Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else notice when Mitch laid a Nice tackle in the third I think...probably should have been called htb but it wasn’t and he just stopped and looked frustrated whereas he could have gone a second effort as the ball was still up for grabs? Didn’t think it was a great look for him.
Also sure setters was very fumbly last night but is he becoming the big bodied midfield support for Crippa? He laid out Blakely and had some other strong tackles. Coming along nicely overall IMO...

Anyone else notice when Mitch laid a Nice tackle in the third I think...probably should have been called htb but it wasn’t and he just stopped and looked frustrated whereas he could have gone a second effort as the ball was still up for grabs? Didn’t think it was a great look for him.
Also sure setters was very fumbly last night but is he becoming the big bodied midfield support for Crippa? He laid out Blakely and had some other strong tackles. Coming along nicely overall IMO...
Almost think Setters is flying under the radar somewhat, which isn't a bad thing. He's always improving, most pleasingly on his defensive skillset especially.

Almost think Setters is flying under the radar somewhat, which isn't a bad thing. He's always improving, most pleasingly on his defensive skillset especially.
Yep, agreed. Average of 5 tackles a game this year up from 3 Per game last year. Laid 8 last night.
Teaguey sure will be happy that he’s “strong in the contest” both from a pure footballing but also press conference perspective 😃

I can't help thinking there is something terribly wrong with our coaching. We had way more talent than the Swans, were 39 points down and our skill execution is terrible. This coupled with Greig Williams " doesn't play like a man" comment in reference to Paddy Dow is damming. I enjoyed the theatre of the comeback win but are we looking at the making of the next Melbourne Football Club
You'll have to live by that comment Jezz, i'll make sure it doesn't go away.

I do not want to see McGovern and Casboult in forward line again. I think I kidding myself I will get my wish though. The people that keep wanting it in MC have to go at end of the season.
The good thing was without Pittonet in the side we were at least not overly top heavy.
De konning in ruck and Levi helping out and no McGovern is going to be a lot more balanced with one more small up forward. We lacked enough smalls at McKay feet and McGovern just does not do enough. He is an enigma but he is good at what Levi is not, kicking but s**t at the other stuff. Levi s**t at kicking, great at the contested mark. It is not rocket science to realise the sum of parts of these two in forward line does not help us as a team. Just remove McGovern, trade him to be with his bro at Eagles and would be nice end to this experiment that is going nowhere.

Now for the good stuff. Walsh more in actual middle was good to see. Also our first goal came from SPS hunting the ball in middle, won the clearance which the guys before him did not get the handle on ball and clear it to a mate He did!!! Get him ******* IN THERE you ******* idiots. It is his strength. it is his tricks. Stop wasting him in back half.

Sunday night, would be sensible to get back Betts after rest and then we got at least Eddie and Owies at feet of McKay and if Cripps wants to push forward at times, it does not make us too top heavy as McGovern is not there wasting a spot which does us no favours. Betrs in, Mitch out. No brainer I would ******* hope. Doubt it though. Common sense has never been the way of this MC.

Nevertheless, too much talent on this list for a lot of the 22 show why they are there. De Konning just looks like going to be an absolute gem in ruck as the decade gets going. Fisher love his tricks and when he gets games after games into him next season he going to be an elite player.

The other good thing is to see some of the younger group are starting to take over the personality of the group. Characters like Cottrell, Harry, Samo, Willo and the King is good to see. Get a new MC next season and we can put this ordinary season behind us and going forward in leaps and bounds.

Let's end the season with two more wins and learn from all the mistakes made in recent months.

Last edited:
Walsh best on, just a gun.

TDK continues to impress.

Cripps did some good hard body work.

SPS belongs in the middle, will keep saying this every time we don't play him im the middle.

Should we just leave McGovern in the square and tell him to stay there, clear everyone out and play big H near the 50?

Plow was good on Papley, Papley wants to come to Carlton.

Weits is just a star, AA easliy in my books. Would go close to the Brownlow if they weren't obsessed with center players.
SPS played half back last night

I agree with this about Levi. His better games are when he is the second ruck.
It is not rocket science. So terrible in front of goals but so wonderful marking around the ground and can pinch hit in ruck. Why they kept playing him in front of goals where he misses so many times, has done my head in for so long. So much fun to see him up the ground where the damage to scoreboard and momentum killer is avoided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone else notice something about our first goal by Fisher? He didn’t take control of the ball, he guided it on to his foot with one hand and snapped in one motion. Just thought I’d comment as I thought that was pretty cool.
Fisher is always cool.

Yes, and when he got in middle clearances after initial ball up failed to clear he showed he should be more in midfield. First goal was direct result of his clearance from middle even though he starting off half back at centre bounce. Get him in there way more often. Ed more to wing thanks and Samo more in engine room...

Would be good to get some analysis on it because the trend is definitely there.. A break down on goaless quarters would be interesting and how we compare to others.

OK. So. Just some basic numbers.

1599619349260.png

We've lost 25 quarters for the season.
The average margin in those quarters is -14.3.
7 of them were first quarters, 7 were second quarters, 6 were third quarters, 5 were fourth quarters.

On the flipside, we've won 34 quarters for the season.
The average margin in those quarters is +10.
8 of them were first quarters, 8 were second quarters, 8 were third quarters, 10 were fourth quarters.

5 of our 7 wins have followed quarter time leads.
The two wins following an early deficit were against bottom 6 sides (Freo and Sydney), and we were arguably lucky to win both (kick after the siren, opposition miss).

Of all the other games in which we've lost the first quarter, we've gone on to lose the game by at least 3 goals every time bar one (Melbourne, 1 point loss).

I'm not seeing any obvious trends other than a general propensity to finish games well (though when we're off on the fourth quarter we seem to concede plenty). Maybe someone else will have some additional insight though.

How many F50 entries have we had for such a shitty scoring rate?

We're at +70 for I50's this year vs our opponents, but are -76 for R50's, and -9 for Goals (but +26 for behinds!).

The good news is we're getting in there. A lot. More than enough to win most games we play. But the connection between the mids and the forwards just isnt happening, it's being intercepted and coming out way to easy, and we're scoring too many behinds and not enough goals.

He's going to be a very good footballer for us, love his quick hands.

Does anyone care to know that if we had have gone on with the game vs GWS, the way they did against us, we'd now be in the 8?
Didn't think so.

I50s? We've had more than our opponent in the past 4 games and lost two of those.

Setterfield - He'll develop into an excellent player for us. He's running harder than earlier in the year and looks to be finding his feet now.

Was everyone else also getting annoyed at Dunstal's repeated confusion as to why Harry always plays on.
Clearly he gets the yips, if he takes too long or thinks about taking a set shot, so goes by natural instinct.
I would have thought blind Freddie could work that one out.
Dont mind Dunstall highlighting it. IMO Harry needs to put serious attention into this aspect of his game.

I think hence why he said "i will continue to say this everytime he doesn't play in the middle"

That being said I think I saw him at a centre bounce at one point, or maybe it was just at a re-ball up after a centre bounce. Got a clearance and put it forward. Should be back in the midfield next year.

Back