a match and take on the lines

They love us over on the Hawks "Death by Plastic" Game Autopsy thread. Dude's written a song in our honour with a last verse that reads...
"We are the Suns of the Gold Coast sky,
The Team that should just **** off and die"

Catchy... sounds better when we WIN!!!

:D:p

Makes the win that much sweeter seeing beating the Hawks twice in the space of 10 weeks. Only thing that would have made it better is the Coch and Mark Evans doing a lap of the ground after the game waving at the crowd. Would have been riots :D

Seriously their supporters are the worst losers in the league. Absolutely embarrassing some of the stuff I am seeing over the site. And their obsession with Cochrane is incredible.

Come on MrBods
We're still at the stage where players are introducing themselves to each other
We have an abysmal record away
Never won at the MCG
Hawthorn were never going to roll over
Lighten up

I think I read somewhere we have only ever won 12 or 13 games away from home in 7 years , we have to cherish these moments.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I read somewhere we have only ever won 12 or 13 games away from home in 7 years , we have to cherish these moments.

I am partying hard in the Beautiful City believe me.
It's just on the scale of bad wins, ok wins, good wins, great wins, drink till I spew wins.....
I call this one an OK Win.

I'm going to make myself pretty unpopular around here and actually agree with Mr Bobs.

I was at the game and while I'll take the win but it was very frustrating and we should have been 70 points up at 3QT. We were playing the Box Hill Hawks today and they were atrocious and we still couldn't put them away. If Ainsworth doesn't get that 50m penalty we are good chance to lose the unloseble game.

Positives

- Ablett was excellent today and stood out from all and sundry with his clean hands and great disposal
- Lyons is becoming a consistent contributor and works really well in tight
- Witts has turned our whole midfield around - he has elevated his game to be on the next tier down from Gawn/Grundy/Martin/Ryder which gives us an advantage in the ruck most weeks
- May was on fire early and held firm when we needed him at the end
- Barlow just keeps being the veteran leader we desperately needed
- Saad - OMG I love this guy - he saved our bacon so many times today with closing speed and desperate efforts when Hawks appeared out. He is a dead set legend
- Matera - was dangerous and took the chances he should of and missed some half chances - could have had another 6 goals against the Hawks today
- Wright - working his way into some decent form and kicked the much needed sealer again

Negatives

- Hall - If I hear another poster make excuses for this bloke I will choke to death on my own vomit. Some players are remembered their whole career for pulling out of 1 contest or ducking their heads (e.g. Josh Hunt, Daniel Rich), Hall pulled out of 3-4 contests in the 1st quarter alone (there was one where "he lost it in the sun" running back with the flight). He then made at least 3 turnovers that directly lead to goals to keep the Hawks in it when he would ignore players running past in better positions to get the glory himself. should be dropped like a bad habit but probably won't be.
- Lynch - played OK but just don't like the way he is being used and the delivery he is getting is still pretty poor. Maybe it's part of the team plan to attract the attention to get other players open

Be up to watch next week and if we are as wasteful as we were today we will probably lose against a well organised but inexperienced Carlton team.

Makes the win that much sweeter seeing beating the Hawks twice in the space of 10 weeks. Only thing that would have made it better is the Coch and Mark Evans doing a lap of the ground after the game waving at the crowd. Would have been riots :D

Seriously their supporters are the worst losers in the league. Absolutely embarrassing some of the stuff I am seeing over the site. And their obsession with Cochrane is incredible.

I've noticed that supporters of all Victorian clubs despise Cochrane if u read the comments attached to newspaper articles online.
He's really got under the skins of the Vics.
I love it.

I'm going to make myself pretty unpopular around here and actually agree with Mr Bobs.

I was at the game and while I'll take the win but it was very frustrating and we should have been 70 points up at 3QT. We were playing the Box Hill Hawks today and they were atrocious and we still couldn't put them away. If Ainsworth doesn't get that 50m penalty we are good chance to lose the unloseble game.

Positives

- Ablett was excellent today and stood out from all and sundry with his clean hands and great disposal
- Lyons is becoming a consistent contributor and works really well in tight
- Witts has turned our whole midfield around - he has elevated his game to be on the next tier down from Gawn/Grundy/Martin/Ryder which gives us an advantage in the ruck most weeks
- May was on fire early and held firm when we needed him at the end
- Barlow just keeps being the veteran leader we desperately needed
- Saad - OMG I love this guy - he saved our bacon so many times today with closing speed and desperate efforts when Hawks appeared out. He is a dead set legend
- Matera - was dangerous and took the chances he should of and missed some half chances - could have had another 6 goals against the Hawks today
- Wright - working his way into some decent form and kicked the much needed sealer again

Negatives

- Hall - If I hear another poster make excuses for this bloke I will choke to death on my own vomit. Some players are remembered their whole career for pulling out of 1 contest or ducking their heads (e.g. Josh Hunt, Daniel Rich), Hall pulled out of 3-4 contests in the 1st quarter alone (there was one where "he lost it in the sun" running back with the flight). He then made at least 3 turnovers that directly lead to goals to keep the Hawks in it when he would ignore players running past in better positions to get the glory himself. should be dropped like a bad habit but probably won't be.
- Lynch - played OK but just don't like the way he is being used and the delivery he is getting is still pretty poor. Maybe it's part of the team plan to attract the attention to get other players open

Be up to watch next week and if we are as wasteful as we were today we will probably lose against a well organised but inexperienced Carlton team.

I think you have to see it as it is , we are a average team ATM that has the potential to become a good team , so we are seeing really average stages of games with pockets of brilliance , it's not gonna click overnight but we are on the right track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the club function after the game

In summary:

- good crowd of around 300 - twice as big as last year
- Blighty was MC today
- Blighty interviewed Evans - finals very much in our sights, said in a radio interview before the game it might not be our last game on the MCG for the year, if we can get back to 6-6 then our finals destiny is in our own hands and could be the most exciting period that these players have had, happy with our new recruits, Blighty mentioned that in the mid 90s the Hawks had just as many members as we do now (12,000) so things are on the up
- The biggest roar was reserved for whenever Ben Ainsworth was mentioned - must have had 50 supporters down from Morwell down for the game who were at the function
- The Coch was there - didn't address the crowd
- Blighty interviewed Steve May & Pearce Hanley - Maysie explained how Tom and him split the coin tosses (FYI 2 week blocks so they each get the same amount of home & away games), no talk of contracts, Maysie was happy to have Hanley's experience down back to help organise the players today, Hanley loves it on the coast, loves the players and when asked said he was happy to play backline, Rocket gave the thumbs up when asked if he would be playing back next week
- Blighty did quick interview with Rocket - was happy to get the win, was very happy with Ainsworth's game today and finals are still very much the goal
- Jack Bowes dad was there even though Jack wasn't - Rocket was giving shouts out to him during his speech - I think he had been enjoying the the corporate hospitality today
- Brandon Matera had a moon boot on - I think I heard it was just precautionary as he had his foot stood on during the game
- Ablett had his own signing corner for all the kids coming up to him
- A lot of the player's family where there for the Vic & Tassie boys

Would Ah Chee come in? Or will he play NEAFL next week. Willis was pretty good but I feel he will lose his spot for Harbrow next week if Harbrow is back. As I am a supporter of both clubs if the Suns as said before don't show up, Carlton won't be a pushover and will push all night

Would Ah Chee come in? Or will he play NEAFL next week. Willis was pretty good but I feel he will lose his spot for Harbrow next week if Harbrow is back. As I am a supporter of both clubs if the Suns as said before don't show up, Carlton won't be a pushover and will push all night

Who will u be cheering for??

Winning away is critical since we have been so poor at it for so long. It doesn't matter whether we should have won it by more. The fact of the matter is, with all the mental demons our players have got playing away, just getting the W is the goal. It doesn't matter how the hell we do it. Just so long as it's done I don't care.

I agree that we were mostly poor today, but we still got the W. That is going to help. This time last year we would have lost that. The fact that we held on and pushed back was critical and showed great signs. Even if it was disappointing that we were in that situation to begin with.

For some reason we play about 30-40% worse when playing away, especially down in Melbourne. Dunno if it's because the prep is different, the media spotlight is infinitely greater or what, but it needs to be addressed. Winning games like that will start to help.

Mac out. McKenzie in IMO.

Greendogg will hate me for this but I think Harbrow comes straight back in for him. Willis is solid but he seems just a step slow which makes it difficult to close down players and to get that split second to get his disposal off well under pressure. Looked quicker in the Youtube video - must be a lot of slow players in the TFL.

Can do a job but with Harbrow on the verge of All-Australian honours I think it would be a clear cut decision.

I think I read from Rocket's post game presser that Ah Chee was very close and will probably come straight in next week

Just finished perusing the Hawks board.
A few things I took from it were.
1. The umpires were cheats and didn't pay every possible free kick.
2. Gary ablett is special and the umps won't dare touch him.
3. Gold Coast are a money grubbing club full of campaigners. With no excuse to be in the mighty VFL.
4. Hawthorn will win another premiership before gold Coast.
5. Gold Coast won't have ablett and may next year.
6. Gunston is a better player then tom Lynch ever will be.
7. Jaeger omeara will be back after our bye and everything will be alright.
8. Hartung is crap and should only play VFL. (thought he was supposed to be a quality player these blokes said during the omeara trade last year.)

Some real gold coming from that board. Obviously forgotten how to be graceful in defeat. Especially love the comments about omeara coming back in 2 weeks. I guess the crap coloured jumper of hawthorn reflects the crap that comes out of thier mouths.
;-)

The Suns and will be going for my first game at Metricon so am pumped. Hopefully it's not close haha

I've experienced that in the first few seasons was an Adelaide supporter. But found myself barracking more for the sun's in that first game. Don't know if it was underdog factor or coz I expected a higher quality of footy from Adelaide who weren't delivering that at the time. But a close game is the best type to test your loyalty you'll find it late when you realise who you'd rather win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back