Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spose he’s a hypocrite then, which is way worse imo.
Or he can put aside his own personal views for the greater public good or the good of the party or political survival, as almost all politicians do. Not hypocrisy, as he hasn't gone against his views, he's just not pursuing them with any great vigor in the political arena.

He’s politicising his religion as seen in Hoj’s post.
Largely this:
Why would anyone seriously entertain Morrison & religion by anything other than career purposes?

He's too ****ing smart to actually believe that bullsh*t.

You can keep going VK, but I'm clocking out on this debate. Religion, politics and gay marriage are all topics I have, unfortunately, covered to death across multiple threads.

He’s politicising his religion as seen in in Hoj’s post.

Can you give specific examples on how this has affected his policy agenda? Otherwise you're letting your own secular views impact your take on the whole thing, which is literally just a Christian bloke wanting prayer.

Can you give specific examples on how this has affected his policy agenda? Otherwise you're letting your own secular views impact your take on the whole thing, which is literally just a Christian bloke wanting prayer.

He's about as christian as my utensil.

I don’t believe someone can be pious and not let it effect their decision making.

Unless you can specifically point out where it has impacted his decision-making as a politician, that's just an opinion without much basis.

Some of the decisions he made as an immigration minister weren't exactly very Christian, for example.

Yet:
While abstaining could be interpreted as fence-sitting on a controversial issue, many MPs have explained they chose to forgo their votes to try and accommodate both their personal views on same-sex marriage and the clear majority "yes" vote in the postal survey.
Don't agree with this at all, mate. When they're in Parliament, MPs are first and foremost representatives of their electorate and then the nation. Not 100% sure about Morrison's electorate, but I know Abbott's at the time voted overwhelmingly yes in the plebiscite. As a result, it should have been incumbent on him to vote yes, no matter his personal preference. Abstaining is just a cowardly abdication of their responsibility.

There's space for their personal views to be reflected in how they vote personally in the plebiscite, but it shouldn't be an influence on how they fulfill their duties as an elected representative.

Don't agree with this at all, mate. When they're in Parliament, MPs are first and foremost representatives of their electorate and then the nation. Not 100% sure about Morrison's electorate, but I know Abbott's at the time voted overwhelmingly yes in the plebiscite. As a result, it should have been incumbent on him to vote yes, no matter his personal preference. Abstaining is just a cowardly abdication of their responsibility.

There's space for their personal views to be reflected in how they vote personally in the plebiscite, but it shouldn't be an influence on how they fulfill their duties as an elected representative.
Somewhat disagree.

There have been countless federal bills that have put national (and partisan) interests ahead of individual electoral concerns, the gay marriage one was one of these. It was in the national interest of the people to pass the gay marriage bill after the postal vote results, and rather than stand in the way of that bill, the individuals that opposed it abstained in the greater national interest (abstaining is better than voting no at least). You can call it cowardly, or embellishing personal preferences, etc., but at the end of the day, most people will remember that it was a Liberal, not an ALP, government that enabled gay marriage in Australia.

Last edited:

It's a harder one than it seems though, when you put the shoe on the other foot.

If I was an MHR for an electorate that voted No, do I owe it to my constituents to uphold their beliefs and change my planned Yes vote? I certainly couldn't in my conscience vote No, so I think I would either have to defy my constituency or abstain.

Pretty much the same decision those backwards campaigners had to make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke got on my tram with a Roos beanie on. Must be a sign for a good result this weekend.

Bloke got on my tram with a Roos cap on. We're gonna win by 100 points now.

I’m not sure who amuses me more, Trump or AOC. Those two were meant for each other...

I find it fascinating how Trump is constantly portrayed as an incompetent buffoon, yet the people who could not overcome him remain relatively anonymous.

Denial is the true curse of contemporary liberalism.

I find it fascinating how Trump is constantly portrayed as an incompetent buffoon, yet the people who could not overcome him remain relatively anonymous.

Denial is the true curse of contemporary liberalism.
He’s the ultimate troll.

He’s the ultimate troll.

Yes, but what does that tell you about how pathetic the alternative must be?

This is the REAL story, that gets little to no attention.

Yes, but what does that tell you about how pathetic the alternative must be?

This is the REAL story, that gets little to no attention.
The worst thing is, so many of them play his game as well as double down on the identity politics stuff. The ongoing stuff between Pelosi and AOC is some of the funniest twitter I have ever read.

If they kept everything strictly policy-based, the democrats will be much better off.

Liberal politics requires a MASSIVE enema, before it can move forward.

I have doubts as to whether they can achieve it.
Exactly. I don't think so either. Peterson said it in 2016 during that fiasco that brought him forth into the limelight. They will begin to eat each other. Like we are seeing with Pelosi and AOC now. Like we have seen with radical feminists that bring in other issues casting out the older feminists. Like we are seeing from time to time in western areas when muslims and the topic of homosexuality arises.

The democratic debates were one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Speaking in Spanish to one up each other. Trying to out point and show that they care the most. Complete lunacy.

A prime example is what happened to Cassie Jaye. She was seen as a darling and the next big thing and then they threw her under the bus as soon as she didn't follow the narrative.

they just assume everybody wants to be like them. It's like they think they're God's gift. It just doesn't ever occur to them that it could be otherwise.
On the flip side don't assume that there are others that don't admire certain attributes about their country and Trump.

Being proud and loving your country is a positive thing. He wants to put US first.

I know it's the done thing these days to shoot down any male that shows some actual confidence but showing strength and leadership is better than having the meekness of a wet lettuce leaf.

Hard to be objective when you're not from the US and you're a feminist with strong progressive viewpoints. Anything Trump does is going to automatically make your eye twitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back