Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
couldn't agree more with everything said except the old white dudes comment. its racist, should be called out as such and the reality is very different. there's literally no difference between the "boat people" argument from the far right and the "old crusty white dudes" argument from the super woke on the left. it's the same old xenophobic crap. create a stereotype and blame all our woes on that. creates nothing but division and moves the argument away from the actual challenges we are facing. like somehow it's easily fixed by removing one demographic in society. do people really think things will get better when the "old white dudes" cark it? i don't. then who do we blame it on... maybe we should just blame everything on the old. what happens when you're old trav? when everyone starts blaming you. everythings ok with that stuff until they point the finger at the demographic you are part of.

its not old white dudes holding back advancement in this country. its literally across all demographics. white & black and everything in between. it's not bound by gender or religion. its the mind set of an entire nation. my brother in laws are in their late 20s and think any kind of technology is a load of **** and will never work out. i've copped countless roastings for working in IT. they just don't see it. this is a view shared by some of my friends and acquaintances. the harsh reality is a lot of people in this country have a view of what it should be that was formed 50 years ago. it's well ingrained within the generations that have come through. bring up automation and they get this blank look followed by an arrogant "this blokes an idiot" look. they don't get what's coming. they don't get that automation will be to the labor workforce that the excavator was to the shovel. i have a family friend who's a courier driver, doesn't believe in climate change, doesn't believe in electric vehicles and cannot see what's coming in terms of how automation will basically make him obsolete. he's not a boomer. i have another friend, a lady, who was banging on about her new great job, driving trucks up north. pays really well, so much better than IT. in fact the rest of us should do it too, BHP are offering apprenticeships. again doesn't see what's coming.

then you speak to them about the value of education. they laugh at it. teachers are idiots. university is a joke. etc. i've heard that view from people in their 20s all the way up to boomers.

as you said very well there's very little difference between the two major parties. one can be seen as being slightly more supportive but it's still very much the same old. especially when talking about technology. yet they're the two options we have for changing direction. a small 5% shift. if that. in the same direction. the election results will just make that gap smaller now. the approach from labor will now be to be as close to the libs on literally everything and get in by default because the libs have been there so long. they will not even try to implement some taxation tweaks or try the slightest tweak to the transition we are already having to renewable's.

i pray for the day we get a major centrist party as an alternative to labor and liberal, that's not made up of whacks jobs.
look you are right i personally have issue with certain old white dudes who are what i identify as the root of all evil .. it certainly is not just old white dudes and its most certainly isnt all old white dudes .. perhaps my language is incorrect in that light ... ill cop the lable i am agist ... i am totally ready for the boomers in politics to go off into the sunset i look at that generation of politicians and feel the longer they hold on the longer we delay making changes.. the fact young adults make up such a large % of our population the fact they have such a small representation in politics is a concern ... talking to a first time voter yesterday he said he honestly had no idea who to vote for as none of the candidates represented him , in his electroate he had a choice of in his words " old guy , and older guy , a crazy looking old guy, some dude from one nation"

Oh and all this we consider businesses evil is the biggest load of BS.

No one is anti business.

I'd suggest people are against businesses who rip us off by using dodgy tax practices to rob the country of it's rightful share of income.

I have been actively involved in business and politics for over 30 years...

In all that time, all I have ever heard from business is whingeing. Tax too high. Wages too high, inflation too high blah blah blah.

I reckon they would pay zero tax and third world wages and still complain.

If their rhetoric about creating a climate where they can employ more workers were true, unemployment would be lower and wages would be growing, but for all the growth in profits, they ain't hiring.

We have had almost 30 years of continuous growth and strong corporate earnings. Yet they still cry poor.

Support the solid citizens, and screw the rouge operators.

And as for those who run a business and go broke? Bad luck. You roll the dice, you pay the price. Happens to all of us, myself included.

In business, in stocks, in housing it has never been carved in stone that you are entitled to win every time.

I sometimes think we need a recession to shake out the rubbish and reset. Then again it's always the workers and their families that cop the brunt of it, whilst the spivs retire to tax havens.

As for the argument that it's too expensive to build energy infrastructure... I'm sure they would have said that about the Snowy project as well.

The NBN is farce. Pulling out stats that the USA is better is rubbish.

Doesn't matter. It's what serves us as a nation and allows productivity to improve in a global sphere that matters.

All I'm seeing are excuses as to why we shouldn't do something instead of reasons why we should.

The world is advancing around us and it's easy to pull articles that suit our biases. But that doesn't stop global momentum.

Do nothing, get left behind. People lamenting the status quo had best strap themselves in because if we do nothing, we will become a third world country in no time.

Greatest country in the world IMO, and I've done plenty of travel.

But that doesn't mean we should remain complacent and not strive to be the best we can be.

Last edited:
Here's a few ideas...

Firstly we as a society need to decide if we want to go down the USA model of user pays or a Scandinavian style of social democracy where you are happy to pay tax because you actually see the benefits of his it is spent.

Secondly, given our relatively small.population, we are over governed with 3 levels of government. What a waste of money and duplication.

Thirdly, reduce the size of state governments and create national policies.

Fourthly, Federal gov to look after health and education thereby ending the blame game.

Fifthly, set up a government essential service authority and take back control over power, water etc.

Government isn't a business and isn't there to make a profit.

that's just start...

And Lobbyists piss them off

In Washington there are 70 Lobbyists for every politician , we are heading that way here.

Will it happen no chance ..self interest

Last edited:

couldn't agree more with everything said except the old white dudes comment. its racist, should be called out as such and the reality is very different. there's literally no difference between the "boat people" argument from the far right and the "old crusty white dudes" argument from the super woke on the left. it's the same old xenophobic crap. create a stereotype and blame all our woes on that. creates nothing but division and moves the argument away from the actual challenges we are facing. like somehow it's easily fixed by removing one demographic in society. do people really think things will get better when the "old white dudes" cark it? i don't. then who do we blame it on... maybe we should just blame everything on the old. what happens when you're old trav? when everyone starts blaming you. everythings ok with that stuff until they point the finger at the demographic you are part of.

its not old white dudes holding back advancement in this country. its literally across all demographics. white & black and everything in between. it's not bound by gender or religion. its the mind set of an entire nation. my brother in laws are in their late 20s and think any kind of technology is a load of **** and will never work out. i've copped countless roastings for working in IT. they just don't see it. this is a view shared by some of my friends and acquaintances. the harsh reality is a lot of people in this country have a view of what it should be that was formed 50 years ago. it's well ingrained within the generations that have come through. bring up automation and they get this blank look followed by an arrogant "this blokes an idiot" look. they don't get what's coming. they don't get that automation will be to the labor workforce that the excavator was to the shovel. i have a family friend who's a courier driver, doesn't believe in climate change, doesn't believe in electric vehicles and cannot see what's coming in terms of how automation will basically make him obsolete. he's not a boomer. i have another friend, a lady, who was banging on about her new great job, driving trucks up north. pays really well, so much better than IT. in fact the rest of us should do it too, BHP are offering apprenticeships. again doesn't see what's coming.

then you speak to them about the value of education. they laugh at it. teachers are idiots. university is a joke. etc. i've heard that view from people in their 20s all the way up to boomers.

as you said very well there's very little difference between the two major parties. one can be seen as being slightly more supportive but it's still very much the same old. especially when talking about technology. yet they're the two options we have for changing direction. a small 5% shift. if that. in the same direction. the election results will just make that gap smaller now. the approach from labor will now be to be as close to the libs on literally everything and get in by default because the libs have been there so long. they will not even try to implement some taxation tweaks or try the slightest tweak to the transition we are already having to renewable's.

i pray for the day we get a major centrist party as an alternative to labor and liberal, that's not made up of whacks jobs.
Great post mate. Well said and articulated.

Unfortunately praying will do jack s**t for us.

Change has to come from the people. Problem is the elites work overtime to keep us divided and therefore benign.

Nothing scares them more than an organised populace enforcing change.

So they demonise and pit one group against the other... Keeping punters in fear and divided.

And topping it all is the fact that you can't fix stupid.

They are really s**t scared of the property market properly collapsing and sending us into a localised GFC arent they. Problem is, this s**t just pushes it out further and further like every other measure the governments have introduced (both sides are guilty) but the risk of it actually popping still remains.

Im literally trying to buy a home at the moment and although the prices are already much better then a year ago I worry they will implode in short order and ill join the great magnitude of ****ed Australian middle classers in this country.

They are really **** scared of the property market properly collapsing and sending us into a localised GFC arent they. Problem is, this **** just pushes it out further and further like every other measure the governments have introduced (both sides are guilty) but the risk of it actually popping still remains.

Im literally trying to buy a home at the moment and although the prices are already much better then a year ago I worry they will implode in short order and ill join the great magnitude of ****** Australian middle classers in this country.
You've obviously spent too much on avo on toast mate.
JK. System is ****ed.

They are really **** scared of the property market properly collapsing and sending us into a localised GFC arent they. Problem is, this **** just pushes it out further and further like every other measure the governments have introduced (both sides are guilty) but the risk of it actually popping still remains.

Im literally trying to buy a home at the moment and although the prices are already much better then a year ago I worry they will implode in short order and ill join the great magnitude of ****** Australian middle classers in this country.
Apparently it's OK to give up tax payer money to help first home buyers, which is self defeating because more demand pushes up prices anyway.

However, to change negative gearing so that it directs capital into new housing and therefore stimulating job growth is evil...

Go figure.

Apparently it's OK to give up tax payer money to help first home buyers, which is self defeating because more demand pushes up prices anyway.

However, to change negative gearing so that it directs capital into new housing and therefore stimulating job growth is evil...

Go figure.

its scary. that coupled with the opening up of lending. first home buyers are going to over leverage and just inflate each others buy price.

it'll be great for existing home owners. bad for first home buyers.

I get heckled for holding this view being a real estate agent, but rent mate. Sink your money into index funds or investments of the like. 1. You retain flexibility, 2. You won’t fall off the cliff with plenty of others.

Of course there’s plenty of ways to skin a cat, but real estate is still made out to be the holy grail in this country, we kinda just do it because “it’s the right thing to do”

This came out last night, some interesting viewpoints

No mate , what I get angry about is the blatant waste of money Governments from all over the world .
Unfortunately the petty arguments should be all put aside , if there is a good idea be it for the betterment
of the country forget this Liberal Vs Labor crap do it .

We wont never will .

Just me use some examples I would’ve liked to happen..

Huawei should have them competing with Telstra for 5G ... network the whole country forget the spying crap
everyone needs to wake up , self interest is at work .

Australia should have purchased the Russian aircraft for its defence , rather than a half baked job the Yanks
were offering , we didn’t do it , self interest is at work.

Rather than farming like we’ve done for 100 years , degrading the continent, it’s rivers , it’s remaining rain forest.
We flood the Oceans with plastic , could have (should have ) our own recycling industries the technology is
there , all the trains , trams should be have been solar 20 years ago , been fortunate to travel the World .
These are all sustainable long term industries, we should be the food bowl of Asia , growing stuff they want as
Asian varieties of vegetables, we don’t only small amount, no vision .
We allow massive amounts of water to flow back into the Ocean rather capturing it , turning it to Hydro power
and rehydration of the land , sending it South.
All human waste disposal, should have been sent inland for soil regeneration, huge tracts of land reforestation .

China is going to be number 1, go to Africa , India they are on the ground there huge.

We don’t do it , why ? self interest keep the minions subservient.
Don't disagree.
We are missing a massive opportunity re: Asia.
Living in HK, can tell you that "Brand Australia" could be a premium brand based on a clean, organic alternative.
The Kiwis & Canadians do a great job of it, we sadly do not.
Needs to be other options to break monopoly holds in industries across essential services - teleco being one of them.
There is reason to be concerned about security around Huawei though - the tech carries backdoors and they are a centrepiece of the Chinese Govt 2025 initiative including the belt & road project which is designed to develop Chinese economic and strategic hegemony. It is not just hyperbol, all Chinese multinationals are part of the central government political apparatus.
I'll stop there before I get a knock at the door.

Last edited:
I get heckled for holding this view being a real estate agent, but rent mate. Sink your money into index funds or investments of the like. 1. You retain flexibility, 2. You won’t fall off the cliff with plenty of others.

Of course there’s plenty of ways to skin a cat, but real estate is still made out to be the holy grail in this country, we kinda just do it because “it’s the right thing to do”

i think you need a mix

i chose to pour the money i was paying into rent into an asset, given i'm gonna have to pay for something to live in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carbon tax /carbon credit in our domesic situation is nonsense.
Its a global phenomenon.
Any such system needs to somehow include a carbon count for exports, and a carbon count for imports.
BUt how do we know if the company that made your new widget used solar energy or coal? How do we know how efficient the ship was.

( SHips make more greenhouse gas than all of australia ).

The world needs to agree on some kind of guidelines that force businesses where ever the good are produced to follow the rules. We are a global economy with a local interest. Some have sent jobs off shore because it's cheap. Making the developing world to have environmental standards would be good for them as well but also mean there was a more level playing field for manufacturing jobs.

Agreed. But I think a lot of people mistake their primary residence as an investment/asset, not always the case.

totally agree with that

for me its not so much seen as the investment that will give me the greatest return, more a way to reduce costs and to give me a solid footing to retire on. i'd hate to be 70 retired, no ability to work again, renting and then bang we go through the property boom we had here in perth that resulted in a rental shortage and record rents.

where as if i buy, i should have my principle residence paid off, rent free. yes you pay rates, repair costs etc. but you are less vulnerable to property spikes. i also can liquidate the asset for cash or borrow leveraging the equity.

totally agree with that

for me its not so much seen as the investment that will give me the greatest return, more a way to reduce costs and to give me a solid footing to retire on. i'd hate to be 70 retired, no ability to work again, renting and then bang we go through the property boom we had here in perth that resulted in a rental shortage and record rents.

where as if i buy, i should have my principle residence paid off, rent free. yes you pay rates, repair costs etc. but you are less vulnerable to property spikes. i also can liquidate the asset for cash or borrow leveraging the equity.

Agree 100%, makes total sense in your scenario.
I guess I’m more alluding to those that still follow the tired line of “property doubles every 7-10 years”, or those who jump in (often young) to shite areas just to say they “own” a house, because that’s the done thing.
We here in WA haven’t had the recent parabolic rise like the east has either, so aren’t as at risk of the eventual pullback

Agree 100%, makes total sense in your scenario.
I guess I’m more alluding to those that still follow the tired line of “property doubles every 7-10 years”, or those who jump in (often young) to shite areas just to say they “own” a house, because that’s the done thing.
We here in WA haven’t had the recent parabolic rise like the east has either, so aren’t as at risk of the eventual pullback

see where ya coming from, i have family members who bought up the land and house packages during the boom. the equity is gone. they'd love to move, but can't

Particularly Apartments worry me as an investment.
If you owned an old house in a suburb with 1/4 acre its a goldmine for flats to be built on now.
Apartments will get older and crappier as time goes by, complete with cheap cladding, and in the end you won't own a hell of a lot, you'll be the slumlord.

Yes I rent as well at this stage.

Assets produce income. Own homes are a liability.

People don't factor the total interest on their mortgage over the 30 odd years and they pay mainly interest in the first 15 - 20 years.

So the house has to gain in value over and above the non deductible interest, rates and depreciation.

How's the market over there?

The world needs to agree on some kind of guidelines that force businesses where ever the good are produced to follow the rules. We are a global economy with a local interest. Some have sent jobs off shore because it's cheap. Making the developing world to have environmental standards would be good for them as well but also mean there was a more level playing field for manufacturing jobs.

It used to irk me that Momentum would advertise their "green" Hydro , electricity in Victoria. ( There would be more except the environmentalists blocked the Franklin ). The bass link is tiny and all the electricity flows one way. They were simply not selling hydro in Victoria.
So getting back to your suggestion, yeah absolutely, but its going to be really hard to establish which items have how many black balloons.
Shipping for example, it would be pot luck whether you got a nice new efficient ship or a crappy old 2 stroke.

I HATE natural gas liquification.
We can't burn coal, we don't want to burn gas, but we think its OK to shove a tonne of energy (from coal or gas ) to refrigerate the gas until its liquid, then put it in a boat to someplace. I guess we end up with a total system that's nearly as bad as burning coal.
"Its OK girls and boys , we aren't burning it , so our emissions per capita are fine. " ( I'm sure those foreigners who are buying it won't burn it either ).

AGL want to liquefy gas to ship it to Victoria.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-24/why-victoria-is-facing-gas-shortage/10798554
Yes Victoria exported a heap of gas and used it all up.

I haven't done the math, but i'm thinking we might as well use coal as go down that path.

Oh and all this we consider businesses evil is the biggest load of BS.

No one is anti business.

I'd suggest people are against businesses who rip us off by using dodgy tax practices to rob the country of it's rightful share of income.

I have been actively involved in business and politics for over 30 years...

In all that time, all I have ever heard from business is whingeing. Tax too high. Wages too high, inflation too high blah blah blah.

I reckon they would pay zero tax and third world wages and still complain.

If their rhetoric about creating a climate where they can employ more workers were true, unemployment would be lower and wages would be growing, but for all the growth in profits, they ain't hiring.

We have had almost 30 years of continuous growth and strong corporate earnings. Yet they still cry poor.

Support the solid citizens, and screw the rouge operators.

And as for those who run a business and go broke? Bad luck. You roll the dice, you pay the price. Happens to all of us, myself included.

In business, in stocks, in housing it has never been carved in stone that you are entitled to win every time.

I sometimes think we need a recession to shake out the rubbish and reset. Then again it's always the workers and their families that cop the brunt of it, whilst the spivs retire to tax havens.

As for the argument that it's too expensive to build energy infrastructure... I'm sure they would have said that about the Snowy project as well.

The NBN is farce. Pulling out stats that the USA is better is rubbish.

Doesn't matter. It's what serves us as a nation and allows productivity to improve in a global sphere that matters.

All I'm seeing are excuses as to why we shouldn't do something instead of reasons why we should.

The world is advancing around us and it's easy to pull articles that suit our biases. But that doesn't stop global momentum.

Do nothing, get left behind. People lamenting the status quo had best strap themselves in because if we do nothing, we will become a third world country in no time.

Greatest country in the world IMO, and I've done plenty of travel.

But that doesn't mean we should remain complacent and not strive to be the best we can be.

You pull money out of you hat for all this stuff VDS . Its clear that you think the government coffers are endless.

Just one example of what Australian law allows.

Australian Company sells product to overseas company.
Overseas company declares bankruptcy and therefore reneges on money owed to creditors.
Australian company goes into receivership due to unpaid debts.
Overseas company comes out of Bankruptcy, and without having to pay any written off debts purchases Australian company from Receivers.

This has happened.

We simply don't have a lot of big companies.

We have Miners, Banks and Retailers and local subsidiaries of corporations from overseas. (channelling as much home as they can ).

Why don't we have big corporations?
We have never motivated them to be here.

You pull money out of you hat for all this stuff VDS . Its clear that you think the government coffers are endless.

Overseas company declares bankruptcy and therefore reneges on money owed to creditors.
Overseas company comes out of Bankruptcy, and without having to pay any written off debts purchases Australian company from Receivers.

This has happened.

We have Miners, Banks and Retailers and local subsidiaries of corporations from overseas. (channelling as much home as they can ).

I think that's more of a symptom of the way we were a more socialist democratic system so the big corporations weren't as attracted as they are to cheap labour and easy regulations. Mega corporations are not great things really. They are inflexible and usually have poor records in the way they treat workers and the environment because decision makers are so removed from the reality of their operations.

The way we were set up post war was fantastic, we had publicly owned cheap power, communications and banks. The people had plenty of work and by the 1970s the living standard was very high here. A couple of years of median wages bought you the median house. people worked and up dated the car every 5 years, people bought boats and caravans and had leisure time. No one realised how good they had it. Slowly the standard of living for the working and middle classes has diminished.

Definitely on things like mines, companies have branches that go broke before clean up money has to be paid out then it's left to the people to pay for it.

Believe me Ive gone back and forth on this a few times. The big issue I have is that renting vs owning is only marginally cheaper week to week anyway and owning at least does end up resulting in owning an asset you can live in during retirement. My mother has always rented and never owned due to not working most of her life (single with kids) and I worry about her when she does retire from her current job.

I think that's more of a symptom of the way we were a more socialist democratic system so the big corporations weren't as attracted as they are to cheap labour and easy regulations. Mega corporations are not great things really. They are inflexible and usually have poor records in the way they treat workers and the environment because decision makers are so removed from the reality of their operations.

The way we were set up post war was fantastic, we had publicly owned cheap power, communications and banks. The people had plenty of work and by the 1970s the living standard was very high here. A couple of years of median wages bought you the median house. people worked and up dated the car every 5 years, people bought boats and caravans and had leisure time. No one realised how good they had it. Slowly the standard of living for the working and middle classes has diminished.

Definitely on things like mines, companies have branches that go broke before clean up money has to be paid out then it's left to the people to pay for it.
Megacorps are driven by share value and don't care about what it takes to increase the bottom line because they are run by bean counters and not entrepreneurs as such.

I have just witnessed this first hand with the UK board pulling the rug from us on order to shore up their share price overseas.

So peeps please forgive me if I carry a chip against big biz.

The truth is they don't give a rats about their workers when it comes to incrrasing ROI for the shareholders.

Take your big 4 banks. Despite obscene profits they continue to shed jobs.

So who wants to argue the case for more corporate tax cuts and cheaper wages being beneficial for the masses?

Bring it on...

This has happened.

Who said coffers are endless?

Stop putting words on my mouth and stop peddling the right wing propaganda that we can't afford things.

How about we re prioritize how we spend taxes?

How about governments borrow to fund infrastructure that returns a dividend?

How about closing tax loopholes so that companies pay their fair share?

You know, like cutting out middle class welfare and franking credit handouts.

Oh wait... You voted for the incumbent didn't you.

Frankly I request that you stop being selective when responding to me.

How about you answer the previous questions?

Maybe if you did I'd take you seriously.

That you don't just tells me you're full of s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back