Autopsy R22 Review: Port 64-115 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

That last quarter was the players dropping their collective heads and having zero confidence in the system and coaches. Don't expect any sort of revival against Essendon. We're mentally cooked and Essendon will smell blood, especially knowing they have the wood on us. McDonald-Tipungwuti will run rings around us.

From a psychological point of view, the loss was understandable. The Adelaide and West Coast games brought to the surface long held player doubts about the gameplan imo. With the teams out there on the park, neither game should have been close. We should have won by comfortable 4-6 goal margins. Collingwood didn't win because they had better players on the park. On paper, the selected teams were roughly on par. Collingwood does have a far stronger system and when they smelled blood they went for the jugular as all good coached teams do. Our players are playing in a system they're not confident in and they're constantly trying to grind through brick wall where there's just no ability to break away and put scoreboard pressure on because the directive is to be defensive and strangle the opposition. That takes a heavy emotional toll and every player has their breaking point. The collapse was inevitable. That's on the coaches imo.

Keep in mind, this isn't about every player. Jonas never dropped his head. Ryder is a ******* champion for playing through obvious pain and still impacting. Westhoff played arguably his best game of the year in a career best season. Boak and Wines had 30 contested disposals between them. You just need enough players to drop their heads (players that should have been weeded out by now) and no matter how much individual brilliance you have, the group will fail.

I should have been spending my Sunday morning hearing excuses about Collingwood's injury toll causing them to lose instead of how fantastic they are at covering for their missing players.

Yet again selection screwed us over. Rockliff is obviously cooked for 2018. If you're going to drop an extractor, drop Rockliff and play SPP. Why only drop Bonner for 1 week but keep SPP out for 2? He's not going to learn anything in the SANFL and even as 2nd year player he wouldn't have dropped his head in the last.

As for Ken's response to questions about whether we are too defensive where he points to the score conceded, that has to be the motherload of cop outs. He knew the context of that question and he gave possibly the most dishonest answer imaginable. Angry campaigner Ken died at the end of 2014. This version is anathema to success.

To make matters worse (if possible) no representative from the coaches at the aftermatch. KT was there looking pretty gutted (as he should). Didn't offer anything noteworthy. The worse thing imho were the players that came back. Daniel Norton talked to DBJ. He said he was happy with his effort on Sidebottom in the 1st. Kept him to 3 possessions. When asked why he was moved in the 2nd he said he wasn't sure and that he had to play his role. Hombschy spoke with class as always and was pretty apologetic. Polly was there but didn't speak and poor Riley. Looked so upset. Played a bad game, I know that, but he's a young kid. Is that what we are into these days, humiliating our young players? Ken continually saying publicly Billy not ready despite our dire need for a ruck? Even mentioning our youngsters in the pressers. Why didn't you front up Ken? Too much pressure? Give me a freakin break.

I noticed it so many times yesterday, but it's been happening all year, but we are easier to read than a Dr Seuss book in packs.

I gave up counting how many times the Pies pinched and cleanly took away our handballs or got a hand in the way to disrupt our handball trying to clear a pack. Then there were the smothers.

I don't know if we are so easy to read but we don't seem to be able to do it to the oppo to the same extent.

We are not good enough any way, hope next week is our last game so the cracks don't get papered over.
Our system failed to score in a quarter against Carlton - let that sink in for a moment. I have zero faith in this group's ability to turn their form around this week: every person at the club has countless hours of soul searching ahead of them in the off season, because 2018 Port Adelaide was light years away from challenging for a premiership.

What was interesting was the first time that we’ve had some commentators - Gary Lyon and Nick Riewoldt - really get noticeably stuck into our conservative gameplan and how it limits our upside. Normally we fly under the radar in this regard as commentators either couldn’t give a flying * about us and/or do not possess the mental faculties to do so.

Can only be a good thing that the heat is brought onto what is essentially Nathan Bassett’s SANFL gameplan. It may have worked against a bunch of tradies and PE teachers, but it has proven not to stand up at the elite level.

We’re stuck with Ken, so if he has pride in his performance, reputation and legacy, he will develop a far more attacking inclined style next year. Sure, the stats may indicate that if you send 2 or more defenders you win more contests, but it doesn’t build any capacity in your players. You need more players who are capable and/or taught to win 1-on-1s, thus enabling a more potent structure around the ground.

I noticed it so many times yesterday, but it's been happening all year, but we are easier to read than a Dr Seuss book in packs.

I gave up counting how many times the Pies pinched and cleanly took away our handballs or got a hand in the way to disrupt our handball trying to clear a pack. Then there were the smothers.

I don't know if we are so easy to read but we don't seem to be able to do it to the oppo to the same extent.

Richmond set the benchmark for this. We are light years away. Collingwood have devised a similar game style and it appears to be paying off.

Our players aren’t skilled enough, fast enough or desperate enough to replicate.

I know I sound like a broken record but our skills are not up to scratch, I would go as far to say that Brisbane and Carlton are better skilled.

Kern needs to go and he can take Voss with him, our game plan sucks.

I said to my wife when we were leading in the first that we'd find a way to lose....I hate losing to those smug Collingwood campaigners too.
Mine turned to me and said ports winning why arnt u happy? Just said keep watching you will see soon enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our system failed to score in a quarter against Carlton - let that sink in for a moment. I have zero faith in this group's ability to turn their form around this week: every person at the club has countless hours of soul searching ahead of them in the off season, because 2018 Port Adelaide was light years away from challenging for a premiership.
Too right and I am worried for us next year, can't see turning around without a large clean out.

Robbie Gray has missed three crucial momentum killing set shots in the last two games, two of which were very simple ones. He's been around just as long as Boak and Hoff and longer than Ebert, and he's missed plenty of similar crucial set shots over that time. He is every bit a 'repeat offender'. Why is he excluded?

FishingRick04 would you like to field this one as well?

I’m happy to.

I agree with you. But if I said turf Robbie I’d viewed more harshly than saying Boak, Ebert and Westhoff.

To reiterate. As far as I’m concerned no one should be protected. Robbie is a great play and that’s st Kilda finish was amazing but I’d suggest those clutch moment success are less than his failures.

I just believe some experienced players need to be held to account and gone, who is anyone’s guess but if 2-4 were moved on, I wouldn’t shed a tear.

I look at it in a simple way. Players don't do the recruiting of players or selections for games, or devise the game plan, so it lies with the coaches and people running the show.
If Bonner or Ebert has a few bad games in a row, why do they select them to play, it's not the players fault if he's out of form and he gets selected to play.

I’m happy to.

I agree with you. But if I said turf Robbie I’d viewed more harshly than saying Boak, Ebert and Westhoff.

To reiterate. As far as I’m concerned no one should be protected. Robbie is a great play and that’s st Kilda finish was amazing but I’d suggest those clutch moment success are less than his failures.

I just believe some experienced players need to be held to account and gone, who is anyone’s guess but if 2-4 were moved on, I wouldn’t shed a tear.
Robbie has had chances to ice some games in the last few weeks and failed, he should be judged like any one else.

I was watching the game with RussellEbertHandball and we thought Ken was trying to pull some tricky s**t with Howard while Hombsch minded the Big Texan. Chocoesque and ultimately a fail.

But then why did he bring back Bonner who had no form and unbalanced the side again?

Why didn't he #playframpton?

Why am I asking rhetorical questions?
This.

I look at it in a simple way. Players don't do the recruiting of players or selections for games, or devise the game plan, so it lies with the coaches and people running the show.
If Bonner or Ebert has a few bad games in a row, why do they select them to play, it's not the players fault if he's out of form and he gets selected to play.

The options were Trengove, Toumpas or Frampton. None of whom appear to have a future.

Buckley was licking his chops seeing Ken decide to throw Westy in the ruck. Collingwood we’re ready to exploit the move and did. Too many times Collingwood were able to clear a congestion through set plays in the ruck with Grundy tapping the ball down the throat of mid moving with speed through a contest

Played right into their hands

To make matters worse (if possible) no representative from the coaches at the aftermatch. KT was there looking pretty gutted (as he should). Didn't offer anything noteworthy. The worse thing imho were the players that came back. Daniel Norton talked to DBJ. He said he was happy with his effort on Sidebottom in the 1st. Kept him to 3 possessions. When asked why he was moved in the 2nd he said he wasn't sure and that he had to play his role. Hombschy spoke with class as always and was pretty apologetic. Polly was there but didn't speak and poor Riley. Looked so upset. Played a bad game, I know that, but he's a young kid. Is that what we are into these days, humiliating our young players? Ken continually saying publicly Billy not ready despite our dire need for a ruck? Even mentioning our youngsters in the pressers. Why didn't you front up Ken? Too much pressure? Give me a freakin break.

Hang on are you telling me that NO coach NO Captain or NO vice captain fronted the Victorian supporters after the game?

you kidding me. after the diabolical showing against Essendon at Etihad when none of them turned up, .... after_this_critical season, career and coaching defining disintegration, our captain and vice captain sent others out to face the fans?

oh god I'm in shock even more shock than the performance.

I was hoping that the disintegration was the players telling the board that they won't support Ken. But it would appeat that is not the case. They're just selfish assholes the lot of them and full of themselves and they basically suck and are mentally weak and dont try hard enough

Robbie has had chances to ice some games in the last few weeks and failed, he should be judged like any one else.

If it was Rick Utopia I’d have Robbie in the Guts all the time, then it should be a problem!

Robbie Gray has missed three crucial momentum killing set shots in the last two games, two of which were very simple ones. He's been around just as long as Boak and Hoff and longer than Ebert, and he's missed plenty of similar crucial set shots over that time. He is every bit a 'repeat offender'. Why is he excluded?

FishingRick04 would you like to field this one as well?
Because Robbie has a s**t load of credits in the bank compared to the others.

The 3 crucial shots you talk about were all about 48m out when he kicked the ball, pretty much on Robbie's kicking limit. Robbie since his first game has struggled with set shots where he has to kick the ball over 40m. His iffy groin issues dont help.

I have bagged him for not kicking set shot goals from 25-35m straight in front or up to 45 degrees, and said in my eyes this stops him being judged as truly great. But the last season and a bit he has nearly eliminated those type of misses.

He took it upon himself to have the shots. Yesterday's was with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. So its not like it cost us the game.

At least he is getting shots on goal, unlike most of our other forwards who have struggled to get their hands on the ball and when they do they seem to want to handball it to a team mate.

I also think the umpires double standard with physicality and hold the ball time didn’t help us in the first half especially.
Thought we were blessed by the umpires in the first half, and that you looked threatening and capable of out-playing us for the full 120 minutes.

Umpiring in the third was nothing short of a joke though. It seems that this effect happens every bloody week - umpires go in at half time, are informed of the count and then deliberately go out to square it up in the third quarter. I’ve lost count of how many times umpiring has seemed to change drastically quarter to quarter in the favour of the team with the lower free kick count.

Hope you don’t mind the intrusion - felt you were hard done by and thought I’d share with you to see if it was something you had all noticed as a theme through the year too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back