Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought TDK was good tonight and Levi seems to play so much better as a second ruck rather than full time forward.

I agree with this about Levi. His better games are when he is the second ruck.

I don't think it's a preparation issue, per se. At least, not the "Jekyl and Hyde" swings within games.

We either start strong and then let the opposition back in because our players get complacent with a decent lead.

Or we start poorly, and then our play opens up as the game goes on because there is "nothing to lose" when you're already 6 goals down.

Then in the last 10 minutes of the close games, it's all adrenaline and we've seen them go either way off a single kick.

Might try and find some time today to break down our season by games started strong/started poorly and see if there are any obvious correlations. Could be linked to travel, or time between games, or previous results, or opposition ladder position.

Would be good to get some analysis on it because the trend is definitely there.. A break down on goaless quarters would be interesting and how we compare to others.

Walsh 600 meters gained, next best Blues player Murphy, 350

Walsh score involvements 10, next best Murphy with 6

FMD

Walsh is just amazing.
Serious question - as it stands right now would you prefer to have Walsh or Smith?

I think he also doesn't have a huge ego which means he continually asks himself - "How can I get better ?".

he’s got just enough swagger, he knows he’s good, he’s got the Michael Jordan/Mamba mentality in that it’s about constant improvement at all costs but he knows he can match it and beat anyone and when he’s in prime he wants to be number 1.

his mindset is when he’s working he’s working there’s no cutting corners or excuses, he’s on! Not many people in any field have that along with the talent he’s got it’s extremely rare.

I can't help thinking there is something terribly wrong with our coaching. We had way more talent than the Swans, were 39 points down and our skill execution is terrible. This coupled with Greig Williams " doesn't play like a man" comment in reference to Paddy Dow is damming. I enjoyed the theatre of the comeback win but are we looking at the making of the next Melbourne Football Club

he’s got just enough swagger, he knows he’s good, he’s got the Michael Jordan/Mamba mentality in that it’s about constant improvement at all costs but he knows he can match it and beat anyone and when he’s in prime he wants to be number 1.

his mindset is when he’s working he’s working there’s no cutting corners or excuses, he’s on! Not many people in any field have that along with the talent he’s got it’s extremely rare.
But Rozee .......

Again Sam Walsh. Enough has been said but seriously this guy is next level. 20 years old and he’s consistently running further than everyone on the ground....every game... not just running this bloke just hammers! Contest to contest,
back fifty to front fifty, linking up, getting his own footy, breaks tackles, makes good decisions, kicks goals. Wants the ball, wants the contact when it’s there. Is this bloke serious or what? I absolutely love this bloke, he is a jet!!

Just wait til he reaches peak fitness after 4-5 pre-seasons.....

;)

I can't help thinking there is something terribly wrong with our coaching. We had way more talent than the Swans, were 39 points down and our skill execution is terrible. This coupled with Greig Williams " doesn't play like a man" comment in reference to Paddy Dow is damming. I enjoyed the theatre of the comeback win but are we looking at the making of the next Melbourne Football Club

with all due respect to the Melbourne football club they have not recruited a player like Sam Walsh who I’m telling you now will drag this club to multiple finals and grand finals. They don’t have one. Plus they haven’t recruited a Weitering either who is a generational type full back. The only thing we need to fix is our mid forward connection and that will come and it will come this off season.

don’t forget we’ve been playing in dewy conditions up in Qld the last few games as well. Get us back in less sweaty conditions in Melbourne and half those dropped marks stick in the first quarter and we’re Not 7 goals down we’re in front. It was four shots a piece at one stage, four behinds us and four straight them. We were off Scoreboard flattered them. After that we smashed em.

can’t believe we’ll probably end the year with a 50/50 record, a game out of the 8, a percentage near a hundred, no blow outs yet in 15 games, in a pandemic, away from home for 4 months, with our best forward out for the year, one of our captains coming off a knee reco, the other captain battered and bruised all season with his head elsewhere in personal matters.... coming from being in the bottom 3 for 5 years and getting smashed by 15 goals regularly as early as least season and people are complaining.

we have nothing to complain about we have generational players in our team who are 25 and under.

Carlton love a gun ruckman
John Nicholls
Mike Fitzpatrick
Justin Madden
Matthew Allan (even though it wasnt for long)
Kreuz
TDK

Pretty hand ruckmen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you troll every club with different accounts, or just Carlton? If you are fair dinkum, relax man,just enjoy the win, if we are still making mistakes next year, then criticise away.

Didn't really want to post up my thoughts last night. Was still a bit in the heat of the moment.

Tale of two halves that game.

We were really lackluster in that first qtr and a bit. Just looked completely shot. No spark coming from anywhere.

We really need to sort out what to do when teams get a roll on. It's just too much of a trend to ignore.

Credit to the team though, after letting them kick the first 7 we held them to one goal for 2 and a half qtrs.

Defence was really good for the majority of the game. Plow and Weitering were supurb.

SPS- I've been down on him this year... but that was a great effort to respond. Exactly what we needed to see from him. Feel he was willing to take the game on a bit more, which is exactly what we need. Hats off. Played a great game.

Cripps- Was nice to see him rack up some touches after QTR time. We all know how good he is, and we all took it for granted that he would churn out 25-35 touches every game. He just always delivered and we got so used to it. Still a star and a great leader. Once he hits form again (hopefully all season next year) it will make a massive, massive difference to our finals chances.

Setters- Gee he had the fumbles for most of the game. Just struggled to get a clean touch and take away on the ball. Something he needs to keep working on. But to his credit he battled all game. I think he has added a much tougher side to his game in teh last 12 months. Much more contested. His tackling is much, much better too. Still very young and only going to improve that side of his game as he gets bigger and stronger.

Walsh- What can I say that hasn't been said. Kid is a born competitor. Will be a star of this competition for the next decade. No one dare question picking him at 1 again. He's a beauty. Everything you could want in a kid.

I thought Willow had some good moments. That one hand pick up was bloody Kouta like. Wish he hadn't been tripped because he was off to the races. Like that he is willing to take the game on and go for some aggressive kicks. Its not always going to come off, but he will only get better at picking the moments. Hes had so much time out of the game that its only upwards from here. So much improvement left.

TDK- What a pick by SOS. Kid is going to be a jet. Once he starts cluncking them forward and kicking goals too he will be one of the premier ruckmen of the comp. Our ruck stocks are in good hands being led by this kid.

McGovern- Stinker. Really needs to have a look in the mirror and decide what he wants out of AFL footy. Got dropped last year for not working hard enough and being out of shape. Thought the penny had dropped for a bit, but seems so far off it at the moment that its not funny. Also if he goes for a bump when he should tackle one more time I might break my TV.

Cottrell - So happy for him being able to do that for the club he grew up supporting. He will remember that forever. In the cold light of day though it was a pretty average game. His disposal is still very sloppy, and he is slow with decision making. He dropped another mark that bounced off his chest. Still got alot to work on but his intent is there. It was an average game but he was clutch when the team needed him.

Owies- Really liked his intent. Was stiff with a couple of those tackles. Think theres a bit to work with there. Jumping up to AFL level after only VFL and micky mouse practice matches this year was always gonig to take some adjusting. Want to see more of him but I like his intent.

Cunners- Just didn't get involved enough which his age old knock on his game. Straight after the game I saw all the other boys laughing and celebrating. Cunners just looked really down. Dirty on himself for a poor game? Hope so. Want to see him drive himself to a new level. If he is one player who can step up to averaging 20 odd touches it will just propell our team forward.

Newnes- Was critical of him early in the year but he has really locked in a spot in our team. No one moving him out of the team any time soon. Works hard defensively and has been good in attack and hitting the score board. Keep doing what you are doing.

Also my man Doc. Thought he was good. He's copped some criticism over the last couple of weeks. I think people forget he has missed two full years off footy. Barely pulled on a footy boot for 2 and a half years in that time. Had two big surgeries. He is one of the most professional and hard working players we have had in recent times. Worked his ass off to get his body right. He is getting back to his best. It was never going to be straight back to AA form for him. But every game he gets this year will hold him in good stead for this year. Just made of the right stuff and I'm happy he is one of our captains.

Overall it was a really good effort to fight back from that... but for god sakes, lets address the opposition team run on.

I'll be the judge of what IS a match saving tackle...

You're right though my very very very very very very very very good friend.
The way you guys are going with the extra "very"s it will soon not fit on the page...

Back