Opinion Rank these players in order from 1-6: Gary Ablett Jnr, Nathan Buckley,James Hird, Chris Judd, Dustin Martin, Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a pointless, stupid poll ..without Jimmy Bartel and M” The Velvet Sledgehammer” Lloyd.

Mark Mercuri was more skilled than Judd too ..I’ll give you the tip.

Who's arguing? I've presented a case that is yet to be refuted. In any thread in which the case has been presented.

There are plenty who rate Pendlebury ahead of Martin.
For what it's worth on Home and Away performance I rate Pendlebury as clearly better than Martin (as well as longevity).
But when I factor in Martin's finals performances (not taking anything away from Pendlebury's various finals performances) then I've given Martin the slightest edge. I think that they both fall somewhere in the 40-50 range in my mental GOAT list (which I've never properly mapped out before).

Last edited:
I think that they both fall somewhere in the 40-50 range in my mental GOAT list (which I've never properly mapped out before).
Yep, that's where they both fall for me too.

But I've analysed each player season by season, inclusive of Finals performances, and Pendlebury is marginally ahead with 2 of the best 3, through to 12 of the best 20 seasons when comparing both players (data shared in an earlier post).

Main arguements against Pendles is that he has never been the best player in the Comp.He is very good in all facets of the game, and ultra consitent but just lacks that extra 1% which makes you the best. He's never had a goal/game season nor averaged a 30 possesions per game season.

Very tough to rate these type of players, but i have him the tier below along with Robert Harvey, Black, Mitchell etc.

Pendles v Selwood would make a great thread. I’m a Selwood man.

Gary Ablett Jnr - the best player
Dustin Martin - the best player in big games
Chris Judd - the second best player
Michael Voss - the second best player in big games
James Hird - best of the rest
Nathan Buckley - second best of the rest

No disrespect to any though.

This thread should ban that poster straight away if it wants any chance of life.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett Jnr - the best player
Dustin Martin - the best player in big games
Chris Judd - the second best player
Michael Voss - the second best player in big games
James Hird - best of the rest
Nathan Buckley - second best of the rest

No disrespect to any of though.

This thread should ban that poster straight away if it wants any chance of life.

If you meant me I’m not gonna wreck it I swear. It’s a great thread. This will probs be my last post on this thread

Lost him in my list, lol.
Between Voss and Hird for me.
You could argue that Hird was better but I think Buckley-Hird-Cousins is a very close race IMO.
Everyone forgets Kerr too.

In my mind he (along with Voss) is the most aggressive hardnut gun who could turn a game on its head with his relentless attack on the ball. A beautiful kick too.

Ablett Jnr
Hird
Judd
Voss
Buckley
Martin

People probably forget how great Hird was. Could play anywhere and his impact on influencing games was enormous.
Hird…the ultimate utility player.

Anywhere on the ground ..any role ..he’d adapt in about 30 seconds

Ablett
Judd
Goodes
Selwood
Pendlebury
Fyfe
Danger
Mitchell
Dusty

Sorry don’t remember much about the others but I imagine all of them are better than Dusty and you probably left out better names such as Ricciuto, Cousins and Robert Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back