Preview GWS vs Sydney Swans Saturday 5th August @Giants Stadium 7:30pm - How to backpack your way to Inner Western Sydney

Will Toby Greene destroy us again?

• Yes

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the 32k members 6k are Canberra.

Our problem is majority of our members are 3 game members.

We won’t be the Canberra Giants no matter how some may feel both Swans and Giants fans.
Too many deals regarding Olympic Park precinct and investments to walk away and they still believe, quite rightly, that WS can be large enough to carve out the niche required.
There are more sponsors and fans in WS of the club than in Canberra. By a bit.
The crowd boost in Canberra comes from being 6 hours away from the VFL clubs.

Our crowds have been low at the Beanstalk but they are up on last year. We were averaging around 13k before the pandemic and have had a massive reset because of it.
We will get up there to an average of 15k plus have no doubts.
Western Sydney people don't generally go to games. I mean only if Pare or Penrith is top. If they are not top then the crowds filter away to the clubs. This is where Sydney people watch any football, in the clubs, pubs and other boozers. so, if you look at the Swans, we have 66,000 members but our average attendance is only 34,369.

Yep food options at Giants Stadium are really good and I like the way you can walk around almost the whole ground on that one level and peruse all the offerings.
Yes, it's fantastic. Not the shite they serve in the other big stadiums run by major caterers. I tried the kebabs at SCG, they were effing horrible. The ones at Giants Stadium were sensational made by a Lebanese family business franchise.

Its so cringe i cant stand bagging out another club who is just trying to survive in a non AFL state.

Guys we come from where not so long ago i could count the amount of people who used to show up for our games.
Me too. I used to be at those games. The Swanlettes or Swantits haha. We didn't win too many in those days but the beer was cold & cheap and the entry was also cheap.

Western Sydney people don't generally go to games. I mean only if Pare or Penrith is top. If they are not top then the crowds filter away to the clubs. This is where Sydney people watch any football, in the clubs, pubs and other boozers. so, if you look at the Swans, we have 66,000 members but our average attendance is only 34,369.
You need to remember close to 1/3 of the members will be Victorian.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a bigger fan of Clarke than most around here, but I’m not sure playing him with Wicks in the same side will work. Both are essentially defensive forwards and it’s not usual you have to shutdown two running defenders
Not sure you saw Wicks last game?

We won’t be the Canberra Giants no matter how some may feel both Swans and Giants fans.
Too many deals regarding Olympic Park precinct and investments to walk away and they still believe, quite rightly, that WS can be large enough to carve out the niche required.

Our crowds have been low at the Beanstalk but they are up on last year. We were averaging around 13k before the pandemic and have had a massive reset because of it.
You averaged 13k pre pandemic because tickets were free with a Big Mac meal. Paying customers would have been closer to 5k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will take time and generational fan growth to grow more

You averaged 13k pre pandemic because tickets were free with a Big Mac meal. Paying customers would have been closer to 5k.

Who cares if they're paying or non paying? At least they attended & were exposed to AFL. I grew up in western sydney & there was zilch AFL footprint in my area until GWS came about & the AFL started putting further resources into growing the game in this area. This includes the swans when they had 70k attending games at ANZ & massive numbers for home games. Zilch coverage in western sydney, the game in this area was known as 'GAYFL' thats what people thought of it.

I'm happy that sentiment has changed because it sucked being derided for supporting it & even embarrassed to discuss it with mates.

At least kids growing up in this area will be less exposed to that viewpoint now due to the AFL putting money into this part of Sydney & introduction of GWS. It's a long way to go but you need to start somewhere. It's sucks hearing non-sydney or even sydney based fans deride a club for growing the game in this area.

Goodluck to GWS for the future but I hope we smash them tomorrow. I will not continue reading comments shitting on the club when they're trying to grow the sport in this area.

Who cares if they're paying or non paying? At least they attended & were exposed to AFL. I grew up in western sydney & there was zilch AFL footprint in my area until GWS came about & the AFL started putting further resources into growing the game in this area. This includes the swans when they had 70k attending games at ANZ & massive numbers for home games. Zilch coverage in western sydney, the game in this area was known as 'GAYFL' thats what people thought of it.

I'm happy that sentiment has changed because it sucked being derided for supporting it & even embarrassed to discuss it with mates.

At least kids growing up in this area will be less exposed to that viewpoint now due to the AFL putting money into this part of Sydney & introduction of GWS. It's a long way to go but you need to start somewhere. It's sucks hearing non-sydney or even sydney based fans deride a club for growing the game in this area.

Goodluck to GWS for the future but I hope we smash them tomorrow. I will not continue reading comments shitting on the club when they're trying to grow the sport in this area.
This in spades.

There are some hot takes re GWS.
There are some brain-dead takes re GWS.

Sydney is the most competitive sporting landscape for a team in the world. There is literally no comparison.

Its pathetic how tin rattling clubs from Victoria throw shade towards GWS. The fact that GWS involvement in the AFL allows the AFL to negotiate such a competitive broadcast contract. Then the handouts flow. To the beleaguered.

I support what the AFL are doing in western Sydney and people who claim it a failure at this point are morons. It was always going to be a very long term strategic move.

However, that doesn't mean I can't s**t on them as a club.

Sydney fans should be embracing a rivalry instead of holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

Surely that can’t be true. No way is the average so high. That figure sounds as grossly inflated as the official crowd figures for GWS. 13k my arse.
They're probably home and away averages. Our home only average this year is 31k while GWS is 9k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back