Ranking the "big six" managers

Remove this Banner Ad

I was one of the people that didn't call Pep a fraud because it wasn't really his squad and the list was ageing a bit.

There was a good amount of turnover in the off-season for City to where you can now call it Peps team.
Football seems to evolve or change from season to season now. Conte and Poch teams are getting more found out this season. Klopp seemed to have worked out how to beat the bus but now is not beating his fellow top six sides. City are obviously exceptional right now, but things could well turn again next season, and certain people will go back to calling him a fraud.

Depends on how we're measuring, overall I would say Mourinho.

Followed by:
Guardiola
Conte
Klopp
Wenger
Pochettino

Would definitely have Wenger last.

It was fairly easy defending against em the other day, they offer not much width going forward tactically.

If they were able to get the right manager in to replace him, I could easily see them becoming potential contenders again, of course if Sanchez and Ozil both leave, that's probably not going to happen (depending on the replacement I suppose)...

Historically, I honestly think Klopp has a better record than Conte. Klopp took a struggling Dortmund and got them to a UCL Final, only losing in the last few minutes against the best side of the decade so far. He also won 2 league titles with a heavily young Dortmund side.

Conte on the other hand had a powerhouse Juventus getting knocked out of the group stages by Galatasaray and in general has not been entirely successful in Europe.

Comparing league records, they're about even but it helps putting things into context in regards to the teams they've managed and the expectations and financial clout.

Did Juve finish 7th the season before Conte led them to 3 straight titles?

Klopp took a struggling Dortmund side from relegation battlers to B2B league titles and a UCL final despite having one of the youngest squads in Europe.

As I said before, there's different expectations for Juventus and Dortmund, hence why context is needed. Juve would always expect to be challenging whilst before Klopp was manager, Dortmund just wanted to stay in the Bundesliga to avoid financial collapse.

Mourinho has a Manchester budget and most have him only in front of Wenger. Money isn't exactly everything.
TBH most judge him by the style he plays, not the results he gets which would be probably second to none over the last decade and a half.

Hes on the right path at United.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Conte/Klopp/Wenger/Poch had a Manchester sized budget would they be higher up the list?
It's partly why I'm not sure how to answer or rate this.
I have no doubt that if Klopp or Poch had the budget that Pep and Mourinho have in the market then they'd win trophies.

Klopp is a couple of players short defensively of winning a title and we're a couple of players in attack short.
Would Pep win the league with their budgets, particularly ours?

How much does coaching ability factor in as I'd the reason we have largely overachieved for where our budget and spending suggests we should is more to do with coaching than anything else, something previously shown at Southampton. We have a great coach that's a little short of what he needs to win.
Posh would get a higher rating if he actually achieves something other than putting the pressure on.
Of all the things we get mocked for this is the most hilarious and pathetic.
We finished ahead of the clubs that fans mock us for. So if all we did was put pressure on what does that say about the rest lol?

I only consider what each of them have done since coming to their current club. No Pep at Barca, Klopp at Dortmund, Mou at Chelsea etc

Poch
Conte
Pep
Mourinho
Klopp
Wenger

Pochettino edges it because he's done most with the cattle he has.
At this point Klopp and Mourinho are pretty much even: Utd really should be up there competing with City, Klopp's organisation defending set pieces lets him down

being able to improve footballers shouldn't manage how much you've spent, what clubs you've been at, that's coaching. sure, we've spent a lot of money. but the signings of stones, sterling, walker in particular were all panned as being overpriced and that the clubs they leave would be better off with the money. then a season later they're all playing excellent, consistent football. that's the sort of manager the best players flock to. and you can see time and time again examples of pep developing and nurturing footballers.

klopp has had a larger budget at liverpool than he did at dortmund. not everyone excels with bigger budgets. otherwise moyes would still be at united, and mark hughes would be entering his 10th year as city manager. what klopp did at dortmund was absolutely insane. he transformed unknowns (barrios, sahin, kagawa, lewandowski etc) into title winners. they made a champions league final. it hasnt translated over to liverpool for whatever reasons but he has shown he is a supreme nurturer of talent.

It's partly why I'm not sure how to answer or rate this.
I have no doubt that if Klopp or Poch had the budget that Pep and Mourinho have in the market then they'd win trophies.

Klopp is a couple of players short defensively of winning a title and we're a couple of players in attack short.
Would Pep win the league with their budgets, particularly ours?

How much does coaching ability factor in as I'd the reason we have largely overachieved for where our budget and spending suggests we should is more to do with coaching than anything else, something previously shown at Southampton. We have a great coach that's a little short of what he needs to win.

Read somewhere Peps nearly spent as much at City as when he was at Barca and Bayern combined. Hes certainly getting given all the tools to be successful.

But hes also doing a great job of getting to run as smoothly as possible. But its never going to be an even playing field.

Read somewhere Peps nearly spent as much at City as when he was at Barca and Bayern combined. Hes certainly getting given all the tools to be successful.

But hes also doing a great job of getting to run as smoothly as possible. But its never going to be an even playing field.

Pressure was on for Pep this season and he is delivering. Unacceptable for City to not win at least 2 trophies this year with the amount invested at City.

CL is the trophy that Mansour would crave though. Can't be considered a truly elite club until you've won it.

jd2010 tagged me into this today. 1.083Bn Euros spent at his 3 clubs in his managerial career.

Sherwood's basic brain coming up with the comment that Pep would win the league with Spurs current squad is what infuriated me most from the game on the weekend!

With all due respect to Pep he's never managed a club that isn't in the top 2 wage or transfer budget wise in a league so it's an incredibly stupid thing to say.

you wouldnt give michelangelo crayons to do the sistine chapel
Okay.

Never criticised him for having a larger budget, just think this is a very hard ranking to do as the playing field isn't even.
Best AFL coach or best tennis player or best golfer is easier to define as everyone is on an equal footing.

Okay.

Never criticised him for having a larger budget, just think this is a very hard ranking to do as the playing field isn't even.
Best AFL coach or best tennis player or best golfer is easier to define as everyone is on an equal footing.
i know. but if it wasnt him it would be someone else. if you're a club with the resources, you want to win, not overachieve.

i do think that there are indicators in coaching that can be applied across the board though. improvement in players, commitment, the ability to get players to buy into your style, command respect from you players, stuff like that can apply whether spending 50 mil or 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back