Review Rd 16: Freo holds on against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please explain to me the difference between wrapping arms around in a forward marking contest is different to a ruck contest when a player wraps his arms around the other ruckman!!!
Is there something in the rules, laws that says it is different?
See clause 18.4.3(g):

18.4 RUCK CONTESTS
18.4.1 Spirit and Intention
The Ruck whose sole objective is to contest the football shall be permitted to do so.
18.4.2 Number of Rucks
Each Team must have no more than one Ruck contesting any centre bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in.
18.4.3 Free Kicks - Ruck Contests
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Ruck contest against a Player where the Player:
(a) who is not a Ruck, contests a throw-up or boundary throw-in;
(b) unduly pushes or bumps an opposition Ruck;
(c) blocks an opposition Ruck;
(d) makes contact with an opposition Ruck prior to the football leaving the field or boundary Umpire’s hand;
(e) who is a Ruck, enters their attacking half or steps outside the Centre Circle prior to the field Umpire bouncing or throwing up the football;
(f) hits the football Out of Bounds On the Full from a throw-up by a field Umpire or a throw-in by a boundary Umpire; or
(g) is wearing a jumper featuring the colour purple, whether as main feature or as accent.

See clause 18.4.3(g):

18.4 RUCK CONTESTS
The Ruck whose sole objective is to contest the football shall be permitted to do so.
18.4.2 Number of Rucks
Each Team must have no more than one Ruck contesting any centre bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in.
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Ruck contest against a Player where the Player:
(d) makes contact with an opposition Ruck prior to the football leaving the field or boundary Umpire’s hand;
(e) who is a Ruck, enters their attacking half or steps outside the Centre Circle prior to the field Umpire bouncing or throwing up the football;
(f) hits the football Out of Bounds On the Full from a throw-up by a field Umpire or a throw-in by a boundary Umpire; or
(g) is wearing a jumper featuring the colour purple, whether as main feature or as accent.
I think G sums it up perfectly.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between wrapping arms around in a forward marking contest is different to a ruck contest when a player wraps his arms around the other ruckman!!!
Is there something in the rules, laws that says it is different?

There’s a razor ray umpire segment on SEN with Gary Lyon which explained the difference. I’ll try and find it

See clause 18.4.3(g):

18.4 RUCK CONTESTS
18.4.2 Number of Rucks
Nicnat is one ruck who often steps out of the centre circle. Never seen anyone pulled up for it.

Ruck contests are a lottery. Darcy just standing there is considered a block somehow.

In this vein, I have a query about the centre bounce.

At the centre bounce each ruck must stay their side of the line, prior to the bounce. The ball is bounced and curves towards Darcy’s side, he stops his run as the ball has veered towards his direction. The opponent jumps into the stationary Darcy, and it is called a block against Darcy.

If the ball veers towards your side, how are you supposed to slam your legs into reverse, when trundling along like a wavering giant !!!!!, due to your poor bouncing skills.

Darcy's issue is once he is in the position he wants to be for centre bounce he looks at the opposition ruck to see what he is doing, and because Darcy makes best position and looks at the player, the umpire sees it as Darcy looking to block the opponent instead of contest the ball. It's funny because Darcy was much better off when the bounce got recalled, as the ball up doesn't go as high, and he doesn't have time to look around as the ball comes back down to earth.

I wish I could credit the poster who mentioned a little while ago that it's almost a poisoned chalice supporting Freo when they're a decent side, since most of the wins become less enjoyable due to our inherent hypercritical nature as supporters, while the losses become catastrophic.
Don't think that is only a Freo thing. When a side is inside top 4 they become favourites in most games. That makes losses naturally more annoying since most of them are should win games. Even more in our case since we have a perfect record vs the 3 teams above us on the ladder.

Being a bottom 6 team a loss is just another lost.

Don't think that is only a Freo thing. When a side is inside top 4 they become favourites in most games. That makes losses naturally more annoying since most of them are should win games. Even more in our case since we have a perfect record vs the 3 teams above us on the ladder.

Being a bottom 6 team a loss is just another lost.
You just need to have an excuse for each loss in your mind and not project that as a trend where we will lose every game for the rest of the year.

Saints - 1 bad quarter & it hadn't clicked yet.
Suns - 6 covid replacements, rain & bad day forward.
Pies - 2nd wet game in a row.
Blues - Coming off the Bye.

All explainable. We're still going to win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just need to have an excuse for each loss in your mind and not project that as a trend where we will lose every game for the rest of the year.

Saints - 1 bad quarter & it hadn't clicked yet.
Suns - 6 covid replacements, rain & bad day forward.
Pies - 2nd wet game in a row.
Blues - Coming off the Bye.

All explainable. We're still going to win the flag.

I'm feeling more optimistic now having read this.

If we can beat Melbourne at the G, we can win the premiership.

So, I finally got a chance to watch the game and these were my thoughts:
  • Clark; amazing. What a player and such a good get from Geebung. Suffer in ur jocks Catters.
  • Aish; incredible first three quarters but waned towards the end. For what was largely a salary dump trade, we are getting some significant return on (minimal) investment here.
- Lobb; give the guy another contract if we need to. Has some serious reach and now forward craft that we’d struggle without.
  • Fyfe; not nearly as bad as some (and the media) would have you believe. Building nicely in my view.
  • AB; ❤️.
  • Freddy; did some nice things and added some real urgency to our forward line.
  • Our whole defence; smooth, reliable, tough, unheralded. Wilson to his credit, stepped up to the next level with no trouble at all. I’d offer him another one year contract as insurance without question.
Looked a fast-paced and intense game, so I’ll excuse the fade out. Plus we won so * it.

So, I finally got a chance to watch the game and these were my thoughts:
  • Clark; amazing. What a player and such a good get from Geebung. Suffer in ur jocks Catters.
  • Aish; incredible first three quarters but waned towards the end. For what was largely a salary dump trade, we are getting some significant return on (minimal) investment here.
- Lobb; give the guy another contract if we need to. Has some serious reach and now forward craft that we’d struggle without.
  • Fyfe; not nearly as bad as some (and the media) would have you believe. Building nicely in my view.
  • AB; ❤️.
  • Freddy; did some nice things and added some real urgency to our forward line.
  • Our whole defence; smooth, reliable, tough, unheralded. Wilson to his credit, stepped up to the next level with no trouble at all. I’d offer him another one year contract as insurance without question.
Looked a fast-paced and intense game, so I’ll excuse the fade out. Plus we won so * it.
Yep. This

Remove this Banner Ad

Back