AFL Autopsy R22: Power out

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the kind of end of year performance that gets your coach sacked. Not that I think he will but another one of them next week and who knows.

Richmond are going to tear us a new one.
Hope we get absolutely flogged......the more losses like this the better....someone at the club remotely interested might take notice and wake up...Sheedy and his team of players from the past can go too....Madden Wellman....and the rest.....this club is still living in past glory worried about breaking membership records.....

No one is expecting contending. No one expecting banking wins. But we are expecting guidance. Signs of tactical improvement. A level of consistency, win or loss.

And it better damn well come. Because if we are serious as a group, we wouldn't be expecting anything less. We don't run on faith, we run on legitimate in-roads that we can see with our very eyes. The moment you run on just faith, you lose buy-in from those who aren't stupid (for which I hope most aren't) and most importantly, you lose buy-in from the players.

No more of this "but but but the players" crap, they've played enough to buy.

Rutten better start selling. The honeymoon is over.

View attachment 1477276
I agree with all of that

You aren't often this pointed in your criticism of our performances.
I’ve held my tongue a fair bit this year 😂

I’d like to add that I’m not trying to pin this all on Rutten the whole coaching panel has struggled to get this team playing good football. There is a mixture of issues with both coaches and players from what I’ve seen and it came to the fold spectacularly today.

Agree that this isn't just a Rutten problem, it's also an attitude problem, a culture problem, a list problem and a high performance problem. You can't sack everyone, however being able to influence plays a massive role in leadership and getting the players up week in week out. Hope Ben can get his s**t together, but not sure I see it in him. Seems to have been in self preservation mode the last month.

Gotta love seeing Laverde and Kelly push up to the wings and have zero impact on the contest, letting the ball fly over their heads for an easy opposition mark inside 50. Our defensive structures are an absolute shambles. Anyone who says this isn't part of the gameplan are kidding themselves. They've been doing it all season (along with Ridley) and it's never worked.

Players couldn't be arsed today. Embarrassing performance. Zero workrate.

Merrett can't break a tag to save himself. Imagine a real leader like Touk Miller turning into a complete marshmallow just because he's getting tagged. Wouldn't happen. He'd still find a way to get 20+ touches, 8 clearances and 6 tackles. Merrett meanwhile just floats around doing not much of anything. Only turns up when he can run around getting cheap kicks. Not a leader's arsehole.

Parish's disposal is horrendous. McGrath's too. Stringer should be dropped. Ridley and BZT tried hard.

Merrett got 26, 4 and 3 so he almost got there... 😁

Disgusting effort across the park and in the box. You never want to put to much on a single game, good or bad, especially in a dead rubber; but some big questions need to be asked when we are finishing off a season with performances like that.

It's been said on and off for years that there's no soul at the EFC and games like today's seem to bear that out.
We didn't look close to AFL standard with our disposal and decision making - but the lack of effort, accountability, and resilience was devastating.

Someone around the club has to draw the line in the sand, say 'no more, and start holding the organisation to account. No idea who that could be (they're probably not at the club now), the sad thing is we're probably going to waste a lot of promising young player's careers getting to point where the minimum standard each week is the appropriate level because we are a long way off..

Anyone who thinks that structure is how they want to play has had limited exposure to coaching.
I can agree with the fact the coach lives and dies with his ability to sell the message and Truck is dying. They are not playing for him and it is a terrible look.
He is going to need an absolute miracle next year.

However it is not just the coach. This is a group of players who seem to never advance under any coaching if defensive plans are put in place. Has been going on for 15 years. Truck may need the boot but so do some senior players.

Call me what you want but 15 years of junior coaching and bits of recruiting along with watching other sides play live a lot forms my opinion.
I have seen first hand how different groups of players handle game plans as we had different groups come through every year. Some pick it up. Others do not.

It seems out guys do not want to know about defensive.
Truck is not an idiot. You do not hold defensive coach in a premiership team if you are an idiot. His issue is clearly buy in which is death as far as coaching goes. He has to wear the consequences and should pay the price.

But I stand by the fact that bad sides play bad footy and AFL coaches do not just have s**t game plans.

And so not get me started on leaders.
Listening to the cats game and commentators made comment about the way the cats play, which is completely unrecognisable from the previous few years.

Yes the cats are far more senior and better footballers, but it is like Scott just flicked a switch and away they've gone playing a vastly different style. If anything it should be harder for habits to be broken by an older side.

Got me thinking about how we are always in a transition phase towards "the way we want to play".

Conversely, there are those who stoically defend Rutten and his coaching. Then lump all blame on the players.

The answer is somewhere is in the middle, but ultimately the responsibility lies with the coach for the performances.
A loss like that is on everyone, bar none.

Demarcating blame between players an coaches for today is futile, every single person deserves all the flac the club will cop this week, with no sympathy or defence from its supporters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

I threw in the towel 5 mins before ht to get some house work done.

There’s never a guarantee with anything but if we get the right people developing our talent, this group has enough under 25 to be competing.
We haven’t had much success in getting the right people (includes players, coaches and admin) lately though. A lot of planets need to align.

We haven’t had much success in getting the right people (includes players, coaches and admin) lately though. A lot of planets need to align.
I'd argue we haven't had much success doing that for the last 20 years. And whenever we do get someone with a decent track record who you'd think should be able to make some positive changes we seem to Essington them

Beating the swans was my grand final this year.. so don’t care what happened today. That’s where this club is at and has been for 2 decades. I’m kinda shocked when I meet a really passionate fan. I can’t believe it now days. I feel like I don’t even enjoy watching the AFL anymore because of how s**t we have been. * it

Agree that this isn't just a Rutten problem, it's also an attitude problem, a culture problem, a list problem and a high performance problem. You can't sack everyone, however being able to influence plays a massive role in leadership and getting the players up week in week out. Hope Ben can get his s**t together, but not sure I see it in him. Seems to have been in self preservation mode the last month.
You can (in theory) sack pretty much all of them as long as the payouts don’t go over the salary cap.

It takes a special team to make Jeremy Finlayson look like a cross between Polly Farmer, Buddy Franklin and Jesus Christ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back