Autopsy Rd 20 The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

I was frustrated with the one on one moments that JW had with hooker.

Got outbodied several times and if hooker could kick the result would have been far greater

I understand If he's being "taught" to play through injury but needs to go harder for longer, Mentally as well as physically
Yeah but he didn't kick straight and it's been an ongoing problem. Essendon would be better off with Hooker playing in defence using his marking strength to its advantage. Hope they don't read Big Footy. I would hate to help them but it really is a no brainer.

As for Jacob. I thought that was his best game in a while. On occasions he looked like the player we saw during his debut year.

Depends on list changes over the off-season, but I can still see us finishing bottom 4 next year, and 2019 when we start moving up the ladder.

Absolutely. Look at this year - we're clearly better but will finish lower. We'll be better again next year but not sure it will be borne out in terms of ladder position to any great degree. 2019 is when I want to see signs of life

I was frustrated with the one on one moments that JW had with hooker.

Got outbodied several times and if hooker could kick the result would have been far greater

I understand If he's being "taught" to play through injury but needs to go harder for longer, Mentally as well as physically
He is used to being way stronger than opponents. Last year he was playing a loose man/intercept role.

Needs time to learn bodywork against hardened experienced bodies (Hooker is 28yo).

Just have to give him time.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is used to being way stronger than opponents. Last year he was playing a loose man/intercept role.

Needs time to learn bodywork against hardened experienced bodies (Hooker is 28yo).

Happy to give him time....he's going to be. 10-12 year player for us. But he needs to learn along the journey

Hooker got some pretty good delivery though.

Also i think Weitering just need the experience to time his run with the ball coming in and the lead.

A few times he was caught flat footed when Hooker took of and he isn't fast enough to catch up. So if he improves timing of runs and bodywork, he will be heaps better.

He isnt way stronger than the opposition anymore and is playing a lockdown role. It's going to take hin time to learn and adjust habits. He will though, just needs to be given time to make the mistakes and learn from them.

Better to be getting the lessons now.

A number of times it was just Weitering being slow to react. I had a perfect view of it and they made mention of Weitering losing Hooker on Triple M a few times in the fourth.

Obviously a second year player isn't going to read the play like a veteran but it was disappointing to see someone of Hooker's caliber essentially change the game in the last quarter.

A number of times it was just Weitering being slow to react. I had a perfect view of it and they made mention of Weitering losing Hooker on Triple M a few times in the fourth.

Obviously a second year player isn't going to read the play like a veteran but it was disappointing to see someone of Hooker's caliber essentially change the game in the last quarter.

It is interesting how you keep mentioning "someone of Hooker's calibre". Don't think it is a stretch to suggest he would be in our starting 22 at present either

It is interesting how you keep mentioning "someone of Hooker's calibre". Don't think it is a stretch to suggest he would be in our starting 22 at present either
I'm not saying he's a spud but he was leading and marking the ball in that last quarter like he was Wayne Carey.

He is a handy player but he shouldn't be allowed to impact a quarter like that. He did it against North too but that was on a tired second gamer.

I'm not saying he's a spud but he was leading and marking the ball in that last quarter like he was Wayne Carey.

He is a handy player but he shouldn't be allowed to impact a quarter like that. He did it against North too but that was on a tired second gamer.

Hooker also kicked 5 against Port. For a guy that started as a serviceable backman, to great intercept mark, he has probably spent only 60% of his time this year as a forward and kicked 35 goals, I would rate him above "serviceable" and would easily be in our best 22 as a forward

I understand the point you are trying to make, but given JW is only 19, think he just needs more game time to develop. Perhaps the reports of him being injuried are true, if that is the case, put him out to pasture for the rest of the season

On this, and this alone, I disagree.

Weits plays smart; if he makes contact, it's early at at the right angle to push his opponent off balance. All he needs is the tiniest bit of separation, and he'll mark the ball. The proviso here is that he needs to be trying to mark the ball; he's not a natural defender, like a Sam Rowe is, who's first inclination is to engage and protect the space, Weitering needs to have the confidence, in his skills and his body, to beat his opponent and mark the ball.

He got beaten early because Hooker is stronger and faster than him, and because the quality of disposal to Hooker was exemplary early, and his confidence was down. Hooker looked terrific late because the rest of the backline, in the absence of Doc, became very individualistic when compared to how we usually play with him down there; Marchbank, Doc, Plowman or Jones would have cut off Hooker's leads when Weitering yelled out he lost him; it's one of our backlines strengths. They all work for each other.

As things go, I don't think Weitering will have any trouble developing as either a defender OR a forward; it is in the different mindsets that there is a development issue. I said this last year; either play him as a forward permanently, or play him down back, permanently. Let him learn a position firs, before muddying the waters.

JW may have had some nice touches on the weekend by defensively had an absolute shocker.

At the end of the day, defenders are there to defend and he let Hooker have far too many looks at goal to consider it a good game.

Tippingwoody (sic) was the diff on Saturday. He received the free rein instruction at orange time and was all over the ground in the last quarter. In these days of team defence that can cause serious problems as it appeared to me he was roaming around collecting loose balls without a direct opponent. There I said it. The coaches stuffed up in the last quarter by not putting a run with player on Essendon's match winner.

Tippingwoody (sic) was the diff on Saturday. He received the free rein instruction at orange time and was all over the ground in the last quarter. In these days of team defence that can cause serious problems as it appeared to me he was roaming around collecting loose balls without a direct opponent. There I said it. The coaches stuffed up in the last quarter by not putting a run with player on Essendon's match winner.
I think we really lack a few smalls who can do that sort of job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacob's failure to stop the Essendon mids' swift ball movement through the middle on Saturday showed a concerning lack of effort. Meant it left him with little option to stop Cale Hooker, an All Australian, once the ball flowed into the forward line. He could've also used the jedi mind trick, a tried & tested way of ensuring the opposition with a clear path to the forward line don't kick to their forward's advantage.
Nonetheless, i do hold hopes for Jacob, he is 19 and appears to be gradually responding to the challenge by the coaches to work on the weaknesses in his game, like other youngsters have.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very excited to see what these guys can do with another preseason under their belt. I really think Pickett could be a wildcard for us next year.
Will be our version of Cyril but with a harder edge.

JW may have had some nice touches on the weekend by defensively had an absolute shocker.

At the end of the day, defenders are there to defend and he let Hooker have far too many looks at goal to consider it a good game.
With so many interceptors, we need our defenders to work together to outnumber their opponents at the drop of the ball. Weitering vs Hooker was a genuine 1v1 battle, something that current AFL level forwards crave.

It's very old-fashioned to be of the 'defenders are there to defend' mindset. Defenders don't only do that, otherwise Sam Rowe'd be on 1.5 million a year.

yes he has done this earlier in the year as well , but still got dropped. Consistency is the problem
Each time I watched the 'Ants and he played, he looked a clear mark above that level for about 30 minutes, then he simply couldn't run; he'd hit a pack at pace, and be gone and off before anyone knew what happened. He'd deliver a 50 metre pass into the corridor to a bloke who didn't even know he was out until he marked it.

Consistency is something he needs, certainly, but for me all he needs is continuity and fitness; he'll find consistency, if his body holds up and his confidence grows. He could be similar to Wells if he makes a go of it; could very well be our best pick up out of GWS.

I genuinely mean that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back