Review Rd. 19 Fremantle defeat St Kilda by 37 - Post game analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game. Seem to have switched it on at the right time of year.

Worried about McPharlins calf. Massive loss if he is out for an extended period. As long as he is 100% fit for the finals, I'll be happy.

Clarke who? Hope he's comfortable down at Peel. Griff cementing his spot.

i thought maybe ross stayed in perth to watch WCE v Hawks and flew the midnight to melbourne

hence why he looked under the weather?

maybe 6pr can ask tonight?

After our first quarter I knew we'd cruise through the rest of the game and the Saints would end up reducing the margin but I could not give a single s**t!

That was the best we've played in a long time. We are just hitting our straps again just coming into finals.

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a 10 gamer. Even including Fyfe... Alex Pearce needs to be signed up on a 5 year contract or something. What a star. I hope he wins the rising star nom this week too, he certainly deserves it.

Hill, Mundy and Neale were fantastic in the middle. And dare I say it, Suban was good too. I still don't think De Boer is up to scratch. But it's likely he'll stay in the team for the rest of the year now and Weller will probably make way for Fyfe next week.

After our first quarter I knew we'd cruise through the rest of the game and the Saints would end up reducing the margin but I could not give a single s**t!

That was the best we've played in a long time. We are just hitting our straps again just coming into finals.

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a 10 gamer. Even including Fyfe... Alex Pearce needs to be signed up on a 5 year contract or something. What a star. I hope he wins the rising star nom this week too, he certainly deserves it.

Hill, Mundy and Neale were fantastic in the middle. And dare I say it, Suban was good too. I still don't think De Boer is up to scratch. But it's likely he'll stay in the team for the rest of the year now and Weller will probably make way for Fyfe next week.
Thought De Boer went ok, but he really needs to fix his kicking

Thought De Boer went ok, but he really needs to fix his kicking
Few handballs directly to the opposition as well though.

Edit: I know he wasn't the only one with clangers though, but his disposal every game is quite poor but not only that I feel like every time he has the ball he really slows things down and holds it up and misses a good option because of it. I don't think he adds much to the team.

Last edited:
Very noticeable as we'll the instruction from ro
I thought it was a good win, if only because it showed which direction we are heading with ball movement as the finals approach. If we can back it up with the same game next week we'll be looking ominous again
As has already been mentioned Clarke is going to find it very hard to get back into the team on merit but presumably will be given one last chance to impress when we rest Sandi as finals approach.
I enjoyed the work of the autopsy thread's regular punching bags today - Suban, De Boer, Sheridan, Crozier all played their role
With one exception that is....

PLEASE this. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
At one stage in the third quarter they put up some stat about metres gained and it had D Pearce and Hill exactly equal on 393. Which goes to show what a misleading stat it is, if it had been effective metres gained Hill would have led by about 300.
I dont quite understand D.Pearce. He leads the comp in inside 50s but butchers the ball and seems genuinely surprised everytime it doesnt hit the target. Case in point, he had 24 touches against the saints but had an ED% of 50% yet 22 out of 24 were uncontested. I just dont understand?? It's not like he brings anything defensively either - 1 tackle.

At start of year our bottom rung players were playing great and then we had the mid season slump where the fell right off. To their real credit, Ross & co have recognised this and managed to replace these players with youth over the last few who are more than standing up. Between Sheridan, Crozier, A. Pearce, Weller etc. there are much needed effective possessions, marks and goals. I've always thought it was the fringe players who would make the big diff in our push towards finals whereas a lot of media attention on pav, fyfe etc.

I dont quite understand D.Pearce. He leads the comp in inside 50s but butchers the ball and seems genuinely surprised everytime it doesnt hit the target. Case in point, he had 24 touches against the saints but had an ED% of 50% yet 22 out of 24 were uncontested. I just dont understand?? It's not like he brings anything defensively either - 1 tackle.

He's #2 in the team for meters gained, after Hill. That's why he keeps getting picked every week.

What i learnt is that A Pearce is good, D Pearce is frustrating, and I need to stop watching blowouts at 3/4 time so i don't annoy myself and everyone around me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've also been really impressed with how Sheridan is developing as well. He's definitely cemented himself in the best 22 at this stage. Crozier had a good game too, just needs to keep at it.

Does anyone see Ballas coming back into the team?

He's #2 in the team for meters gained, after Hill. That's why he keeps getting picked every week.
Except Hill either hits a target or puts the ball into a dangerous position, Pearce causes a direct turnover 50m down the field.

If Pearce is injured (toe) then I reckon Sutcliffe should fill his role with C.Pearce possibly coming in down back.

Not as far as I'm aware but we'll find out later today if the MRP decide to have a look.

An egirl supporter in the office reckons it will happen. Mentioned it looked like Le Cras. I was like, "Walters is a lot more shoulder. Le Cras is quite flush" BUT nothing surprises me with the MRP.

I've also been really impressed with how Sheridan is developing as well. He's definitely cemented himself in the best 22 at this stage. Crozier had a good game too, just needs to keep at it.

Does anyone see Ballas coming back into the team?

Had a good game and when his disposals are hitting targets, he really looks good. Prefer him over Sutcliffe coming out of the back. Squeak lacks polish in his disposals.

An egirl supporter in the office reckons it will happen. Mentioned it looked like Le Cras. I was like, "Walters is a lot more shoulder. Le Cras is quite flush" BUT nothing surprises me with the MRP.

If I remember the incident correctly, there wasn't really anything Walters could do to avoid the contact.

If I remember the incident correctly, there wasn't really anything Walters could do to avoid the contact.

Nor Micky Barlow.

None of the post game media suggests that we have anything to worry about, Le Crass on the other hand has been tried, convicted and shot already , even by the Perth media.

I just listened to the full post-match conference with Ross Lyon. Was that the first time that he has ever admitted to putting the cue in the rack in the last quarter?

Normally he gives the other team the platitudes for coming back at us, but this time no. We wound back the intensity, took the foot off the gas due players tightening up, then placed the pool cue back in the rack next to the triangle, cross rest and spider.

On the uncontested possessions, there were a number of times where we were handballing it around in a circle, under increasing pressure. It then hits DP in 2m of space and he throws it on the boot to get it downfield 50m. Often, these are rebounded (or OOTF). Fyfe (and others) do the same thing. It happens too often to be coincidence, so obviously they are happy for metres gained and a stoppage or metres gained and the opportunity to reset structures.

As has been mentioned after every game, Danyle must be doing his job well enough because he's played every game since coming here. He is not as good as Hill (though as mentioned previously his DE% is better than Hill's) and in time somebody may pass him, but until then he is clearly in our best 21.

On the uncontested possessions, there were a number of times where we were handballing it around in a circle, under increasing pressure. It then hits DP in 2m of space and he throws it on the boot to get it downfield 50m. Often, these are rebounded (or OOTF). Fyfe (and others) do the same thing. It happens too often to be coincidence, so obviously they are happy for metres gained and a stoppage or metres gained and the opportunity to reset structures.

As has been mentioned after every game, Danyle must be doing his job well enough because he's played every game since coming here. He is not as good as Hill (though as mentioned previously his DE% is better than Hill's) and in time somebody may pass him, but until then he is clearly in our best 21.

D Pearce was in the best Freo nominated players so the club must think he is doing something right.

I just listened to the full post-match conference with Ross Lyon. Was that the first time that he has ever admitted to putting the cue in the rack in the last quarter?

Normally he gives the other team the platitudes for coming back at us, but this time no. We wound back the intensity, took the foot off the gas due players tightening up, then placed the pool cue back in the rack next to the triangle, cross rest and spider.

Who was the 14 year old asking him questions :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back