Play Nice Rance Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Please respect the "Play Nice" status of this thread.

Whether or not you have "a valid point", nastiness and rumour-mongering will result in post deletions, thread bans, and warning points depending on the post and my mood at the time.

Love love love :kiss:

Enjoying your salty tears ..keep it up

Salty? We won the flag without him, yet you blokes finished where this year? Lol

What's going to be great, when clubs like the blues have a trade target next off season, but now we also have the cap space. I will love if both clubs target the same player, which club would the player choose?

Choice between consistently playing finals and contending or go to a club that is always "cooking something" lol

Bye Tross and thanks for the memories!

All the best for your future.

Not that he'll read this, but anyway...

No. Just wondering how Rance retiring opens up the flag market when they've already proven they can win one without him.
It only potentially weakens Richmond if they cop injuries to Grimes, Vlaustin, or Astbury.

He is a well spoken, intellectual human being and can perhaps see the writing on the wall so why bother continuing! Jack/Cotchin/Edwards/Houli haven’t got that much footy left in them.

No. Just wondering how Rance retiring opens up the flag market when they've already proven they can win one without him.

The overrating of Richmond's defence and defenders is mind boggling. They were good with Rance and good without. Now 3 of them are All Australians. It's not uncommon for teams to score quickly against Richmond or for forwards to kick big bags. Their game plan is built around the forward half. When that's up and going (as it is most of the time, they are a very good team) their defence is solid. If that breaks down then their defence is exposed and really not that special. See: Darling vs them last year, Cameron and Naughton this year.

The overrating of Richmond's defence and defenders is mind boggling. They were good with Rance and good without. Now 3 of them are All Australians. It's not uncommon for teams to score quickly against Richmond or for forwards to kick big bags. Their game plan is built around the forward half. When that's up and going (as it is most of the time, they are a very good team) their defence is solid. If that breaks down then their defence is exposed and really not that special. See: Darling vs them last year, Cameron and Naughton this year.

That goes for all sides though. If your team can't apply defensive pressure up the ground and your back half gets swarmed all defence will crack

Well done Alex for having the courage to adhere to your convictions and retiring early on your terms.

However, I'm sad to see a truly great player retire early.

I hope that when he's 50, and the end of the world for everyone except members of his JW religion didn't eventuate, he doesn't look back with regret and second guess this decision with "what ifs".

Stellar career by the Rancer, really disappointed he missed out on a second premiership. One of my favourite religious players of all time and will easily make the JW team of the century. His spoiling will prepare him well for the doorknocking ahead, he will be in line as one of the 144k for sure.

Rance will go down as one of the best defenders of the 2010s. He was an elite player who will be missed by Richmond, but I think that they'll be just fine without him. Their defence is pretty good even without him.

Yet last time Richmond played both West Coast and GWS, Richmond's overrated back line destroyed their forward lines

That goes for all sides though. If your team can't apply defensive pressure up the ground and your back half gets swarmed all defence will crack

Of course, no team can expect to control momentum all of the time. What you want from your defence is that when they are under siege they limit the damage. IMO Richmond are poor in this area. Mason Cox and Jordan De Goey did what they wanted in the 2018 prelim.

In our game in Rd 22 inside 50s were 62-44 but it finished 13.10 to 13.4 and marks inside 50 and contested marks were pretty even. We kicked 7 in the first quarter and 4 in 12 minutes in the last then 2 for the rest of the game. Richmond controlled more of the momentum (almost all of in Q2 and Q3) and we were able to slow the scoring to keep it tight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More midfield than defence I think - the clearance numbers for example are especially not great for a side with success. I'd also mention Cameron and Naughton had kids Balta and Garthwaite to contend with which really affected their game. I'd actually use Cox's vRichmond success as an example - consistent forward entries don't allow for proper resets and zoning, meaning that if Cox gets a run, he's going to have two hands to it because he's enormous. Tall power forwards (Jenkins has barbecued us twice in the last couple years, B.Brown in 2019) make the most of when our mids are off and there's really nothing our backs can do about it.

No. Please no. SOS and Scarlett are another level.
Rance isn’t close in terms of one on one. Smart interceptor sure. But he can be exploited. He’s just below them two for mine
Rance averaged 6.6 spoils a game for the decade but you're saying he is no good one on one.
Fitting of you to go the man but read my post again. I said deep in defence. No one is denying the impact he had further up the ground where he could run off and affect contests. When he was in his defensive goalsquare though under a high ball with an opponent he was shaky.
IMG_20191219_160631.jpg

Of course, no team can expect to control momentum all of the time. What you want from your defence is that when they are under siege they limit the damage. IMO Richmond are poor in this area. Mason Cox and Jordan De Goey did what they wanted in the 2018 prelim.

In our game in Rd 22 inside 50s were 62-44 but it finished 13.10 to 13.4 and marks inside 50 and contested marks were pretty even. We kicked 7 in the first quarter and 4 in 12 minutes in the last then 2 for the rest of the game. Richmond controlled more of the momentum (almost all of in Q2 and Q3) and we were able to slow the scoring to keep it tight.

Poor? In 2017 when we had our defenders all year we were top 2 for points conceded. After an adjustment period after rance went Down and also getting short back and a few others after the bye we conceded the 2nd least points of any side after the bye.

All team's have shockers, you just picked two,that does not make your point as I can easily do the same.

More midfield than defence I think - the clearance numbers for example are especially not great for a side with success. I'd also mention Cameron and Naughton had kids Balta and Garthwaite to contend with which really affected their game. I'd actually use Cox's vRichmond success as an example - consistent forward entries don't allow for proper resets and zoning, meaning that if Cox gets a run, he's going to have two hands to it because he's enormous. Tall power forwards (Jenkins has barbecued us twice in the last couple years, B.Brown in 2019) make the most of when our mids are off and there's really nothing our backs can do about it.

That's my point. If you need resets and zoning then your defenders aren't as good people think. If we could play every game on our terms then Jeremy McGovern would play like Josh Gibson 2.0 all the time but that's not how it works. If the ball is coming in fast and/or you have to compete one on one then it's your job to step up. Jordan De Goey could've kicked half a dozen in the 2018 GF if Will Schofield put his hands in the air and said "wasn't set, midfield is on top". It's a lot easier to zone off in a congested 50 than it is to play Franklin one out in space or wrestle one on one with Tom Hawkins in the goal square.

Good defenders have goals kicked on them. It's part of footy.

Yet "star" forwards Kennedy and Darling had no impact on the game

Maybe if the ball was there more...

Poor? In 2017 when we had our defenders all year we were top 2 for points conceded. After an adjustment period after rance went Down and also getting short back and a few others after the bye we conceded the 2nd least points of any side after the bye.

All team's have shockers, you just picked two,that does not make your point as I can easily do the same.

Points conceded reflects game plan and personnel. Richmond 1664 conceded without Rance, 1574 with. So Rance is worth 4 points per game. ZOMG! Hawthorn conceded fewer points than Richmond this season, do they have a better back 6?

All teams have shockers. I'm highlighting that Richmond's game plan starts forward of centre. If the defence doesn't concede goals when the ball isn't then fantastic, but when under pressure you'd like to think that a collection of AA defenders could stop a beanpole American that's played 40 games from taking 8 contested marks.

The worst era of defenders the game has ever seen in my opinion.

because they were brought through in systems were it was all about numbers in defense. Not too mention the hordes of cattle chasing the ball in the midfield basically meant the midfields delivery up forward is mostly floating blind bombs towards goals or wide kicks to the boundary.

from a port fans perspective I’ve seen some just okay footballers turn out monster afl record type performances basically off the back of hinkleys gameplan of isolating one of Sam Gray , Robbie gray or wingard up forward and bombing it blindly (never to their advantage) while 3 zoned off defenders circle their opponent like vultures.

rance had the amazing fortune of having the right skillset and being in the perfect place at the perfect time.
And yet Port hast kicked a winning score in a final that mattered fot what, 15 years?

Sad to see him retire, would have had another 2 or 3 good years in him but as they say, go out on top.

From a guy who was mediocre to turn his career into what he did shows a lot about his character and determination.

It will be nice to not have him line up against us this year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back