Autopsy Rd 14 Carlton vs Bulldogs Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Murphs needs to stand up as captain and show some flashes of brilliance rather than just accumulating touches. He needs to lead by example and influence the game. I like that he is getting more involved but his involvement seems to be more quantitative than qualitative.
I understand but I just don't know if he's the kind of player or has the build to do that when he's under such duress. Even Judd with all his size and power used to get mauled when he was left to do so much on his own and it must take a huge toll.

He is leading from the front still, but I think we're more likely to see his brilliance when he's released by the likes of Cripps and Bell like in the Port/GC games.

I understand but I just don't know if he's the kind of player or has the build to do that when he's under such duress. Even Judd with all his size and power used to get mauled when he was left to do so much on his own and it must take a huge toll.

He is leading from the front still, but I think we're more likely to see his brilliance when he's released by the likes of Cripps and Bell like in the Port/GC games.
I hope you're right!

Apart from the obvious poor decision making and converting set pieces, there isnt really anything negative to mention.
Boeky struggled however there were no passengers.
Please with effort and intent.
Skill level will slowly improve.

Everyone needs to consider the inexperience we had in.

Carlton weren't working hard and presenting well tonight. They kept each other guessing a lot because the options weren't there. He held the ball too long on a couple of occasions, got caught trying to cut inside and break the line but I don't mind that. I'm not sure this is a good game to judge any of the young guys on. Holman struggled, Johnson struggled a lot, Whiley struggled the most.

My problem with Boek was not that he tried to take some tackles on, it was that he lacks the composure to execute simple possessions to players streaming into the clear.

I have yet to see a game that Boak has played where he held his own, and even stood out the way that players like Graham and Buckley when they got their chance.

2e has 25 disposals and 14 marks tonight. Was really impressed with his intercept marking and playing from the front. He's back alright, confident and skillful.

Gibbs and Carazzo out in successive weeks forced to him play predominantly inside.

Not much point having a go at Murphy.

Our disposal efficiency & goal kicking cost us that match.
But geez it's frustrating how many times we laid perfect tackles, only for the WB player in possession to just drop the ball to the ground & not get penalised.
A really ugly game of footy, but another game under the belt for a lot of our young blokes.
I noticed that as well... I also saw it in the Bitchmond/Giants game. GWS players laying perfect tackles, only for the Bitchmond boys to either throw the ball out or drop the ball and got away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My problem with Boek was not that he tried to take some tackles on, it was that he lacks the composure to execute simple possessions to players streaming into the clear.

I have yet to see a game that Boak has played where he held his own, and even stood out the way that players like Graham and Buckley when they got their chance.
Still early days. He has the skills just needs more time in my opinion. Some progress faster than others.

Kids rarely look like jets from the get go.

Cripps and Graham were fairly ineffective to begin and Bell would get run down several times a game.

Very poorly umpired game tonight. That caused the game to be scrappy. Umpires to scared to pay frees when there, especially dropping and throwing the ball. They allowed scrums to form all night and allowed packs/stacks on the mill to go on for too long. Bulldogs got some soft frees when the umpires did bother to blow the whistle, especially in the 3rd quarter.

Lots of positives to my eyes.

Graham very good. Touhy very good. Jamison very good. Buckley very good. Cripps and Everitt were very good before injury.

Murphy played well and tried to lead from the front. He got battered and bruised all night and didn't take a backward step.

White, Army, Bell and Curnow highly under rated by most. Hendo suffered from poor delivery, double teaming and shockingly bad umpiring against him.

Kruezer showing how important he is to the team. Holman looks like he will make it with more experience. BB needs more experience before condemning him. Johnson needs more game time as well. Didn't see Whiley.

Simpson and Yarran played well but let down by some bad disposal for such experienced players. Casboult misjudged his timing and spacing for some marks. Wood was off tonight. Tutt is just a battler but still provides depth. Would be better with classier players around him.

Lots of positive signs can be seen if one takes a calmer view.

Most disgusting thing is fickle Blues supporters. No where near as bad as some make out.

Still early days. He has the skills just needs more time in my opinion. Some progress faster than others.

In Cripps first first games he showed glimpses of what he could do, namely get in and under and dish out some fantastic handballs.
In Grahams first few games he showed glimpses of what he could do, namely tackle hard and hold his own.
In Buckleys first few games he showed glimpses of what he could do, namely run and break the lines at speed.
In Whilys firs few games he also showed something, namely his tackling and passing.

My issue is that Boak has now played a few games and I am yet to see anything special from him to indicate what he could be capable of in the future.
Same goes for Tutt.

Both these players have failed to show anything special in their first few games to indicate that they have any real strengths that will hold them in good stead as they develop. Thats the worry for me.

I'm confident we would've won that game with Gibbs, Docherty, Menzel and Rowe in the side. Dogs have played a lot better against other teams this year, bit of an odd one tonight.

This will upset a few but it needs to be said. Boekhorst has no place playing AFL at the mome. SOS called it a bad pick and anyone that disagrees is wearing their Blues scarf too tight.
Who exactly did SOS say that to? Big statement like that needs backing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back