Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Re. Walsh -

He'll rarely be seen as a match-winner by outsiders, because he doesn't manufacture the spectacular nor run around aggressively.
He's just a smooth mover with a huge appetite for the contest, along with an extremely high football IQ.

One other thing he does...or doesn't do....is to express pain. It's as though he's embarrassed to be seen to be hurt.
Saw this in his first pre-season with us and he won me over there and then.
Pendlebury.

Death by 1000 good decisions.

He did it running in and trying to jam a late elbow into Setterfield who was marking the ball. No intent to spoil, just a really poorly executed attempt to bump an exposed player.

View attachment 956761

View attachment 956766

Can't have been too bad an injury, he got back out and kept playing.

Exactly. He saw an opportunity to hit an exposed bloke in a marking 'contest'. And missed. And hurt himself. Eat a dick.

Plowman on Papley - he was outstanding. Beat him in the air, sidestepped him on the ground and kept him goal less. I suspect he'd have gotten 2nd BOG in our B&F for that performance.

TDK a major highlight. Another pre-season under his belt, add Charlie and Kemp.....and maybe Papley and we are finals bound next year for sure. (With the proviso we fix up these god awful inside 50 entrances - so many go to waste)

And Tommy Williamson. Love him. Love his grunt combined with skill and finesse. We need more grunt like Tommy Williamson.

To be fair, as a 21 year old ruck, he may not have had that performance in him if he had to play on a 4 day break, and then a 5 day break.
Definitely should be our first choice ruck in 2021.

This.

Lots of criticism that he was dropped last round. I don't see an issue with it.

Calculated decision to not play the 21yo beanpole against Mumford in the midst of a condensed fixture.

Will be curious to see which was we go this weekend against Reilly O'Brien. Another young ruckman, but he's a solid lad. Could potentially swing the change and go with Pittonet, let TDK have another rest, then swap them again for the game against Brisbane and the taller McInerney.

Re. Walsh -

He'll rarely be seen as a match-winner by outsiders, because he doesn't manufacture the spectacular nor run around aggressively.
He's just a smooth mover with a huge appetite for the contest, along with an extremely high football IQ.

One other thing he does...or doesn't do....is to express pain. It's as though he's embarrassed to be seen to be hurt.
Saw this in his first pre-season with us and he won me over there and then.

With Walsh, I feel how hard he actually works is undervalued or not recognised externally.

Often he’ll sprint 80m just to create an option on the wing. This then gives the team time to set up. Without that effort we would have likely kicked the ball directly to the opposition or to a position where we are outnumbered.

One thing was a huge positive was Plows low flat bullets from defence
I saw them in training 2 years ago and thought this guy is elite kick
He is playing with confidence is now an elite kick

His kick to Walsh with 3 min to go was crucial in the lead up to Cott's goal. Amazing vision to spot Sam and then the perfect low-bullet pass!

Good win gents .................

The first 20 pages in the game thread should be saved and funny reading now

Arrow got called out a couple of times maybe he should respond now.

Well done and make the finals now with 2 wins coming up

We need too many other results to go our way. Think we fall a game plus percentage short.

Yeah well to be honest, I still think Some things are broken at the club, my opinion.. but it’s a winning thread and I wanted to make a somewhat positive comment instead of only a negative won.

Yes we won, but we should never have been in a position to have to win it with a min left on the clock, but it’s a winning autopsy so I’m trying to be somewhat positive

I'm not sure there is a team at the moment that is playing perfect footy. Of course there are things to work on, and there are so many factors at play here that we are still a small chance to play finals with two games to play is proof to me that we are on the right track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is funny when you see people having a go at Cripps. saw some people trying to say he didn't have a good game last night. He doesn't need to star, but that doesn't mean he can't play a good game and contribute. He had 17 disposals, 7 tackles, 5 clearances(3 centre), 10 contested touches, 82 percent efficiency and kicked a goal

I am stating to wonder if perhaps Russell hasnt quite got the pre match preparation right.. Almost every game we seem to either jump teams at the start of the game and fade away, or like last night start slow and come home hard at the end.

I think its happening too consistently across this season to be a co-incidence..

With Walsh, I feel how hard he actually works is undervalued or not recognised externally.

Often he’ll sprint 80m just to create an option on the wing. This then gives the team time to set up. Without that effort we would have likely kicked the ball directly to the opposition or to a position where we are outnumbered.

That's what I loved about him in his TAC years; You look here...there he is.....you look there....and there he is, again :)

Watch Cottrell in that last quarter. Nowhere near the talent but the #46 spent a lot of time on-screen.

The most pleasing thing about last night, was that the win was off the back of huge performances from Walsh, Weitering, SPS, Plowman, Willo & TDK.. In the past if we had a gutsy win it was Murphy or Ed having a big last quarter or Cripps willing us across the line. Our reliance on the older players is no longer there and will make the transition away from them much easier to manage... In all honesty Murphy could find himself out of the best 22 next year, especially if we bring in a Zac Williams or Josh Kelly type player.

I am stating to wonder if perhaps Russell hasnt quite got the pre match preparation right.. Almost every game we seem to either jump teams at the start of the game and fade away, or like last night start slow and come home hard at the end.

I think its happening too consistently across this season to be a co-incidence..

I don't think it's a preparation issue, per se. At least, not the "Jekyl and Hyde" swings within games.

We either start strong and then let the opposition back in because our players get complacent with a decent lead.

Or we start poorly, and then our play opens up as the game goes on because there is "nothing to lose" when you're already 6 goals down.

Then in the last 10 minutes of the close games, it's all adrenaline and we've seen them go either way off a single kick.

Might try and find some time today to break down our season by games started strong/started poorly and see if there are any obvious correlations. Could be linked to travel, or time between games, or previous results, or opposition ladder position.

But those two issues would appear to be completely separate.

From memory, we haven't necessarily been run off our legs in a number of the games where teams come back - go back to Geelong or Essendon, they just took the game on more because they had little to lose, and Hawks/Pies/GWS seemed to have it more together mentally when it counted and yeah, took the game on.

For years I've been more confident when the Blues are 3 goals behind than I am when we're 3 ahead - nothing about that seems to be changing any time soon :(

let them all say he’s not the best in that draft. I think it drives him to be even better. Since Cornes opened his mouth he’s been unbelievable. Keep the comments coming. I think out of all of those picks Walsh has the most resolve along with Smith and for that reason Walsh and Smith will be the most consistent players from that crop. It’s An amazing crop and I think we picked the hardest worker in it with the biggest heart. Heart and hard work Is the basis of all great sides.

how many number 1 picks have we had in the past with Walsh’s resolve? Apart from Kruezer none and it cost us top 4 finishes and ultimately premierships. Give me Walsh everyday of the week.

I think he also doesn't have a huge ego which means he continually asks himself - "How can I get better ?".

Watched the highlights a few times. Rapt we got the win.
Once we sort out F50 entries, we will be a very good side.
Great to see Williamson up and running again playing well after long injury spell.
We will miss finals, but would be great to win last 2 games.

Back