Preview Rd 17 - Western Bulldogs vs Sydney Swans 3:20 pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we see the midfield battle all?

Hewett to tag Libba
Think we'll try and use the same tactics for Bont that we did for Dusty. If so, who will we switch over to in the back half? Cunningham?
Will they tag Mills who has been a gun for us?

Talk me through it people!
Hewett will be on Libba or McRae depending on who the Swans see as the most damaging.

I mentioned before but we can't tag Bont, just keep him accountable. Play Mills, Parker or Kennedy on him. The focus can't be nullifying his influence but rather stemming it. If Bont is kept to 20 disposals and a goal, that'll be a win for the Swans midfield group

Mills has played on Bontempelli before with some success (although it was only for a half of footy as I recall). Mills has often played on the bigger-bodied midfielders this year so I suspect they'll go with that again.

Hewett to Liberatore seems a no-brainer.

If those matchups come about, Kennedy and Parker dealing with Macrae and Smith worry me. Macrae for his excellent endurance running and Smith for his pace out of stoppages.

IMO we need to go full defensive in the midfield. They are actually very similar to us physically (bigger-bodied, not that quick) but they're a helluva lot cleaner, and since we'll be without a few of our more attacking mids, we should just focus our energy into putting the clamps down on them and effecting their much cleaner and more efficient disposal out of the centre. Stop their unreal ability to get it from the inside to the outside by cutting off the supply from Liberatore, and the distribution from Bontempelli. We can then hopefully achieve some ascendency over them and turn that into attack.

Shame that Rowbottom and Warner will miss as it would've been great for those two to have a crack against the best midfield in the comp, if for nothing else than a valuable experience as developing mids.

Mills has played on Bontempelli before with some success (although it was only for a half of footy as I recall). Mills has often played on the bigger-bodied midfielders this year so I suspect they'll go with that again.

If those matchups come about, Kennedy and Parker dealing with Macrae and Smith worry me. Macrae for his excellent endurance running and Smith for his pace out of stoppages.
Pretty sure Florent will go to Smith.

Without the burst speed of Warner and Rowbottom we'll have problems with those two full stop. Will need tactics rather than simple tagging and choke off supply from Libba. Hick will be crucial as well, as he has been all season.
Interesting to see how Amartey goes against English and Bruce. Went back to the replay and was blown away by his leaps over a tiring NicNat. Clean hands too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair chance they're naming surplus with a few obvioisly to not play, and play in the AFL instead. Didn't list O'Riordan or Sinclair as an out.

It said "Squad to face Footscray VFL
In: Bell, Blakey, Carruthers, Gray, McAndrew, P. McCartin, L McDonald. O'Connor, S. Reid, Rowbottom, Sheather
Out: Gould (suspended) L.Taylor
Side to be finalised today"
Don't know what's the go with Blakey, it's hilarious that now we consider him untouchable (I'm in that boat for this week). Bell and Rowbottom are interesting, would have thought they might swap and Bell is sub. I guess they have to name all potential VFL players, so maybe one of them and one of COR/Stephens will be the last IN and the sub. If it were me, I'd go Rowbottom (if fit) in and Bell sub (I'd prefer Stephens, but whoever is sub won't play VFL).

Both Bell and Blakey would be stiff, but if they reckon Rowbottom is fully fit, then having players unlucky to miss out is exactly where you want to be.

If Reid has a good one and comes in at the expense of Amartey next week, then Amartey will also be stiff. It's a heartbreaking problem to have, but better than having to play an intercepting backman in the ruck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back