Autopsy Rd 15 Gcs v Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

We were very poor and our goal kicking was bad but if Ben10 and Williams play we probably win. Without the inclusion of a Martin/Kelly or both we may be spending some time towards the bottom end of the ladder.

If we'd kicked straight we would have won.

Thomas generated more drive through our half backline and midfield than half our team have managed for weeks. Persist.

He got nailed once in the backline in front of goal and no doubt everyone thinks he's done because of it, but players were running away from him to provide options. It was stupid. Still should have booted it into space but it was really bad by the players around him. Wasn't the only time either, happened a few times to a players with the ball.

If Thomas didn't play today we would have lost by 10 goals or more. They would have smashed us in the last quarter. And his delivery was so much better than almost everyone else. I had a moment where I thought "Oh that's right we have players who can kick to a target's advantage." and was surprised, but he is a much better user of the ball than most of the side were tonight.

It took the first half to get used to the game speed I think but after that he got better and more involved.

Yeah and if I was on a fat I'd be at Tender Touch. :stern look

We would have. We had more scoring shots and missed so many getable goals. It was ****ed. Its the only game I've been to this year and it was very disappointing.

Its one thing that happens far too often.

We would have. We had more scoring shots and missed so many getable goals. It was ******. Its the only game I've been to this year and it was very disappointing.

Its one thing that happens far too often.
It happens too often you say? Why hasn't the easy fix been applied? :stern look

The game? How about the last season and a half? Mate, from the way we move the ball, to the way we structure up defensively, to the tolerance of playing out of form players, to our lack of 2 way running, not only highlights how Scotts can't get the players on the same page, but how we have struggled to develop crisp ball movement and endurance under his guidance. We have reasonable players capable of playing good football but only in patches. Inconsistency has dogged us under Scotts. Inconsistency in games. Inconsistency in seasons. Can't help but think what a more switched on coach could do with our side. :stern look

On the night I was pleased with some of Scotts moves. Thomas back after half time was good. Waite roaming was good. Mountford in the middle and tagging Ablett for a large chunk of the game was good. Pleased to see McDonald more on the ball again. However I thought that we structured up very poorly defensively for a large portion of the match. Not only around stoppages but in defensive transition. We conceded too many easy goals. :stern look

Lynch was very good. Tef might be right about Hansen making a difference there.

We didn't have the speed thru the middle to match it on the transition. That really stood out. They were several yards quicker.

People want to see kids played, the kids get played, the inevitable happens & then they bitch about the coach.

Rinse. Spin. Repeat.
There's only two games left that mean anything this year.

vs Melbourne
vs. The scum

May as well only play kids and blokes we want to trade.

He got nailed once in the backline in front of goal and no doubt everyone thinks he's done because of it, but players were running away from him to provide options. It was stupid. Still should have booted it into space but it was really bad by the players around him. Wasn't the only time either, happened a few times to a players with the ball.

If Thomas didn't play today we would have lost by 10 goals or more. They would have smashed us in the last quarter. And his delivery was so much better than almost everyone else. I had a moment where I thought "Oh that's right we have players who can kick to a target's advantage." and was surprised, but he is a much better user of the ball than most of the side were tonight.

It took the first half to get used to the game speed I think but after that he got better and more involved.
This is what shits me. In the JLT LT looked very good up the ground. Season starts and it is back to the pocket, struggles, continually played in the pocket and then dropped. Should have been played up the ground in the early rounds. Uses the ball well when played there.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

The wheels are about to fall off on this season. Lucky to win one more game
Take away the Crows win and maybe Boomer's record breaker, what a disappointing and deflating 12 months it has been as a North supporter. The trend looks likely to continue for a while.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

Lose = "play the kids!!!"
Lose again = "delist the kids and get new kids"

Hibbert and Clarke are still working out what is and isn't needed in their locker and yet some posters want them to hand back their key to front desk and find a new job.
Everyone needs to play like 200 game 1st round draft picks or its Brad Scott's fault and our recruitment/development problem (which is the biggest farce ever as how can anyone know....on development) or theyre to the scrap heap. If we went on the route as some posters here, we'd have no coach and no players.

Its not about the kids, the facts are its our senior players which are letting us down. Players like Thompson, Goldstein, LT, Swallow, Jack, JMac and Mullett are just not that good. Time to phase some of these out now and continue to play our kids at least that way we are losing with a young side instead of one of the oldest.

People want to see kids played, the kids get played, the inevitable happens & then they bitch about the coach.

Rinse. Spin. Repeat.
He's got me on ignore so this is more for everyone else that liked the post:

Geelong played 3 debutants, was their result against the flag favorites "inevitable"?

Its not about the kids, the facts are its our senior players which are letting us down. Players like Thompson, Goldstein, LT, Swallow, Jack, JMac and Mullett are just not that good. Time to phase some of these out now and continue to play our kids at least that way we are losing with a young side instead of one of the oldest.
I agree. The older firm are letting down the younger players.

Thompson needs to go and Nielson or durdin need to get a go. That one should be a certainty as thompson shouldn't be given anoother contract.

Goldstein should be out for Preuss.

LT wouldn't be getting a game if Simpkin and Turner were fit.

Swallow wouldn't be if Cunnington was available and Jacobs was fit.

JMac and Mullet can thank their lucky stars that Wright is still finding his feet and EVW is out.

I think the major disappointments are Dumont and Anderson. Both have underperformed. Dumont is struggling for confidence but i think he'll be fine. Anderson needs a miracle - might be last chance saloon. In the off-season try him in a back pocket. It woorked for harbrow. He has pace, good tackle. Might as well try something before scraping him.

Weird game. Some of the senior players were puss. But some were quite good. Some of the players played out of position and were puss, but some were ok. Some of the younger players were ok in patches but were often puss.. you get the idea. We are easily the best 17th team inn history- but where are we in terms of an overall team and our reset?

Remember when we were the worst first placed team in history

If he hadn't have played we would have kicked 10 goals in the first. Hard to play 17 on 18.

No if we'd kicked straight and other players had delivered we'd have kicked 10 in the first.

He was brought in specifically to cover for Marley Williams after not playing at this level for months. Naturally it took him some time to get into the pace of the game but by the end he was playing very well, and many of the criticisms you normally have of him weren't there. Maybe because he wasn't on the forward line. By half time I thought his career was over myself, but in the third he played himself into the game a bit and in the last he was very good. I was sitting behind the GC goals and he constantly won the ball on the backline and did useful things with it. He looked far classier than our other backmen especially the poockets/flakers (they were typos but I'm leaving them in to reinforce the point.)

I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised that he played that well.

FWIW.

(edited to add the bolded "normally")

Thomas generated more drive through our half backline and midfield than half our team have managed for weeks. Persist.

This absolutely. His second half was so good. Getting run down trying to make a play out of defence will, no doubt, cloud people's judgement. His ball use was excellent and got better as the game went on. Here is a playback of my emotional state throughout the game:-

Tuned in to hear we were 2 goals up - happy.

Watching rest of first half - apoplectic, I couldn't believe the lack of effort/ intensity. Thomas should retire.

3rd Quarter - Equally annoyed because we were blowing opportunities created from much improved play. My son leaves the room 5 minutes from end of quarter because he considers me unstable!

From late in 3rd Q to end of game - much more relaxed. Great effort from players. With a little luck, we would have stolen it. Thomas is our best ball user.

We so need a Josh Kelly-type + another fairly decent outside player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back