Force

Team Captain
Apr 12, 2006
A.K Lines Reserve
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Watsonia Saints
It amazes me how people have a go at Ratten's coaching after a loss and then those people go missing when we beat the might of Geelong and the Saints. Fact is teams do lose sometimes, especially young, up & coming sides. Looking at this season we are on the right track and anyone who has a go at Ratten knows squat about football.

Reading the below article tells me he knows what he is doing and that he is more true blue then anyone I know and very passionate about his club!!

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/96452/default.aspx

Read this excerpt and doubters lay off:

"Q: So there was no re-assessment of your goals at the halfway mark given your position inside the eight?

A: No. The plan was in place to play finals and that will never change - in my time anyway. Every time we finish a season we expect to play finals and that's something that was drummed into me as 14-year-old in the scholarship squad here right through until my last game. It's something that Carlton people should expect and should demand from us as a club, coaches and players. Where you finish in that top eight is a different proposition each year, but I think we should give ourselves the ability to have that opportunity to see how far we can go. It's something that our club's been really proud of and will continue to be."

Ratten has practically been a blue bagger for life, more then any of these keyboard warriors...

cheers,
Force

Good thread, I was actually thinking of making a thread about his progress. I think he is becoming a smart coach and am loving what he is doing at the moment.

He has dropped little hints along the way pointing towards peaking in sept tember and finals are the most important thing.
I am interested to see the campaign this year, also after the loss to brisbane last finals should be interesting.
My frustrations are wiht players that wont put their head over the ball.

I love how Ratten is so even tempered and calm in the coaches box.

And at press conferences with the way he deals with questions.

A few of his contempories who get shirty could learn from Ratten.

Ratten looked like he was going to swear after Harvey kicked the sealer, but sucked it back after he saw that he was on camera.

Love it! :D

Ultimate professional and a salt of the earth bloke who wouldn't tolerate fools.

Reminds me of Bomber Thompson.

He has dropped little hints along the way pointing towards peaking in sept tember and finals are the most important thing.
I am interested to see the campaign this year, also after the loss to brisbane last finals should be interesting.
My frustrations are wiht players that wont put their head over the ball.

Yes, and tackle pressure... Oh, must keep it positive. It was just a flash in the pan V north. Carlton's best looks as good as any in the comp.

Rattan a true blue? = YES
Rattan a good bloke? = Seems to be
Rattan a good AFL coach? = Jury very much out

Difficult to coach when you're a basketweave...

rattan-530.jpg

Yes, and tackle pressure... Oh, must keep it positive. It was just a flash in the pan V north. Carlton's best looks as good as any in the comp.
Been to training they run tackel and preassure drills not his fault on too many occasions the boys turn to little girls. very annoying .
why you not think i mentioned tackling pressure....
Adding to somones statement with your own input then refuting your own statement is a bit silly

I love the fact after one goal he yelled "GO BLUES", and realised he was on camera :p

and the way Bradles and Him work together and laugh and all of that
shows that its not just business and their loving wat their doing :)

Been to training they run tackel and preassure drills not his fault on too many occasions the boys turn to little girls. very annoying .
why you not think i mentioned tackling pressure....
Adding to somones statement with your own input then refuting your own statement is a bit silly

Yeah I was trying to agree with you, but also bring up tackle pressure, which you've now addressed, thanks. I didn't state it properly so lead to confusion it seems.
I mean I should be more positive about Carlton to avoid being vilified. Ironic, its happened anyway.

Totally agree 100% that this Rattan is probably everything you say.

Ratten on the other hand is, as far as I can tell from this excellent interview, doing what every other coach tries to do - achieve consistency with a young group with some simple tactics.

So far all the Ratten "assessors" have only been able to provide reactionary and emotional criticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pointing the finger if I can see some blatant ineptitude, but so far that's only been evident from those who would judge him.

So to those who would outwardly criticise his ability or offer up the lame "jury's out", riddle me this:

• Exactly how do you measure his performance?
  • What are his KPIs (the thoughtless "winning games" is fail)?
  • Point out specifically what he's done wrong so far and explain what he should have done instead. And when you do that, provide his explanation of what he was trying to achieve at the time.
  • How has he dealt with injuries and recovery in this demanding modern game?
  • What game-day instructions has he given that players have failed to follow?
  • What areas of the team's development has he failed to recognise?

A player's performance is there to see, but still we fumble trying to understand what his instructions were how well he executed them. A coach's performance is even less obvious.

I don't pretend to know better and it would make a nice change to see some genuine assessment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I was trying to agree with you, but also bring up tackle pressure, which you've now addressed, thanks. I didn't state it properly so lead to confusion it seems.
I mean I should be more positive about Carlton to avoid being vilified. Ironic, its happened anyway.
Sorry mate just some confusion these forums can be tricky with out a voice and tone behind the words.

Think he is a good bloke and very honest. Also think he is developing well as a coach. However in some games I believe he does too defensive. Would really like to see him maintain a forward structure more regularly. For mine we play our best with targets to kick to. In most of our losses he has left the forward line barren for long periods of time and we have paid the price.

He has graduated from his "L" plates to his "P's" and progressing well.

But he is not one of the good coaches yet.

Twelve months and I think we'll have a good coach on our hands.

He will have Plan C,D,E,F by then

I love the fact after one goal he yelled "GO BLUES", and realised he was on camera :p

and the way Bradles and Him work together and laugh and all of that
shows that its not just business and their loving wat their doing :)

Anyone sit near the coach's box? On TV have never seen Bradles say a word to him - would like to see assistants throwing around ideas/observations all the time.

Anyone sit near the coach's box? On TV have never seen Bradles say a word to him - would like to see assistants throwing around ideas/observations all the time.
I have seen them talking alot on tv.. harvey on the other hand.... maybe we should trade for sos?

I assume you mean this in the nicest possible way - i.e. Ratten is on a perfect trajectory as measured by the steady improvement of the team. He is still learning obviously, but we had a very seasoned coach before him and the results - albeit under difficult circumstances - were not great.

To be a great coach, at least one premiership is needed.

Ratten is not Paul Roos, but by the time the team is ready, I think Ratten will be ready

Ratten is learning just like the team, that the good thing about having a young coach with a young team, they can grow together.

Number 1 draft picks aside he was given the reigns of a club that had become a basket case and has turned it around into a septmeber contender ( beyond the top 8 i mean)

I think people forget that he has an incredibly young list and consistency is something that is learnt over time no after your first good game on the park. He is doing what is in his nature and that's be a Carlton man at heart, he never shirks a question and never to my knowledge feeds us BS.

I respect and admire him as a person and player/coach. He shoulkd stay to see out the journey ahead.

Changing coaches willy-nilly is a horrible idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back