Preview GWS vs Sydney Swans Saturday 5th August @Giants Stadium 7:30pm - How to backpack your way to Inner Western Sydney

Will Toby Greene destroy us again?

• Yes

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actually, GWs have 33,000 members and they do go to games. but due to them playing in two venues instead of one it is difficult to maintain good crowd numbers. Their ground only holds 27,000 and Manuka only 16,000. The NSw govt needs to expand the Giants Stadium to at least 35,000 within the next 5 years. It is overdue.
GWS games at Giants Stadium so far this year; 6
Games that drew a crowd of over 10,000; Zero

And that includes games against traditionally big drawing Vic teams in Carlton & Richmond.

GWS games at Manuka this year; 3
Games that drew a crowd of over 10,000; 3

Games were v Bris, Bulldogs, Suns.

Canberrans actually have an interest in Aussie Rules, 'Greater Western Sydney' whatever that means, less so.

Governments spend enough of our money on white elephants. The AFL wastes enough on GWS let's not encourage the NSW Govt to follow suit.

I'd be interested to know where the vast majority of GWS fans actually live and whether they would still follow them if they were the Canberra Giants? I could be wrong but I just feel like not many people in Western Sydney really follow AFL.
Of the 32k members 6k are Canberra.

Our problem is majority of our members are 3 game members.

We won’t be the Canberra Giants no matter how some may feel both Swans and Giants fans.
Too many deals regarding Olympic Park precinct and investments to walk away and they still believe, quite rightly, that WS can be large enough to carve out the niche required.
There are more sponsors and fans in WS of the club than in Canberra. By a bit.
The crowd boost in Canberra comes from being 6 hours away from the VFL clubs.

Our crowds have been low at the Beanstalk but they are up on last year. We were averaging around 13k before the pandemic and have had a massive reset because of it.
We will get up there to an average of 15k plus have no doubts.

Last edited:
GWS games at Giants Stadium so far this year; 6
Games that drew a crowd of over 10,000; Zero

And that includes games against traditionally big drawing Vic teams in Carlton & Richmond.

GWS games at Manuka this year; 3
Games that drew a crowd of over 10,000; 3

Games were v Bris, Bulldogs, Suns.

Canberrans actually have an interest in Aussie Rules, 'Greater Western Sydney' whatever that means, less so.

Governments spend enough of our money on white elephants. The AFL wastes enough on GWS let's not encourage the NSW Govt to follow suit.

If you took that approach with the NRL there'd barely be a club that could survive.

I'm saying so , they should be in Tassie
Surely North, Saints or Dogs fit that criteria better, all irrelevant clubs sucking the teet of the AFL dry.
Or Darwin , been gifted by the AFL and we copped a trade ban because of them
Gees that's a long bow, not GWS fault Buddy chose us and Fitzpatrick threw a hissy fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its so cringe i cant stand bagging out another club who is just trying to survive in a non AFL state.

Guys we come from where not so long ago i could count the amount of people who used to show up for our games.
It's not bagging another club , they are a pop up club who have been pumped up by the AFL , IF GOLD COAST GOT WHAT THEY GOT THEY MIGHT'VE WON A FLAG

Yer i know all of that just irks me cause not to long ago we were in a worse position.

Just had to say something
That's fair enough. Not saying that GWS' struggles and issues aren't relevant to us or even shared by us at one point or another.

But for me personally I just kinda... don't care?

I'm a Sydney Swans supporter and so for me personally I actually couldn't give two shits about any club in the AFL except the Sydney Swans. Wish nothing but misery and failure on the whole lot of em.

That's fair enough. Not saying that GWS' struggles and issues aren't relevant to us or even shared by us at one point or another.

But for me personally I just kinda... don't care?

I'm a Sydney Swans supporter and so for me personally I actually couldn't give two shits about any club in the AFL except the Sydney Swans. Wish nothing but misery and failure on the whole lot of em.

I have no strong feelings of dislike for any other club.

With the exception of LolNorf & Carlton (For voting to kill the club I might add) and Essendon for literally doping themselves to the eyeballs.

These 3 can relocate/merge or just fold.

How many grounds have you been to
I have been to Adelaide Oval, Docklands, 'G'. SCG, Gabba. Not WA but my friends in WA assure me food options are not that great. Major caterer, same as all other venues except Giants stadium. I worked in places like 'G', in fact I worked the 'G', Junction Oval, Princes Park, Sydney Football Stadium, SCG, Caulfield Races, Flemington Races, Dogs in both Sydney & Melbourne, Sandown. The difference I found with giants stadium was that all the food stalls were run by franchisees. They had a little of this at SCG too but that dreadful Delaware North got rid of them and paid to use their names. They got shafted when Merivale, the Horr**** Hemmes group took over. Beer prices at the SCG are horrendous, $12 or more . It was over $10 when I last lived in Aus 2018

I have been to Adelaide Oval, Docklands, 'G'. SCG, Gabba. Not WA but my friends in WA assure me food options are not that great. Major caterer, same as all other venues except Giants stadium. I worked in places like 'G', in fact I worked the 'G', Junction Oval, Princes Park, Sydney Football Stadium, SCG, Caulfield Races, Flemington Races, Dogs in both Sydney & Melbourne, Sandown. The difference I found with giants stadium was that all the food stalls were run by franchisees. They had a little of this at SCG too but that dreadful Delaware North got rid of them and paid to use their names. They got shafted when Merivale, the Horr**** Hemmes group took over. Beer prices at the SCG are horrendous, $12 or more . It was over $10 when I last lived in Aus 2018
Yep food options at Giants Stadium are really good and I like the way you can walk around almost the whole ground on that one level and peruse all the offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back